How do I get this Hairstyle using my own hair???

sylver2

Hey, I am usually never the one to try different styles. I wear the same style everyday..but I love this.
Anyone know how I can achieve this style using my own hair?
How the heck do I get the front pulled back so tight like that and stay like that???

stepup5ky6.jpg

I know how to get the curls. I just don't know how to pull it back like that and what to hold it with.
I can see me in the mirror tonite trying but failing with mini bobby pins...lol

...take this pic to the BSS and buy some hair pieces. (I'm kidding)

I would say use mesh rollers. I'm sure her do was done using a hot curling iron, because they hold better for shorter periods of time (i.e. a photoshoot). But I'm thinking if you use a medium sized mesh roller, and then once the hair is roller set dry, take it out, wrap your hair and sit under the dryer for like 15 minutes, to soften the curl.

Take it out, put it in a high pony, or maybe tie back using a short scarf or banana clip (to get the fullness) - you can tell they didn't use a single pony tail holder because the pony tail is too full from top to bottom. Maybe it's two ponytails - one high and one low? I have a friend who's a stylist - and whenever she does my hair - I'm surprised at the number of ponytails she does to get a single uniform, but full look.

Use some Fantasia IC gel to get the front smoothed out. To get it pulled back that tight - I would use a fine toothed comb, and add gel to the back of the comb (the side that's facing my scalp) so that as I'm pulling through, it's putting gel in my hair. Put some cones on the end to make sure its healthy. And tease with a comb to give it the messy/sexy look.

Voila!!

:::man, i make it sound so easy:::

Last edited:
It looks like a phony pony with drop curls (curling iron).
Maybe you could pull it back in a high pony,and then bring some of the hair from your pony to the front and place it with some pins.

This style might just be a high ponytail. But I think a skinny headband or a tying a piece of string to pull the hair back would work. The curls would fall forward a bit to cover it.

MsNadi said:
...take this pic to the BSS and buy some hair pieces. (I'm kidding)

I would say use mesh rollers. I'm sure her do was done using a hot curling iron, because they hold better for shorter periods of time (i.e. a photoshoot). But I'm thinking if you use a medium sized mesh roller, and then once the hair is roller set dry, take it out, wrap your hair and sit under the dryer for like 15 minutes, to soften the curl.

Take it out, put it in a high pony, or maybe tie back using a short scarf or banana clip (to get the fullness) - you can tell they didn't use a single pony tail holder because the pony tail is too full from top to bottom. Maybe it's two ponytails - one high and one low? I have a friend who's a stylist - and whenever she does my hair - I'm surprised at the number of ponytails she does to get a single uniform, but full look.

Use some Fantasia IC gel to get the front smoothed out. To get it pulled back that tight - I would use a fine toothed comb, and add gel to the back of the comb (the side that's facing my scalp) so that as I'm pulling through, it's putting gel in my hair. Put some cones on the end to make sure its healthy. And tease with a comb to give it the messy/sexy look.

Voila!!

:::man, i make it sound so easy:::

OKAAAY this sounds so easy but I can tell its not..lol Thanks I will try this tonight, The back I'm going to do braidout look.

I like the idea of using the elastic wrap or a shoelace (cut off short). Something that holds the hair back without it minimizing the size of the ponytail (hence why I wouldn't recommend a ponytail holder).

It looks like it's curled for loose waves, the front is smoothed and the front half is up, the back half is down and wavy, nice style-Seee what you started, now I want it too. :lol:

MsNadi said:
I like the idea of using the elastic wrap or a shoelace (cut off short). Something that holds the hair back without it minimizing the size of the ponytail (hence why I wouldn't recommend a ponytail holder).

Yup..so I will have my hubby(yeh he'll luv that..lol) hold the top part of my hair back real tight while i tie the shoelace around it

sylver2 said:
Yup..so I will have my hubby(yeh he'll luv that..lol) hold the top part of my hair back real tight while i tie the shoelace around it

Awwwww, that's so cute!!!

I can't wait until I have a hubby to hold up my bush........

wait.....

that didn't sound right.

Anyway, yeah it looks like one big high pony and the rest is out. I know with my afro puff back in the day (okay about 2 years ago), I would use an elastic band to tie it up and it would create a big pretty puff. But then also I had a lot of resistance due to the texture of my hair and it held pretty well. Bobby pins may be the way to go.

sylver2 said:
Hey, I am usually never the one to try different styles. I wear the same style everyday..but I love this.
Anyone know how I can achieve this style using my own hair?
How the heck do I get the front pulled back so tight like that and stay like that???

