How do you keep braidouts looking fresh?

onejamifan

Ladies, yesterday I wore my first official braid out (check out fotki) and I liked the way it turned out. Any way, when it was time to go to bed last night, I had no idea what to do with it, so I just put it in a scrunchie and wrapped my head with a scarf... well, this morning, my hair is FLAT:wallbash:. Can anyone recommend a way to style your braidout overnight in order to keep it looking nice for more than one day???

Thanks!

i would say braid it again at night, thats what i do and at that time you can mositurize your hair

I have to rebraid, but I've learned I don't have to rewet it. Add some oil or a light moisturizer and braid. I'm still dampening my ends (with a little moisturizer) though to keep them smooth. Maybe I can learn from this thread how I can keep from doing that.

i would say braid it again at night, thats what i do and at that time you can mositurize your hair

The first time around, I only put my sleep bonnet on it without plaiting and it was just a flat mess. :ohwell: Now, I lightly moisturize each section and then plait it up. The next morning it looks fine. HTH!

im natural...so i dont mind the way it looks on the 2nd i just refluff and go but i would suggest moisturising and rebraiding, u do not have to rewet! HTH

I usually pin curl mine after fingering a lil moisturizer thru em... then tie up... if by chance the curls are a lil too tight, the steam from the shower handles that

The only way I can keep mine fresh is to re-braid at night after applying a water based moisturizer to dampen my hair again. I do 2 or 4 braids, depending on what kind of waves I want.

im natural...so i dont mind the way it looks on the 2nd i just refluff and go but i would suggest moisturising and rebraiding, u do not have to rewet! HTH

that is a cute way to describe it!! That is what I do to. Though for me it would take too much time for me to rebraid every nite. So 'refluffing' with oils and moisturizers' would be my answer.

Ladies, yesterday I wore my first official braid out (check out fotki) and I liked the way it turned out. Any way, when it was time to go to bed last night, I had no idea what to do with it, so I just put it in a scrunchie and wrapped my head with a scarf... well, this morning, my hair is FLAT:wallbash:. Can anyone recommend a way to style your braidout overnight in order to keep it looking nice for more than one day???

Thanks!

Your hair looks beautiful!!!! What did you do to achieve this braidout? Did you braid if while hair was wet?, What products did you use, etc.. Thanks!!

Thanks!
I moisturize my ends and I rebraid mine dry. I pin curl the ends when pinning up the four braids. There's always enough moisture in my freshly washed hair to produce pretty waves the second and third time around.

ETA: Your braidout turned out beautiifully. :up: I was going to add a comment but they are not turned on. :)

Last edited:
I take a little bit of creamy moisturizer and "scrunch" the waves with my hands. It's a little flatter than the day before but the moisture does reactivate the waves.

I have no idea.
I hold up in humidity. Sleep...is a whole nother matter. LOL
If i were to sleep on my little crinkles they'd be too through in the morning.

So I usually just re-braid every night. I spray with my leave-in or oil and braid mine in many small squares. Then individually pin curl the braids secure with pins. It's a lot of work but smaller pin-curl braids look cute.

But it's not THAT bad. If you're braiding you can incorporate other hair activities into the mix. So i don't mind.

Gives me a reason to Co Wash.

I'm too lazy to rebraid every night. I cowash every other day I usually have a great braid out the day after my cowash, I'll sleep with my hair pulled up in a satin bonnet. In the morning I'll pin it loosely or put into a loose bun (I kinda like the messy look) then that night I'll cowash again. It's not much but for the most part I think it works for me.:ohwell:

my key to keep a good braid out is not comb thru hair...lightly finger comb....spray moisturizer again lightly seal with oil and braid 4-6 braids (pending on how i feel and how curly of a look im going for) and curl ends with curler.....

shake out in the morning and go.....:yep:

Back