How are you Washing your Hair??

sylver2

Do u part it and wash in sections, do u use your fingernails?? Do u just squeeze some on hands and rub in entire head until it lathers up then rinse??
How are some of u washing your hair?
It seems no matter how long I'm in there washing, I still have buildup or stuff on my scalp. Its never squeaky clean, even when I clarify.

How often do you wash? When I wash weekly, sometimes I have to lather up twice. I usually focus on my scalp and then squeeze it down the length. I don't use my nails but the pads of my fingertips. I use a LOT of poo, sometimes 3 or 4 good squeezes of the bottle. I like to feel a good lather, and sometimes that doesn't happen until the second time.

I squeeze product into my palm, slap it onto my hair and start massaging it in to the ends, without tangling my hair, till it lathers, then I rinse. Takes a couple of shampoos, at least, to get my hair really clean. I think fingernails on the scalp is sort of a no-no if you can help it (especially the long ones).

What kind of product are you using? How is your water pressure and how long are you rinsing? Poos like T-Gel and Nizoral will get rid of build-up, but I can't say much for their smell.

I'm wondering if its the water pressure. Its pretty weak.
I used nizoral and T-gel didn't work. I usually wash every week or longer, but this past week I've had to wash hair about 3 times within the week because it didn't seem clean and now I'm getting ready to wash again

For me to get my scalp and hair build up off I have to shampoo twice. The first wash I use the Jason's Biotion Shampoo which I part and apply to scalp and length of hair (massage never lathers) Second NTM poo is added the same way and I get serious lather.

So far so good!!! No only if the MSM would stop making my scalp sore it would be great.:grin: :grin:

sylver2 said:
Do u part it and wash in sections, do u use your fingernails?? Do u just squeeze some on hands and rub in entire head until it lathers up then rinse??
It seems no matter how long I'm in there washing, I still have buildup or stuff on my scalp. Its never squeaky clean, even when I clarify.

hi Sylver2, my mum has the very same problem. she washes her hair over the bath tub, and i've relaised the shower has a filter of some sort. could it be your water is a little hard? i get the same thing on my scalp every now and then. when i kept my hair in a durag for 3 days straight i had no problem, i'm convinced its the air in my house...

i wash my hair under the shower, with it all combed back, apply shampoo in 4 points, front, left side, right side and back and massage away quite hard but not rough. and rinse for an eternity.

Last edited:
According to popular advice for naturals, I do it all wrong, but it works so right! I rub my shampoo bar down the middle of my head, then across the middle (like I've sectioned in 4s), and then along the edges. Then I rub, scrub and pile it all on top of my head. Next I rinse straight back and then apply conditioner leaning over and detangle, combing from my ends up, and I only loose about a penny size amount of hair. I twist my hair with the conditioner on and secure the ends with the detangling comb and then shower. Then I section from ear to ear and brush through with a Denman while rinsing. I do two more sections across like this until I get to the top and then I just brush straight back and continue to rinse. While in the shower, I style it however I am going to wear it--usually in a french braid.

I've been washing like this for over a year, and my hair is bra strap length. I never have problems with tangles and I don't loose a lot of hair. I wash everday. I clarify once a week with Pantene clarifying. I use Burt's Bees shampoo bars and Pantene Smooth and Sleek conditioner.

Last edited:
I detangle, plait in to 5, rinse and massage scalp, apply diluted poo to scalp, massage again, then squeeze poo down length and rinse.

sylver2 said:

I wet my hair first, lather the shampoo in my hand, and then wash it. I gently scrub with my finger tips. I don't need to part it cause I don't have that much hair. Maybe when it gets longer I might. You have a lot of hair to wash though. Maybe cause it's so long and thick :ohwell: .

Candy_C said:
hi Sylver2, my mum has the very same problem. she washes her hair over the bath tub, and i've relaised the shower has a filter of some sort. could it be your water is a little hard? i get the same thing on my scalp every now and then. when i kept my hair in a durag for 3 days straight i had no problem, i'm convinced its the air in my house...

i wash my hair under the shower, with it all combed back, apply shampoo in 4 points, front, left side, right side and back and massage away quite hard but not rough. and rinse for an eternity.

Ever since we moved into our new house its like my scalp is always flaky. Not dandruff but like its shedding or something. I'll wash and wash then when I get out while hair is wet I still see flakes I'm like wth!! Thats why conditioner washing is just out of the question for me. I tried acv rinses, clarifying shampoos, so I'm wondering if its the way I'm washing hair or the water. I use a lot of shampoo when I wash, but I do only lather up once.

THAT sounds like your water, totally. Either it's hard water that's full of minerals or you need better water pressure. Try less product and rinse longer and a little more aggressively, moving your hands thru your hair as you do it to release more of the shampoo.

Do you get those pink rings in your toilet if the water sits? That would be a mineral deposit, so if you see those anywhere there's water in your house, that's a clue.

