How do you know when you have build-up on natural hair?

mg1979

This may be a stupid question, but when I was relaxed or even flat ironed my natural hair I could tell when I had product build-up. But on my curly hair, I'm not sure what to look for. What kind of symptoms indicate product build-up on natural hair?

I would say when you cowash and it takes a minute for your hair to really get wet. Also if your hair is looking crazy in a twist out or it just feels really dry and not like it's usual self you may have build up.

Typically you can feel and see build up.

You hair will not feel as clean and as smooth. Your hair will also not react to products as typically as well.

You can see it (its white). The hair will be sticky and not feel clean and sometimes tangly.

You can see it (its white). The hair will be sticky and not feel clean and sometimes tangly.

This. I just did a clarifying shampoo and DC this weekend. It feels like an entirely different head of hair now. My hair would not stay moisturized and the strands felt like they were stuck together when wet. It may also feel a bit stretchy

Thanks, ladies. I'm thinking the As I Am Hydration Elation builds up too much for me then. It seemed good while it was in my hair, it seemed moisturized and soft. But when I rinsed it...my hair felt really weird. Like it wasn't clean at all. And not soft and moisturized. Anyone else have this experience with that particular product?

-Tiny little white balls of product throughout your hair
-Dullness to hair color
-Dryness even after remoisturizing

Sent from my PG06100 using LHCF

Clairfying definitely helped.

I wonder if us low porosity ladies have a harder time identifying build-up since some of these happen anyway: white/product sitting on the hair, hair isn't moisturized, etc.

Back