how can i get my hair back in good shape?

Meki89

ever since I D'C with ORS hair mayonnaise my hair has been extremely dry & brittle. when i co-wash once it dries it has little to no curl to it :perplexed i want my hair to be in good shape like it was in my siggy and when I first did the B.C.. I had cornrows in for a few weeks to give my hair a break, I've stopped D'Cing all together, and I cut back on co-washing. I use tea tree oil on my hair nothing seems to be working :nono:

I really don't like the ingredients in ORS, perhaps you should try Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle rose conditioners.
Others will also say because ors mayonnaise has protein so protein overload will cause brittle hair.
what are you cowashing with?

I Was Co-Washing With Suave's Tropical Coconut Conditioner.
but for the past week or 2 i've been using Garnier Fructis cream conditioner for dry and damaged hair.

I Was Co-Washing With Suave's Tropical Coconut Conditioner.
but for the past week or 2 i've been using Garnier Fructis cream conditioner for dry and damaged hair.
What are the ingredients? never mind I see the ingredients
sometimes the ingredients in a product can really damage your hair. I'm going to look up some reviews
GarnierWater (Aqua), Cetearyl Alcohol, Behentrimonium Chloride, Amodimethicone, Pyrus Malus (Apple) Fruit Extract, Fragrance (Parfum), Cetyl Esters, Lauryl PEG/PPG-18/18 Methicone, Methylparaben, Persea Gratissima (Avocado Oil), Niacinamide, Pyridoxine HCl, Trideceth 12, Citric Acid, Prunus Armeniaca (Apricot Kernel Oil), Saccharum Officinarum (Sugar Cane Extract), Chlorhexidine Dihydrochloride, Cetrimonium Chloride, Linalool, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Citrus Limonum (Lemon Peel Extract), Camellia Sinensis (Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract)
Suave:Water, Cetyl Alcohol, Cetrimonium Chloride, Silk Amino Acids, Honey (Mel), Nettle (Urtica Diocia) Extract, Rosemary (Rosmarinus Officinalis) Extract, Coconut (Cocos Nucifera) Extract, Potassium Chloride, Fragrance (Parfum), Distearyldimonium Chloride, Disodium EDTA, Glycerin, 2-Bromo-2-Nitropropane-1, 3-Diol, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Propylene Glycol, Methylisothiazolinone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tropical Coconut Suave ingredients:
Water, Cetyl Alcohol, Cetrimonium Chloride, Potassium Chloride, Fragrance, Distearyldimonium Chloride, Disodium EDTA, Glycerin, 2-Bromo-2-Nitropropane-1, 3-Diol, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Propylene Glycol, Silk Amino Acids, Honey (Mel), Nettle (Urtica Dioica) Extract, Rosemary (Rosmarinus Officinalis) Extract, Coconut (Cocos Nucifera) Extract.

garnier fructis fortifying cream conditioner
Ingredients
Water - Aqua , Cetyl Alcohol , PEG-180 , Behentrimonium Chloride , Amodimethicone , Apple Fruit Extract - Pyrus Malus , Fragrance - Parfum , Cetyl Esters , Methylparaben , Hydroxyethylcellulose , Lauryl PEG/PPG-18/18 Methicone , Lanolin , Niacinamide , Pyridoxine HCl , Trideceth-12 , Citric Acid , Sugar Cane Extract - Saccharum Officinarium , Chlorhexidine , Dihydrochloride , Poloxamer 407 , Dodecene , Cetrimonium Chloride , Linalool , Lemon Peel Extract - Citrus Limonium , Camellia Sinensis , Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract

also, thanks for helping me.

Tropical Coconut Suave ingredients:
Water, Cetyl Alcohol, Cetrimonium Chloride, Potassium Chloride, Fragrance, Distearyldimonium Chloride, Disodium EDTA, Glycerin, 2-Bromo-2-Nitropropane-1, 3-Diol, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Propylene Glycol, Silk Amino Acids, Honey (Mel), Nettle (Urtica Dioica) Extract, Rosemary (Rosmarinus Officinalis) Extract, Coconut (Cocos Nucifera) Extract.

garnier fructis fortifying cream conditioner
Ingredients
Water - Aqua , Cetyl Alcohol , PEG-180 , Behentrimonium Chloride , Amodimethicone , Apple Fruit Extract - Pyrus Malus , Fragrance - Parfum , Cetyl Esters , Methylparaben , Hydroxyethylcellulose , Lauryl PEG/PPG-18/18 Methicone , Lanolin , Niacinamide , Pyridoxine HCl , Trideceth-12 , Citric Acid , Sugar Cane Extract - Saccharum Officinarium , Chlorhexidine , Dihydrochloride , Poloxamer 407 , Dodecene , Cetrimonium Chloride , Linalool , Lemon Peel Extract - Citrus Limonium , Camellia Sinensis , Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract

also, thanks for helping me.
no problem :) Usually when my hair is acting up I look up ingredients and reviews, and some the ingredients in the co washing conditioners seem a bit sketchy, nothing that I would put in my hair. Do you have a trader joes near you, they have some 2.49 nourish spa conditioner that is natural on the more expensive side I also used Burt's Bee brazil nut and rasperberrry conditioner 9.oo About a couple of weeks ago I've stopped co washing and now I rinse my hair, put some giovanni direct leave in conditioner in each section and seal with castor oil. but everyone is different because many people love to co wash
try some castor oil/coconut oil on your hair. essential oils dry my hair out maybe it is doing the same to you. make sure the tea tree oil is 100% cold pressed, pure, natural, and organic

It sounds like the protein in the ORS was too much for your hair. First off, you should do a strand test according to sistaslick's article. My suspicion is that you currently have protein overload. To solve this, you should actually DC more and keep moisturizing your hair as much as possible.

It may take a while, but eventually, your moisture level will catch up with the protein level and your hair should be back to it's old self.

I hope this helps.
tada

Why did you cut out DCing? If anything, I think you should've continued with a moisturizing conditioner.

Oneya, Nope there's no trader joes in NY yet.. But I'll try the Burt Bee's brazil nut and rasp. conditioner, since I know where to get some from near me.. Where can I purchase the castor or coconut oil at?

It sounds like the protein in the ORS was too much for your hair. First off, you should do a strand test according to sistaslick's article. My suspicion is that you currently have protein overload. To solve this, you should actually DC more and keep moisturizing your hair as much as possible.

It may take a while, but eventually, your moisture level will catch up with the protein level and your hair should be back to it's old self.

I hope this helps.
tada

What DC would you recommend using?

I stopped DC'ing because the DC I was using was drying my hair out.
you can get some castor oil/coconut oil at whole foods.
I suggest you try the aubrey's honey suckle rose conditioner since it is pretty moisturizing from all the protein and natural, from all those harmful ingredients.

It does sound like you're sensitive to protein. I had this happen when I tried to use Megatek on my hair instead of just my scalp. I actually just revved up my moisturizing routine with daily Qhemet Biolologics Burdock Root Buttercream and Ramtirth Brahmi Oil. I also skipped my next wash. My hair is just about back to normal.

What DC would you recommend using?

Personally, i have pretty good results with lekair and that's the DC i use. Yes, the orange one that costs 2 bucks for 20 oz :lachen:

However, what works for one may not work for another. Good luck

i think ao honeysuckle rosse is a pretty good choice. its very moisturizing. however i also like vo5 moisture milks and fekkai shea butter conditioner(not to be mistaken for the mask).

my hair is brittle in some places but is also shedding, do you think it's safe to do an aphogee 2 step protein treatment?

Back