stepup5ky6.jpg

I don't know if you go to hair stylists, but I would take the picture to a hair stylist you trust and ask them to style your own hair in the particular style as the picture and then watch to see how they do it. I use to do mine in a similar style but I had waves in the front. Oprah use to wear her hair sometime ago in a style with curls/waves all over, but the front part was pushed back and it had a few waves. I achieved the look using wave clips and it was very similar to Oprah's hair. I did it by smoothing back the front first with hair gel/styling gel to the middle part of my head. You can add a wave cap, scarf to hold it down and make it tighter, (perhaps style will look better after getting a fresh perm). The other hair in the back I left open. I didn't hold it with a ponytail holder, clip, nothing because I wanted fullness. I was going for a tighter curl so I used perm rods in small sections of my hair, curling some forward, some backwards, some sideways etc. Since you want a softer, looser curl, then the suggestions made, mesh rollers, big perm rods, perhaps even those steam rollers which I hear makes a nice curl that lasts. When I did my style I had a ton of hair rollers in my hair in the back and I kept them in overnight; but the style came out exactly as I wanted it. When you take the rollers out you have to play with it and pull apart some of the curls and move and position them where you want. Since you have a visual of what you want, keep that in mind as you are styling it after the curlers are removed. I was very pleased with my look. I don't have as much hair as Oprah, but you couldn't tell me nothing. It was full and very pretty. When it loosen up, it was even better. I got soooo many compliments, in fact people use to call me "sexy" when I wore that style. This is just my input, but personally, I don't think this style is that difficult to achieve. Just a little time and effort and I think you can do it!

cute style! I would love to try this also. But it looks to me like she has her natural hair in a pony and she is wearing this thick phony pony (of quality hair) that is styled this way. If u dont want to go the phony pony route, you would try it with a headband...but i'm unsure of how you would get it to be so 'high'....

I would pull and gel w/ic sparkillites in a high half pony and leave the rest hanging in the back.

Yea...there's no doubt in my mind she's got a piece going on. If for no other reason, you wouldn't want all that hairspray and heat on your own hair, to maintain the style.

But I like what the ladies are saying about half up half down. She might have done it in two pieces, with 2/3s of the hair pulled up into a high ponytail, and the back out, but pinned so that it follows the shape of the ponytail. Because its too full back there to be a single ponytail.

:)
sylver2 said:
OKAAAY this sounds so easy but I can tell its not..lol Thanks I will try this tonight, The back I'm going to do braidout look.
I think you can get that wave with a braidout, I can get one similar to it with two pigtails. Then do the high and low ponytails...good luck it is a pretty style.

This is my suggestion:
Choose your method to acheive the curls you desire (braid outs, flexi rods, etc.).
Part your hair in two sections (from ear to ear). Take two banana clips so that the hair can be spread out wide. Do the back section first. Make the ponytail high, amost close to the part. Spread the hair where it fills in the whole clip (you have enough hair to do this). Then take the front section place the banana clip where you want your highest point to be, then arrange your curls to cover the banana clips and the part. Since you have a lot of hair your hair will look very full and lush.

punchinella said:
This is my suggestion:
Choose your method to acheive the curls you desire (braid outs, flexi rods, etc.).
Part your hair in two sections (from ear to ear). Take two banana clips so that the hair can be spread out wide. Do the back section first. Make the ponytail high, amost close to the part. Spread the hair where it fills in the whole clip (you have enough hair to do this). Then take the front section place the banana clip where you want your highest point to be, then arrange your curls to cover the banana clips and the part. Since you have a lot of hair your hair will look very full and lush.

okay I feel dumb..biut what are banana clips?? and will they say banana clips on the package at the store

punchinella said:
abananand1.gif

Here is a picture of a banana clip, my suggestion is that you use it horizontally. They come in different sizes too. HTH :)

Oh, thanks so much. I remember those.

I like the total look, especially her eyelashes. Let us know how you come out. along with a step by step guide so I can do it too. :)

I would do a loose braid out, pull back only the top half of the hair, secure high with a holder and let the rest fall in the back.

I would do some kinda loose bantu knots. Take them down, mousse or gel the front and put on an ouchless band. Be sure to take pics, whoever you decide to work it.

I would do some kinda loose bantu knots. Take them down, mousse or gel the front and put on an ouchless band. Be sure to take pics, however you decide to work it.

After curling your hair the way you want, use a flexi clip to pull your hair back. With this kind of clip, you can have more volume at the top than you would with a ponytail or banana clip. You can fix your hair over it so that no one would see the clip and the little v's can be stretched to give you whatever shape you want (my sister used to do figure 8's with these clips). I found this picture at http://www.glitz4girlz.com/Browse_I...rent_ids/0,67/Name/Tortoise_Shell_Flexi-Combs but I got mine from CVS a while ago.

Attachments

• ban017.jpg
    ban017.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Did you get that hairstyle? Her curls look like the kind I got from the Salon She used Annie's Soft Twist rollers.

Back