How do you know which protein treatment is right for you?

kaytorry

Hey Everybody,
I would like to know how you found out which protein treatment is right for you? I am currently using apogee two step protein. Although I like how it makes my hair feel strong, I found myself having to put extra moisture on my ends. This could have possibly been due to protein overload because I used Salerm 21 leave in after I deep conditioned. Anyway, how Is you hair supposed to feel after a protein treatment? How do you know if it's too much or not enough?

Through Trial and Error..... My fav Protein treatments are Mizani Strengthening Gelee and Keracare Super Reconstructor. Your hair is supposed to feel a bit dry right after a protein treatment and you follow up with a moisturizing conditioner. The aphogee treatment is a hardcore protein treatment and for someone with Extreme breakage and damage.

I use a light protein (basically a reconstructor) weekly.

I save my Medium/Heavier Proteins a week or so before Relaxing and about a Week afterwards.

My Hair feels good & strong incorporating a light protein/reconstructor weekly.

I always follow up with a Moisturizing Deep conditioner and usually with Heat.

This has been working famously for me.

Through Trial and Error....

^^My exact sentiments.

OP, if you find hardcore protein too strong, you might try a reconstructor like @Dommo and I do. Before I ever knew of pure proteins, I learned of treatments from Cathy Howse whose "treatment" was using a conditioner that had both protein and moisturizing properties in one. Then I came across an article that warned against the dangers of using pure protein when you're not a pro because ODing on protein could lead to brittle strands. The article recommended reconstructors (products that are both strengthening and moisturizing conditioners) thus echoing Cathy's suggestion. So I have always used them and I was lucky they were my first trial and they've worked well for me. I use them once a week, namely Nexxus Emergencee or AO GPB.

@kaytorry - I was using Aphogee 2 min keratin reconstructor weekly for a very long time. I thought that's what my hair wanted. I noticed other relaxed heads were doing it, so it must be a good thing for me also. Right? Um, wrong. @Dommo mentions, it's about trial and error. For the past few months, I've been attempting to "listen" to my hair. You'll hear that a lot around LHCF -- listen to your hair. So right now, I'm listening and will incorporate protein when my hair feels it's time. Previously, I was using it just to be using it to fit in with the other girls. Not a good idea. It's a newbie mistake; charge it to the game.

@IDareT'sHair - which reconstructor are you using, miss?

@divachyk

Here's some I have in my Stash. I Use a Reconstructor Weekly. (So...In no particular order)

She Scent It Okra
Nexxus Emergencee/Nexxus Keraphix
Joico K-Pak
Sebastian Penetraitt
Tigi Dumb Blonde
L'anza Reconstructor
AG Fast Food Reconstructor
Redken Rescue Force
Dudley Hair Rebuilder
Ion Effective Care Intensive something......

ETA: Jasmine's Rebuilder/Reconstructor

Last edited:
Listening to your hair....some GREAT advice. But practically, its kinda hard for a new person to get right early on. I think it also helps to know what to look for IF things go wrong like more than NORMAL breakage after a protein treatment, dry/brittle hair, or clean hair that is unresponsive to its normal styling products.

I had to try a few products before I hit on the method that works for me. I use protein weekly because it addresses issues for me. I am seeing results such as a thickening of my fine hair. But, we have to keep in mind that unless we see immediate negative results, it will take a while to see positive ones such as thickening.

@divachyk

Here's some I have in my Stash. I Use a Reconstructor Weekly. (So...In no particular order)

She Scent It Okra
Joico K-Pak
Sebastian Penetraitt
Tigi Dumb Blonde
L'anza Reconstructor
Redken Rescue Force
Dudley Hair Rebuilder

I LURVE THIS I use it once a month 20 min. However I dont follow it up with a moisturizing conditioner I find I dont need to. It leaves my hair soft and strong and elastic.

@ the OP I dont use any real treatments because I dont feel my hair needs them.

I use a protein shampoo and condtioner, Millcreek Keratin 1x a month

I just started incorporating using Millcreek Biotin as a leave in 1x a week and that has really helped my hair. I think I may increase it to 2x a week. It was intended to be a rinse out but it did not work for me that way. My hair has felt much better since using this for th past 2 weeks.

Listening to your hair....some GREAT advice. But practically, its kinda hard for a new person to get right early on. I think it also helps to know what to look for IF things go wrong like more than NORMAL breakage after a protein treatment, dry/brittle hair, or clean hair that is unresponsive to its normal styling products.

I had to try a few products before I hit on the method that works for me. I use protein weekly because it addresses issues for me. I am seeing results such as a thickening of my fine hair. But, we have to keep in mind that unless we see immediate negative results, it will take a while to see positive ones such as thickening.

This is key.

Like I mentioned before I dont use treatments however I was using Palmers cholesterol and I noticed that my hair was breaking more than usual for about a week. I am pissed because I have about 6 jars in my closet. I have to find away to use them up

This is key.

