How COme Stars That Consistently Wear Weaves Are Still Baldheaded?

TowsonGirl

Has anyone else noticed that stars who wear weaves (or other protective styles such as LF'S, etc) back to back still dont have long hair? I wonder why that is. :perplexed I would think that if they were protective-styling for long periods of time like that, their natural hair would be flowing down their back. But this isnt the case for a lot of ppl I've seen. (this also goes for people I know personally who ONLY wear weaves or braids, but still have only like 3" of hair on their heads). I've always been puzzled by this

So what do you guys think? Do you know why some ppl fail to see any growth?

TowsonGirl said:
Has anyone else noticed that stars who wear weaves (or other protective styles such as LF'S, etc) back to back still dont have long hair? I wonder why that is. :perplexed I would think that if they were protective-styling for long periods of time like that, their natural hair would be flowing down their back. But this isnt the case for a lot of ppl I've seen. (this also goes for people I know personally who ONLY wear weaves or braids, but still have only like 3" of hair on their heads). I've always been puzzled by this

Because a lot of people who wear weaves don't practice healthy hair techniques. They get the weave in and may spray something on it from time to time and wash their hair every once in a blue moon, but that's it. Then they wonder why their hair breaks off with a weave or braids when they're taken out. Protective styling alone won't grow your hair. Hair needs the correct balance of moisture and protein and when it doesn't get it, it breaks off.

Maybe they have not been taught to care for their hair properly. Maybe they need to switch stylists.

I mean look at Brandy. She kept her hair in braids for years and that hairline suffered. I remember hearing Beyonce's hair suffered also. And I think I also heard a news item about Paris Hilton's hair being ruined by weaves.

I am wondering that about a few folks in real life also. I think they just don't take care of their hair and use weaves as some kinda quick fix/hair cover up. :(

Personally I think wearing them for years is just not good. For a set time to protect you hair, yeah, but all the time, over and over again. That is not good at all.

I know I would *LOVE* to see Beyonce, Mary J. Blige, and Britney Spears' real hair. They've worn other people's hair so long that their own hair has probably up and shrunk back into their own scalps.:lol:

preciousjewel76 said:
I know I would *LOVE* to see Beyonce, Mary J. Blige, and Britney Spears' real hair. They've worn other people's hair so long that their own hair has probably up and shrunk back into their own scalps.:lol:

:lachen: :lachen: :lachen: :lachen:

I suspect that they jsut aren't taking good care of their own hair - and why would they? They can afford OPH any time they want it, and they don't have to worry bout washing they OWN heads just so when they aren't being primped and fluffed..... Jsut cuz you ahve money, don't mean you know anything MORE about healthy hair care than we do!

HoneyDew said:
Personally I think wearing them for years is just not good. For a set time to protect you hair, yeah, but all the time, over and over again. That is not good at all.
I wholeheartedly agree with you. I think women get so caught up in the weave they neglect the natural hair underneath that should be given extra-special care. It's often a shame because women can grow and maintain fabulous heads of their own hair. Shoot, this forum is a living testament of that. There are plenty members with hair that I think is just awesome - relaxed, texturized and natural. :yep:

preciousjewel76 said:
I know I would *LOVE* to see Beyonce, Mary J. Blige, and Britney Spears' real hair. They've worn other people's hair so long that their own hair has probably up and shrunk back into their own scalps.
I wonder that all the time myself. I joke a lot with a friend of mine and her sister (they are both hairdressers) about how much hair some of our most notorious weave-wearing celebrities really have.

Last edited:
Weaves can allow your hair to rest and be protected so that you can retain length. The problem is that's all the do put in the weave and leave it alone. I've talked to girls who leave in a weave for 2 or more months and never wash their hair:eek: :eek: :eek: !!!!!!!! They don't understand how I can wash my hair with a weave in! And since they don't wash, they most certainly aren't moisturizing or treating the hair underneath.

Another issue is that most professional weavers make the cornrows too small and too tight!!!!!!!! The only professional weave I ever had caused my hair to thin terribly and I had to cut it to even it back out. The person who did it made the braids too tight and small, she also put a weave in on the day my hair was relaxed :eek: :eek: , big no no! And this was at one of those high end black salons in NY!

Another reason they go bald is that they leave the weave in way toooo long in my opinion. I leave mine in for 4-5 weeks, and more likely 4. I don't want my hair matting underneath so 5 weeks is top for me.

Anyway I believe the women who weave and go bald, go bald for the reasons I listed above.

All you have to do for a heathly weaving process is to not do the braids small or tight, don't leave the weave in too long, wash/condition regularly, moisturize everyday.

TowsonGirl said:

I understand. I have a friend who knows a celebrity stylist and she made mention about Naomi Campbell's real hair. It's nonexistent. She says in fashion shows they do whatever to your hair as long as it looks good for the shoot or runway.

