How do you do oil rinses??

Saida

I'm pretty sure I know how to do it, but I just wanted to ask anyway to be sure. I just put all my oils in the hair by night, and sleep in a scarf, and wash it out in the morning.

Can you oil rinse too much?? like if I was to do it every other day would that be tooo much oil rinsing?

I guess I just want some tips on how/what to/not do when it comes to oil rinses :)

After I shampoo, I massage the oil in my hair, let it sit for about 10-15 minutes under a conditioning cap. I rinse out in the hottest water that I can take and then I proceed to deep condition.

After I shampoo, I massage the oil in my hair, let it sit for about 10-15 minutes under a conditioning cap. I rinse out in the hottest water that I can take and then I proceed to deep condition.

:look: oh I guess I dont really know how to oil rinse then :) just made up my own thing.. :)

so would you say that you can do that every other day?

Rinse (or shampoo) your hair
Coat in your favorite oil (I've used olive, meadowfoam, dabur alma, and aphogee EFA oil, red palm oil/butter)
Rinse with warm/hot water
Apply conditioner
Rinse
Apply leave-in
Seal

IMO, I would think that would leave the hair too oily.

This morning I rinsed my hair in the shower, I applied cocunut, amla and sh(?) oil... then walked out the door.

Needless to say, I didn't do a rinse, and when I looked at my curls, I had cloudy chunks all throughout my hair. :lachen:It's cold here today and I don't look cute. Lawd....
As soon as I get home I'll be rinsing my hair:lachen:

I tried an experiment the other day (I did something similar last week, but I did shampoo and apply additonal conditioner after oil rinse) and it was fabulous on my 6 week post, thin/fine hair.

• Deep Condition w/heat on dry hair with Pantene R&N Breakage Defense Mask
  • Rinse out conditioner and saturate hair with EVOO.
  • Showered and then rinsed out EVOO with hot water while squeezing out the oil.
  • Apply Lacio Lacio leave-in detangle.
  • Smooth hair back and tie down with silk scarf overnight
The next morning my hair was BLING!!!! Soft, smooth, hydrated and no breakage or shedding. Not one hair. My new growth is smooth like I had a touch-up and it's been 2 days.

I have a hair appointment tomorrow, but I might cancel and stretch another week or 2 with this method.

I think I want to try this. Only thing is I'm paranoid about having nasty pimples on my back. It would give me the willies to have "ant" back. I will try when I have plenty of time to scrub down!

Rinse (or shampoo) your hair
Coat in your favorite oil (I've used olive, meadowfoam, dabur alma, and aphogee EFA oil, red palm oil/butter)
Rinse with warm/hot water
Apply conditioner
Rinse
Apply leave-in
Seal

I just did my first oil (alma) rinse, and I absolutely love the feel of my hair now. During each step I sat under a heat cap for 10min. I've partially air dried, used a blow dryer, then used a flat iron. (I have a special event tonight so I'm using heat)

My questions are:
1. How much oil should be used....to saturate or not?
and
2. Just how does one "seal" the hair ends?

I tried an experiment the other day (I did something similar last week, but I did shampoo and apply additonal conditioner after oil rinse) and it was fabulous on my 6 week post, thin/fine hair.

• Deep Condition w/heat on dry hair with Pantene R&N Breakage Defense Mask
  • Rinse out conditioner and saturate hair with EVOO.
  • Showered and then rinsed out EVOO with hot water while squeezing out the oil.
  • Apply Lacio Lacio leave-in detangle.
  • Smooth hair back and tie down with silk scarf overnight
The next morning my hair was BLING!!!! Soft, smooth, hydrated and no breakage or shedding. Not one hair. My new growth is smooth like I had a touch-up and it's been 2 days.

I have a hair appointment tomorrow, but I might cancel and stretch another week or 2 with this method.

ooooh SilverFox, thanks for posting this, I really like it. I dc on dry hair often so this is a great way to get my oil rinse in.

This morning I rinsed my hair in the shower, I applied cocunut, amla and sh(?) oil... then walked out the door.

Needless to say, I didn't do a rinse, and when I looked at my curls, I had cloudy chunks all throughout my hair. :lachen:It's cold here today and I don't look cute. Lawd....
As soon as I get home I'll be rinsing my hair:lachen:

That has happened to me before (couple of times) and I went to the restroom at my job and rinsed my hair. I cannot stand walking around with those white chunks in my hair.:look:

My oil rinses are hot oil treatments. I do them after I shampoo or before, make the oil hot, and put it on my hair and let it sit for about 30 minutes. Then rinse and deep condition my hair.

Last edited:
I finally got around to doing an oil rinse and I absolutely love it. I am so pleased with the result and texture of my hair. I will be doing oil rinses from now on.

When i do my oil rinses, i just heat the oil up and then put it in my hair. Do you guys rinse it out with hot water because you don't heat it up previously?

I really want to start oil rinsing. I have tons of oils sitting on my shelf and I just bought another huge jar of EVCO. Do you guys use a lot of oil each time you oil rinse?

I really want to start oil rinsing. I have tons of oils sitting on my shelf and I just bought another huge jar of EVCO. Do you guys use a lot of oil each time you oil rinse?
I personally started doing oil rinses recently with EVCO/EVOO/Wheat Germ Oil/ Avacodo Oil/ n Jojoba

I do them all the time thanks to Sareca and Moptop Maven.
I'm heavy handed, so sometimes I need a couple of additional co-washes to get rid of the excess oil. I find that oil dissolves very well in conditioner (more than in shampoo) and that the conditioner takes off the right amount. Lately I have been applying it to the last 2 or 3 inches of hair only.
I believe the quantity used varies with different kinds of oils and hair textures, but I make sure I reach and coat all my ends.

I'm really new at this. Has anyone ever done an oil rinse prior to a protein treatment such as Aphogee 2-minute?

Back