Like I mentioned before I dont use treatments however I was using Palmers cholesterol and I noticed that my hair was breaking more than usual for about a week. I am pissed because I have about 6 jars in my closet. I have to find away to use them up

Its great that you noted what was going on with your hair before and after so that you could correct it right away.

And the bolded is why I am so scared to stock up on products more than one or two bottles, if that much. What are you going to do?

Trial and error. I can usually tell immediately applying the product if my hair likes it. A protein treatment does not automatically mean hard, dry hair. Protein helps hair retain moisture as well. If my hair feels stiff and is difficult to manipulate, I don't use that product anymore. It's basically trial and error. My fav treatment is Hydrotherma Naturals Amino Plus Protein treatment and good ole ORS Hair Mayo.

@divachyk

She Scent It Okra
Joico K-Pak
Sebastian Penetraitt
Tigi Dumb Blonde
L'anza Reconstructor
Redken Rescue Force
Dudley Hair Rebuilder

Do you have a favorite? which one do you find most effective?

This is great. I actually just did an Aphogee 2 step tonight. I need to find something good to use on a weekly basis to keep my P/M balance in check. I'm finding that I need protein more than I thought I did

Its great that you noted what was going on with your hair before and after so that you could correct it right away.

And the bolded is why I am so scared to stock up on products more than one or two bottles, if that much. What are you going to do?

I am not sure

The thing was when I was a natty head my hair was okay with it 1x a month. Maybe when I am not relaxed so straight my hair will be able to tolerate it every 8 weeks.

I probably will just sell them because this product has been discontinued. Someone may be looking for it. I might just throw them away and chalk it up as a loss.

Trial and error. I can usually tell immediately applying the product if my hair likes it. A protein treatment does not automatically mean hard, dry hair. Protein helps hair retain moisture as well. If my hair feels stiff and is difficult to manipulate, I don't use that product anymore. It's basically trial and error. My fav treatment is Hydrotherma Naturals Amino Plus Protein treatment and good ole ORS Hair Mayo.

@Your Cheeizness

I Totally Agree (with the Bolded Points).:yep: I also love HTN Amino Plus Protein:lick:

Dommo: I saw that Mizani Gelee in the clearance section at Ulta. I was intrigued but I resisted! Oh you can use the Ulta coupons on clearance items too.

I have just started with protein. I'm liking the Aphogee 2 min. It doesn't leave my hair hard. I'm too scared to try the 2 step.

In my experience Aphogee 2min reconstructor, CPR, and KeraPro (which is the perfect combo of Protein & moisture) work best for me, things like Duotex make my hair brittle, hard and difficult to manage.

For hardcore Protein I use Egg mixed with oil and that works well, but ONLY if you do a good DC afterwards

When I was transitioning I used a reconstructor weekly- Sally's GVP version of Joico K-Pak. I had just started my hair journey and had never used protein or a reconstructor on my own. I did it because that was what I learned here on the board and it worked really well for me. After I BC'd I mistakenly thought I didn't need as much protein and only used protein treatments maybe 3-4 times in one year. My hair paid dearly for it. I have finally learned in the last few months that my hair needs regular treatments, and have finally decided to incorporate them weekly once again. Right now I DC with Mills Creek Biotin conditioner 1x a week and I DC with a moisturizing conditioner on a different day. I don't know if I will continue with the Mills Creek or go back to the Sally's GVP but I will make sure to use protein treatments weekly, at least until my hair tells me differently.

@Dommo: I saw that Mizani Gelee in the clearance section at Ulta. I was intrigued but I resisted! Oh you can use the Ulta coupons on clearance items too.

I have just started with protein. I'm liking the Aphogee 2 min. It doesn't leave my hair hard. I'm too scared to try the 2 step.

Don't be. I was scared b/c everyone else was scared. But really, it's one of the best things I have done for my hair. I wish I had done it earlier.

@Dommo: I saw that Mizani Gelee in the clearance section at Ulta. I was intrigued but I resisted! Oh you can use the Ulta coupons on clearance items too.

@ the bolded -- know opinions may vary but I wasn't scared of it and used it periodically here and there. I then used it without listening to my hair and protein overloaded so be cautious but not scared. :yep:

I find that my fine hair is still weak IMO. A lil' tug and 'pop!' I'm not sure if it's the amount of stress that was too much OR if it's my strands are so fine that no matter what I do, they'll always be fragile.

Nonie, if you can find that article I'd love to read it!
Also, I though that Emergencee was different from protein in that it coats the hair (invisible layer) vs. rebuilding the hair's missing or loss of protein?

Nonie, if you can find that article I'd love to read it!
Also, I though that Emergencee was different from protein in that it coats the hair (invisible layer) vs. rebuilding the hair's missing or loss of protein?

Fine 4s I have never heard that Emergencee just coats but I do know that when I was introduced to it, my hair was in a jheri curl and breaking like crazy and that stopped in its tracks after one treatment.

