How do you get the benefits of henna without the color?

justnotsure

I want to strengthen my hair (and possbly loosen my curl pattern) but I don't want to color my hair with the henna. Is there a way to do this? :ohwell:

I would mix it and apply it immediately. I wouldn't leave it on longer than 2 hours either. I'm not entirely sure though- I didn't care about the color one way or the other though so I would hold out for other responses. Also I think there is a neutral alternative to henna also- cassia maybe?

Yeah I read something about cassia but I'm not familiar with it. I already have the henna so I hope there is a way to do it without the color. Thanks for your response but I will hold out and see what others say.

I would mix it and apply it immediately. I wouldn't leave it on longer than 2 hours either. I'm not entirely sure though- I didn't care about the color one way or the other though so I would hold out for other responses. Also I think there is a neutral alternative to henna also- cassia maybe?

ITA with all above. You will get some color though, it can not be avoided. The more you use, the more color you will get. I use henna 1-2x/mnth and I use it immediately after mixing. I still have the auburn highlights. I would suggest also that you DC for an extended length of time after the henna - not just to combat dryness, but also to absorb some of the color. The DC should be somewhat darker when rinsed if used immediatley after a henna.

Cassia is phenomenal though. It is a staple in my regimen and I hate it when I run out.

Good Luck!!

Oh . . . and NO citrus when mixing. That will bring out the color even more.

ITA with all above. You will get some color though, it can not be avoided. The more you use, the more color you will get. I use henna 1-2x/mnth and I use it immediately after mixing. I still have the auburn highlights. I would suggest also that you DC for an extended length of time after the henna - not just to combat dryness, but also to absorb some of the color. The DC should be somewhat darker when rinsed if used immediatley after a henna.

Cassia is phenomenal though. It is a staple in my regimen and I hate it when I run out.

Good Luck!!

Oh . . . and NO citrus when mixing. That will bring out the color even more.

Thanks for sharing this. Do you mind me asking where you purchase your cassia from and what mixture you use when applying it? Do you alternate your cassia and henna treatments?
tia,
tishee

I used cassia for the first time yesterday. I bought 100 grams of it from www.mehandi.com . I mixed it with V05, lustrasilk conditioner, and some olive oil. It really made my hair feel stronger and thicker. I left it in for close to 5 hours. I will definitely be using it every 2 - 3 weeks. Even though they claim cassia is "neutral", it definitely does color your hair. It turned my gray strands a very sparkly light brown, but it didn't alter the color of the rest of my hair.

I used cassia for the first time yesterday. I bought 100 grams of it from www.mehandi.com . I mixed it with V05, lustrasilk conditioner, and some olive oil. It really made my hair feel stronger and thicker. I left it in for close to 5 hours. I will definitely be using it every 2 - 3 weeks. Even though they claim cassia is "neutral", it definitely does color your hair. It turned my gray strands a very sparkly light brown, but it didn't alter the color of the rest of my hair.

Cassia is not neutral for blond and gray/white/silver hair. It will do as you mentioned, turn them light brown, sometimes lighter than that, or yellow. I heard that there may be one that is completely neutral, I think it's the Zizyphus Spina Christ, which can be purchased from mehandi.com.

Ohhh...I'm definitely going to try the Cassia. Thanks for the advice guys. I am really trying to avoid the color just so that my hair will still match my half wig! LOL Any other regimens for Cassia? What do you mix yours with? I'm definitely ordering some of this ASAP...

I tried cassia on friday and I absolutely love it. I just mixed mine with water. I ordered it from mehandi.com also. I rinsed it out with conditioner and DC afterwards. My hair was very silky. I will be using it every two weeks. I want to try henna but I have some color that I have to grow out first, I do not want red hair.

I want to strengthen my hair (and possbly loosen my curl pattern) but I don't want to color my hair with the henna. Is there a way to do this? :ohwell:

Henna WILL deposit color. There is no way to avoid it depositing. You can mix it up and immediately apply to your hair and leave on for 4 hours to recevie a minimal amount of color. But, that's it. If you don't want color then you need to use Cassia instead. You will have to do it more often than Henna, but it won't deposit a color. I've used Cassia mixed with water and a little honey and it worked great. No color at all.

Cassia is not neutral for blond and gray/white/silver hair. It will do as you mentioned, turn them light brown, sometimes lighter than that, or yellow. I heard that there may be one that is completely neutral, I think it's the Zizyphus Spina Christ, which can be purchased from mehandi.com.

I've used Cassia and it did NOT alter the color of my grays at all. They were still gray.

i think i'll have to try cassia. i'm happy with my current color, & don't want to deepen it any further with more henna.

What exactly is a minimal amount of color? It's not going to make my off black/dark brown hair light red is it? I don't mind a little color, I just don't want it to be red or light brown.

What exactly is a minimal amount of color? It's not going to make my off black/dark brown hair light red is it? I don't mind a little color, I just don't want it to be red or light brown.

My natural hair is the darkest brown your hair can be (since there is no such thing as natural black hair) and it ONLY covers my gray's. I've done it 4 times now and MY natural hair color has not change in the least!! So when I say minimal I'm only referring to what others have said. Henna did not deposit any color on my natural hair!! However the ends of my hair is brown from a color and Henna did deposit color. But, it enriched the color. Like a deeper brown somewhat Auburn color.

If your hair is off black/dark brown. Your hair definitely won't turn red or even light brown as Henna will not lighten your hair color. It usually just enriches the color. Except for grays which it colors between copper, orange or red depending on the person. Mine turned copper the first time now they are more of an orangish color!! :grin:

Ok great I am going to go ahead with my henna treatment tonight then! I also just ordered 300g of Cassia from Mehandi.com ...What can I say? Product junkie I guess. I will try it and take pics tonight...I'll also give you guys an update on my transition process with some pictures. Thanks soooooo much ladies. If you have any other advice, please keep it coming!

Back