How Did They Make Their Afros In The 60s,70s?

I've done it before lol

I used curlformers (with very light moisturizer) and then combed and brushed into oblivion. The key is dry (not very moisturised hair). It isn't "perfectly" round like the pics you posted because I didn't really try to make it perfect. Also my hair was probably armpit length or shorter in this pic.

P.s.: These pics are several years old btw lol

Combed out a little

IMG_7631.JPG

Combed out a lot

IMG_7632.JPG

I'm not a baby of the 70s but I'd wear my hair in a fro sometimes, just cause. If I remember correctly I'd put my hair in bantu knots (China bumps) after washing it, then pick it out. But this is back when I didn't have good hair care practices and wasn't afraid to rip that pick through my hair.

I'd love to do this style again (amongst many other) but I'm so scared to style with a comb or pick.

In the early 70's I wore a fro, from time to time, between press and curls. I braided my hair at night and picked it out and patted it into shape in the am. When I wanted to take it up a notch, I put a little water and grease or crisco on the ends and rolled up on curlers, rags or paper. It never really stayed perfect when it was picked out with a pick. Everything seemed to conspire to make some part of that perfect round shape flattened.

At one point I started just roller setting the whole braid or damp hair and picking it out with my fingers, just loving the effect, but I got criticized for not frizzing it out more. Now I see the look all the time, lol, my time finally came..

BTW picking a good pick should be like choosing a good comb. Some of those hand polished wooden ones from back in the day seemed very good. Seeing some of those demos of the fast picking out was definitely different from the slow careful picking out I learned. The record holder does hers with ease.

Last edited:
My parents used to carry around afro pics in the back pocket. lol There was Afro Sheen and braided hair at night for my mom.

I used to love Angela Bofill's fro on the cover over her Angel of the Night album. MJ had a great fro in that pick.

I loved Shirley's afro from What's happening.

Back