How do you care for a sew-in weave?

Godsway

Hi, :)

I am new on the board and I am already an addict. I love all of the discussions and great advice you guys give. I have recently cut off all of my dead ends and I just want to start rebuilding my hair. I want to get a sew-in weave to help in the growing process. But I am a little confused. I hear weaves can help grow your hair if you care for it correctly but if not cared for it can also damage it :eek: . I want a full head weave. How can I care for it properly to promote hair growth? :)

wash your hair at some point! a lot of people just dont wash b/c they wanna keep it fresh, but really washing brings the hair back to good condition. it takes away all the product buildup, and cleanses your scalp. you only need to do this like every other weeks, or even every 2 weeks. its up to you.

you can also get a braid spray, or some other moisturizing spray that you can fllip through your tracks and spray on your scalp and the braids every day. that will keep your hair from drying out, so when you go to take out the weave its not all a matted mess.

Did it help your hair grow? did you also use a creme moisturizer on the scalp underneath or did you just use a braid spray? And if you have a perm how do you keep your edges blended. Sometimes they can get really nappy when it's time for that perm!
Thanks for all the advice girl!

yea, i have a full sew-in right now and the edges are starting to peek out. i dont like to keep my hair done for more than a month anyway. after that i risk damage. my hair is delicate. i ordered a wig, so as soon as it comes, i'm taking this out and wearing it until i can get a perm.

you can use a creme mouisturizer too if thats what u want, but thats only going to get the scalp, not the braids.

i had my weave in since april and i have not washed it yet. it is a wet and wavy full head xcept the front which is braided. i just wet the rows, which are in twists and not braids, and oil my scalp once or twice a week. my hair has grown a lot....just make sure you take care of the hair thats out. oil it, wet it, do what u gotta do. HTH. :)

Back