But what really surprises me is that most celeb keep their weaves, lacefronts in no more than 2 - 3 weeks. I would think that it would strengthen their hair. They would wash it more?? I don't know.

The ladies on the board have much more fabulous natural hair and they don't have "professionals hair stylists" on staff. Well, unless you consider the $5 we pay to be a part of this community. :lol:

Beyonce's LF's are mostly always on point. But I would LOVE to see what her real hair looks like now, and how long it is. Her hair used to be so pretty and full and probably like APL (think of the "no no no" remix video). I wonder if it still is that way?

And thanx everyone for the responses. I have a weave in now, and I just got to thinkin bout all the people I've seen with weaves and got a lil scared. But I know that if I care for my hair properly, it will thrive:)

Bosslady1 said:
That is a good question...:lachen:

For some reason I think Mary J Blige has hair on her head...

Nope.......Mary J is BALD too. Well, she was a couple of years ago and she's still doing the same ole weave/fusion/lf stuff to her head. I used to go to this celebrity stylist here in NY (pre LHCF of course) and Mary was also a customer along with a bunch of other industry folks (Lil Kim, Puffy's 1st baby momma Misa, etc.). I've sat right next to her under the dryer and was all up in the scalp when she wasn't looking. She had that fusion stuff at the time and the hairline was nonexistent and the hair was maaaad thin. My hair was tore up too because I was also getting the "overpriced too tight weaves" but as I said, that was pre LHCF. After she left, I grilled the stylist on her hair.......I'm nosey like that but we'll keep it PC and say "curious"....Anyway, the stylist told me that she informed Mary that her hair will never thrive due to what was being done but she then went on to explain that Mary always has to be on point yadda yadda yadda.

TowsonGirl said:

All of them aren't baldheaded. It's just a matter of if the weave is put in correctly and if the person is taking care of their hair underneath. Lil Kim has shoulder length hair. We saw her hair going into jail and coming out. It grew while she was in there. Somebody on this board before said Mary J Blige has APL length hair (IDK about that one). Beyonce has a healthy head of hair (not sure what length). But she did transition for 2 years to natural (during the time she was wearing all those braids/cornrows). I think she went back to the relaxer though. I remember her mom talking about it in a magazine and she said Beyonce felt her natural hair wasn't as manageable as she thought it would be once she got all the relaxer out. There are other stars who have long hair and wear wigs and weaves from time to time to change up their styles too. Mya wears wigs. Kimora Lee has been known to rock a wig or two. Ashanti wears wigs and weaves but has shoulder length hair. It doesn't matter how many braids or weaves you slap into your hair back to back, if your hair is severly damaged, there's nothing you can do about it. It's going to stay the same way. It's not going to grow.

Last edited:
they are taking care of wigs and weaves and paying good money for the up keep of that like it their:lol: :lol: :grin: $$$$$on wig sprays and getting them done wash set useing good thing s on the wigs and wont put good things on their own hair not even a cheap oil:lachen: :lachen: saveing it all for the wigs guess they thinking i cant do two heads i know a lot of people who are donot have hair under their wig looking like dry weeds:eek: some pople dont care what it looks likes under there as long as they can put that wig on a go

What about Patti Labelle and Diana Ross. They've been weaving it for years. I would love to see Lady Di in another style.

firecracker said:
I am wondering that about a few folks in real life also. I think they just don't take care of their hair and use weaves as some kinda quick fix/hair cover up. :(

Yup. I know a few females who are hardly seen without a weave/wig. When they actually are weaveless/wigless, their real hair is jacked up. I'm talking about no edges, thin as I don't know what hair. It's like they don't even bother to take care of their real hair.

kelly roland and mo'nique are the only celebs I can think of like that. everyone else stays with a weave so how do you know if they a r e bald or not?

Uh didn't we just see a pic of Beyonce at the airport with a lil top pony? She still had her edges in tact. :lachen: My sister wears weaves alot and her hair is doing really good these days. She doesn't have really thick hair anyways. She had it down in a wrap during xmas. She said Hairerobics pills really helped her hair grow back in and she is laying off the weaves for a minute. She doesn't leave her weaves or individual braids in long as she is a cosmetologist so she does her own hair often.

I seem to recall Jennifer Aniston saying something about how her hair suffered from getting fusion extensions. I mean, she's not bald but her hair is on the thin side.

TowsonGirl said:
Hey thanx girlie! I actually did it myself! (and it was the first time doing so, might I add):D

That's why I am going to come up there to find you! :D You can do my hair!

OOps, didnt realize HoneyDew already answered the question for me:)

...And Honeydew, you can do it yourself. Just go on over to BHM and look at the ladies' fotkis. Some of them have very detailed tutorials on how to do weaves. (this is where I learned). And once you get the hang of it, you can save a ton of $$

Back