This is what Nexxus folks say it does:
Emergencée Strengthening Polymeric Reconstructor is unsurpassed in repairing and strengthening hopelessly damaged hair. Emergencée is unmatched in stopping hair breakage. This exceptional formulation contains a renewing blend of Polymers, Elastins, Amino Acids and Collagen, creating an internal framework within the hair shaft to restore integrity. Use once every two weeks to structurally reinforce hair that has been chemically damaged or abused by thermal styling appliances. Each treatment will dramatically improve hair's health, condition and shine.

The article I was talking about is no longer up but I first posted it with the link reference in this post.

Last edited:
OK- I think polymers work differently than protein, not sure. I read that info here and I wish whoever it was that introduced that concept to me could come clarify but I have no clue who said it. Let me see if I can find the post (I might have saved it somewhere.)

Here's what I found in my docs on proteins...

Hmm.. Found this on another site. This may be the reason why it is safe to use Emergencee weekly. Does anyone know the difference between polymetric and protein conditioners??

"Nexxus Emergencee is not PROTEIN treatment like Ouidad, Redken Deep Fuel, or even Keraphix. (The ingredients are not the same.) It's a Polymeric treatment, which bonds hair together and preserves and promotes elasticity. (Proteins usually just ""fill up" spaces in the hair.) That said, after trying emergencee, it really works great to restrengthen the hair, but the results are different from protein treatments. I think those of us with serious hair repair work in front of us would benefit from alternating between protein and polymerics. "

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, the polymers in Emergencee actually wrap little fibers around the hair to keep it protected and in tact. Proteins penetrate and "fill in" as you said.

I think a clear rinse would be similar to a polymeric conditioner.

Sorry I missed this. I use them back to back and follow up with Biolage Ultrahydrating Conditioner or Lafier Lanolina Rinse. Both moisturize and hydrate my hair really well post protein tx.

Hey ladies

So would it be a good idea to use GPB for protein (to fill) and then follow up with Emergence (to coat)?

Polymetrics get into the difference between fortifying products and protein products. There really is a difference between the two and IMO they work best when used in tandem. I think alot of people who are experiencing alot of breakage and split ends even after decreasing manipulation and increasing protein usage, need to check out using more polymetric products and other fortification products. Its one thing to replenish protein into your hair but I have found that sealing this in so to speak with products like polymetric conditioners make the treatment more effective. Alot of times when you are suffering from weak hair, its not just protein depleted, your cuticle is also messed up from the constant back and forth swelling of too much moisture. This back and forth can cause the hair to stretch beyond its natural threshold and eventually it will break. This happens alot on the ends of the hair. At that point, a protein treatment just isn't enough. Its more effective to use a protein treatment and them supplement your regime with fortifying products.

This topic really does open up a lot of issues I have noticed for a while in how some of use troubleshoot. We tend to equate hard hair with too much protein which is not effective and our default answer to moisture problems is more moisture conditioner which again is not always effective.

Great thread. Glad is been bumped.

Never tested this but interesting nonetheless...
I also found this from Dr. Syed:

FYI, proteins are natural polymers - a polymer is a large macromolecule, which regular repeat units, and have very high molecular weights. I haven't done a lot of research into cationic polymeric conditioners, but I am aware of various polymers that have high heat tolerances. The polymer is most likely ionized to allow it to be water-soluble, because the majority of polymers are insoluble in water. Ionization allows the polymer chain to interact with the water molecules (which also ionizes naturally) to allow the polymer to then become soluble.

Polymerics, polymers :spinning:

Hmm... :scratchch I thought the word "polymer" just meant a large molecule made of a chain of atoms or simpler molecules (monomers)...so how are folks figuring out that polymers and proteins are different? Wouldn't a chain of amino acids be called a polymer?

prettyinpurple,
Slightly OT: So, where are you getting your Ulta coupons? I'm in their beauty club and have found some on their website before but would like to know where you get yours:look:?

Back OT: OP, I vote trial and error also. I am approx 95% natural (gradually trimming:lol: ). I mention that b/c a lot of natural heads here have noted a decreased need for any protein let alone one that is considered heavy weight like Aphogee 2 step. I have shown no signs of being protein sensitive. I usually do a protein treatment every 6 weeks or so unless I am coloring or flat ironing my hair. Then I do it before said event to guard against any possible threats from heat and chemicals. I also do a protein treatment or use a reconstructor the 1st CW after using heat or adding color. Again for maintenance/ preventative measures only.

@prettyinpurple,
Slightly OT: So, where are you getting your Ulta coupons? I'm in their beauty club and have found some on their website before but would like to know where you get yours:look:?

I get my coupons in the mail. They send a catalog every month with a new on the cover. You should also sign up for the emails as they will send discounts that way too.

I am adding the Ion Treatment to my Sally's list since I have a coupon to use tomorrow. My hair has been acting up lately but since I started using DC/Protein treatments more often things have been a lot better.

Nonie Fine 4s

I am trying to wrap my brain around how to use the Nexxus Emergencee. If I am following the discussion correctly, the recommended use is to alternate with a protein based product on a two-week schedule. Does that sound about right?

Back