How do you know your hair hates cones??

chiprecious

To all those against silicones in your products...why?

How did your hair react?

I notice that sometimes the leave ins with too much silicone tend to block moisture from my hair.

well the reason u stated above about blocking moisture is the same reason most avoid it in their products. Some hair can tolerate more than others. i learned i have to be on a no cone rule for daily moisturizers and leave ins especially. Or else my hair will dry up. The only time my hair comes in contact with them is thru conditioners..and i have strict cone rules with that too. as a result...i dont use a lot of great brands that are praised on this board due to their cones like redken

I'm in the learning process of which cone's to avoid and which ones are okay. Water soluable cones are okay for me, if they are not water soluable, then, no matter how great the product makes my hair look, my hair will feel hard to the touch. Also conditioners and products that contain cones that my hair don't like will sit on my hair, leave a nasty residue and will be hard to wash out.

My hair feels REALLY good while it's wet - amazingly so. Then, it dries, and it feels - dry. Crunchy. No matter what I put on it/use, it'll feel dry. The longer I keep using the product, the drier my hair feels/gets, until it'll actually start breaking off.

This thread is really interesting!

I totally avoid any cones in my conditioners because they feel great when wet but when it dries it will be crispy, crunchy, and stiff.

However, I can use leave ins with cones like Cantu leave in and a heavy olive oil moisturizer from stay so fro's kids line.

I guess the leave ins are alright because I use them after oil rinses and with oils. I don't worry about build up because I use baking soda with practically every co-wash at least twice a week.

thank you so much for this thread. After reading what everyone had to say, I went and washed my hair. It had been doing great. I was using cone free products. Then, I thought I would try cones again since I have a gallon of KeraCare conditioner and other cone products. My hair was fine the first day and then it seemed to break after two or three days. It felt great under the shower water but strange after dry. I used Paul Mitchell Tea Tree shampoo (generic) and Aveeda Shampure. I'm sitting right now with cone free deep conditioner on.:clap:

Yep, dry, dull, hard hair.
I use as few as possible or use them close to wash day if I used a heat protectant for flat ironing.

I used Garnier length and strength mixed with moisturizing condish and did a rinse with water and baking soda. Hair feels sooo soft and strong!

I haven't detailed and experimented a lot, but products that are really heavy in cones I find make my hair stick together, like a glue.

Cones leave my hair feeling dry, stiff and slick. :nono:

For me it doesn't matter what kind of cone it is. If I see it in the ingredient list I know to just walk away and go on about my business.

i like conditioner with cones

BUT cones leave-in or daily moisturizer makes my hair feel stiff, DULL(it looks gray to me), dry-ish and blah

Could it be that our hair is missing something in order to make cones work for us? meaning its missing protein or moisture via DCing?

Sorry Ladies. I'm still learning. Are cones classified as ant ingredient that ends in "cone" Or is there more to it? Because, I love my hair when it's wet but after it dries to fight begins.

If so I may have stumbled upon my dryness-breakage issue root cause

Wow thanks ladies for clearing this up!! I was originally using MOP conditioners for my cowashes and my hair was doing great, always soft, even after a wash. But it soo expensive to keep up with esp. if your addicted to cowashing.
So I thought that i would try VO5 and after a few washes i noticed a difference. My ends became extremely dry and hard, no matter what products i used. I ended up having to trim a inch(may not sound a lot to some but its a major setback for me)
I decided to stick to Baking soda and ACV because they are safe and cheap
I'll use the MOP in my DC's.
Thanks great thread ladies.

My relaxed 4b hair absolutely HATES HATES HATES cones.:wallbash: It rebelled against CHI Iron guard, it rebelled against Kenra Provision Daily Leave-in...The minute I spray these products in my hair, it gets hard, and tangled all by itself. If I even think about trying to get my jilbere thru it.....forget it. I just have to go and wash that stuff out. Go figure.

Now there definitely are SOME cone products that my hair agrees with, but (1) the cones have to be wayyyy down at the bottom of the ingredients list, and (2) the product has to be more on the creamy side rather that watery side.:ohwell:

My hair SEEMS to love cones, I use Biosilk/redken heatglide and Lacio every week and those are nothin but a bottle full of cones... but maybe i shouldnt be using so often. I havent noticed any buildup issues or dryness tho

Last edited:
Sorry Ladies. I'm still learning. Are cones classified as ant ingredient that ends in "cone" Or is there more to it? Because, I love my hair when it's wet but after it dries to fight begins.

If so I may have stumbled upon my dryness-breakage issue root cause

Yes. Cyclopentasiloxane is also a silicone.

well the reason u stated above about blocking moisture is the same reason most avoid it in their products. Some hair can tolerate more than others. i learned i have to be on a no cone rule for daily moisturizers and leave ins especially. Or else my hair will dry up. The only time my hair comes in contact with them is thru conditioners..and i have strict cone rules with that too. as a result...i dont use a lot of great brands that are praised on this board due to their cones like redken

I didn't really like the feel of Redken Smooth Down Butter Blend on my hair.
I will probably not repurchase this product.

I've been using my mixture of Aloe Vera juice and other goodies and I'm notice that my hair LOVES it....if I need something heavier, I'll add some shea butter mixture to it....

My hair feels REALLY good while it's wet - amazingly so. Then, it dries, and it feels - dry. Crunchy. No matter what I put on it/use, it'll feel dry. The longer I keep using the product, the drier my hair feels/gets, until it'll actually start breaking off.

I get the exact same thing!!!

I think my hair loves cones, it makes my hair soft, extremely shiny.
My hair is dull and crunchy when I use products without a cone in it weird.

Back