How can I stop obsessing about my hair?

nodisrespect

It's constant and it's doing more harm than good. I can't keep my hands out of my head, so I probably end up pulling out hair that wasn't going to fall out on its own. I co wash all the time which leads to me scrutinizing its appearance every day. I sometimes don't detangle when wet but after it's dried I'll feel the need to start combing through it. All this is causing damage where it shouldn't be just because I can't stop worrying about my hair. I really want to flat iron my hair just once to see where it's at right now but I think flat ironing is what does me in the most in terms of damage :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash: I feel so frustrated that I'm not seeing any progress.

It's constant and it's doing more harm than good. I can't keep my hands out of my head, so I probably end up pulling out hair that wasn't going to fall out on its own. I co wash all the time which leads to me scrutinizing its appearance every day. I sometimes don't detangle when wet but after it's dried I'll feel the need to start combing through it. All this is causing damage where it shouldn't be just because I can't stop worrying about my hair. I really want to flat iron my hair just once to see where it's at right now but I think flat ironing is what does me in the most in terms of damage :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash: I feel so frustrated that I'm not seeing any progress.

OMG! So, you're the one who's been peeping in my window when I'm playing with my hair. That's the only way you would be able to describe my daily routine. This 'hand in fro disease' is what's killing me :nono: Know what I did? Made an appointment to get yarn braids to stop the madness :wallbash:

Struts away singing, 'I'm too sexy for my 'fro!' :cool2:

I'm no help :perplexed Sorry.

Ideally I would get a sew in... I retain length easily that way... but I can't afford it anymore. The only reason I decided to learn how to care for my hair is because I can't afford to go to the salon anymore. I don't have anyone who could braid it for me either.

I think you have to approach it like you would any other bad habit -- set mini-goals like, "I'm going to go for four hours without touching my hair." Then increase to 8, then 12, then a whole day. Proctecive styles will help too, like bunning or french rolls.

It is definitely damaging to handle your hair too much. I wish I had gotten it under control early in my hair journey but I am only just now getting it together and trying to overcome my "hand in hair" disease. I know it could have been even better if I wouldn't have been flat ironing just to see the length and combing/styling long after it was necessary to do so.

Good luck!

hey girl , what stopped me from obsessing about my hair was just putting it away. After some weeks post , when the ng sets in I just put it back in cornrows and then clip the ends up .. because if i leave the ends down for 5 minutes, i find myself peeping at them looking for split ends or twirling them in my fingers

Figure out a style that you like, keeps your hair up, and requires the least manipulation possible. Use that style as often as you can. :bighug: It's hard, but you can do it....

This was me when I first started my hair journey! Once you find a set regimen, techniques and products that work for you, results will come and you will be less inclined to over think/analyze/scrutinize your hair every second of every day. If you are like me, you'll never be completely cured from your hair obsession but you'll learn how to live with it and it will become a part of your life style!:yep:

hey girl , what stopped me from obsessing about my hair was just putting it away. After some weeks post , when the ng sets in I just put it back in cornrows and then clip the ends up .. because if i leave the ends down for 5 minutes, i find myself peeping at them looking for split ends or twirling them in my fingers
I also agree with this. I was hair obsessed and still am. I put my hair away, via sew-in, and now I really don't care. I still play in my weave, but alot less than when I was obsessing about my own hair. Now, I just look foward until the ng.

nodisrespect;4.434383 said:
It's constant and it's doing more harm than good. I can't keep my hands out of my head, so I probably end up pulling out hair that wasn't going to fall out on its own I co wash all the time which leads to me scrutinizing its appearance every day. I sometimes don't detangle when wet but after it's dried I'll feel the need to start combing through it. All this is causing damage where it shouldn't be just because I can't stop worrying about my hair. I really want to flat iron my hair just once to see where it's at right now but I think flat ironing is what does me in the most in terms of damage :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash: I feel so frustrated that I'm not seeing any progress.

I did this last night. I kept playing with this one spot in my hair and i lost so many strands.

I'm always obsessing over my hair and the fact that I have damage doesnt make it any easier. I thought I was getting over it today until a friend of mine just randomly said , "your hair looks horrible". so then i started looking i the mirror and analyzing it again:wallbash:

i think im gonna start cleaning up and doing things i've been putting on the backburner to get my mind off of it.

sew ins and braids are a good idea but i dont like them for myself.

I think that HIF disease is a very real part of a natural journey. This "stuff" is new and exciting I think it's important to touch and get to know your hair in these beginning stages.

To curb my HIF I started to keep my head covered...and as soon as I could "catch" it I started braiding and twisting.

Back