I part my hair down the middle and wash it one side at a time. I've been washing and conditioning my hair like this forever. I don't lose any hair trying to detangle coz once I'm finished my hair is practically styled all I have to do is apply my leave in and roll so I don't have to manipulate my hair much trying to style. I also feel that ALL parts of my hair get the attention it needs. I found when I gathered all my hair and washed it like that, the middle of my hair suffered. It wasn't getting as clean and it wasn't getting enough conditioning so this method works for me.

I wash at the sink or bath tub first, using just a tiny bit of shampoo on my scalp. After conditioning I stand under the shower and add a tad bit more shampoo to the hair and let the shower beat on my head while detangling with a wide tooth comb. I don't have a problem with flakes
Some people just have that problem no matter what they do. My girlfriend calls that growing dandruff.

Maybe you should try to get a water filter, because it sounds like it is the water...Or u may want to try a scalp scrub or cleanser....

I wash my hair twice a week. If I've been using lots of oils and such, I put a dime size amount of a clarifying shampoo (I use Neutrogena's) in my palm and work it through using my palms only. I don't worry about a lather.

Then I use a dime size amount of a good moisturizing shampoo and use my fingertips to work it in well. I don't worry about getting a good lather as I find over-washing contributes to my hair being dry. Then...I either regular condition or deep condition (I deep condition once a week). Follow with leave-in, moisturizer, oil to seal and style.

Blu217 said:
THAT sounds like your water, totally. Either it's hard water that's full of minerals or you need better water pressure. Try less product and rinse longer and a little more aggressively, moving your hands thru your hair as you do it to release more of the shampoo.

Do you get those pink rings in your toilet if the water sits? That would be a mineral deposit, so if you see those anywhere there's water in your house, that's a clue.

OMG!! Yes we get those rings all the time in the toilet

sylver2 said:
...Do u just squeeze some on hands and rub in entire head until it lathers up then rinse??

This is what I do. I can get to my scalp for a few weeks after a relaxer, but as my hair grows it gets harder to get inthere and I also cannot seem to get my scalp totally clean.

I'm thinking of washing hair in kitchen sink first since we have that gun. U know the one that shoots out water real hard. The rinser thingy. I just don't want to go thru the motions of washing hair and its just like it was b4 I washed it, like I didn't fo anything.
I'm wondering if I should get a water filter for shower or higer pressure showerhead.

sylver2 said:
I'm thinking of washing hair in kitchen sink first since we have that gun. U know the one that shoots out water real hard. The rinser thingy. I just don't want to go thru the motions of washing hair and its just like it was b4 I washed it, like I didn't fo anything.
I'm wondering if I should get a water filter for shower or higer pressure showerhead.

Yeh, get yourself a shower filter, it will filter out most things. a water softener will soften the water in your whole house, its expensive though.

It really does sound like hard water, and possibly mineral deposits clinging to your hair. :yep: Clarifying poos can't remove this type of buildup effectively. I would try a chelating shampoo to remove the mineral deposits-- these poos also have a clarifying action too, so if hard water is indeed your problem this will help ease up the buildup a bit.

Sistaslick said:
I would try a chelating shampoo to remove the mineral deposits-- these poos also have a clarifying action too, so if hard water is indeed your problem this will help ease up the buildup a bit.

Where would you find this kind of shampoo?

Would that kind of poo work when you're still rinsing it out WITH the hard water that would basically be putting all the goop right back in at the very end?

I wrote down a list of chelating poos awhile back . . . hold on let me find it :lol:

Okay, here are few

Shampoo Three' by Paul Mitchell
Aveda Detox
RESOLVE® Chelating Shampoo from Joico
Elucence Moisture Acidifying Shampoo
Nexxus Aloe Rid
Nexxus - Phyto Organics Kelate Purifying Shampoo
Ouidad Water Works
Artec Texturline Daily Clarifying Shampoo

Blu217 said:
Would that kind of poo work when you're still rinsing it out WITH the hard water that would basically be putting all the goop right back in at the very end?

hmmm, that is true ::scratchch I guess you'd have to buy some purified/spring water to rinse with on wash days.

sylver2 said:
I'm wondering if its the water pressure. Its pretty weak.
I used nizoral and T-gel didn't work. I usually wash every week or longer, but this past week I've had to wash hair about 3 times within the week because it didn't seem clean and now I'm getting ready to wash again
I can NEVER get my hair completely clean when I visit my parents b/c they have that crazy water regulator... very low pressure, and the stream is more like a mist or heavy spray...try Mizani puriphying shampoo....works even after i've been co washing for 4 weeks in a row...SERIOUS buildup ..and the mtg too!

Sistaslick said:
I wrote down a list of chelating poos awhile back . . . hold on let me find it :lol:

Okay, here are few

Shampoo Three' by Paul Mitchell
Aveda Detox
RESOLVE® Chelating Shampoo from Joico
Elucence Moisture Acidifying Shampoo
Nexxus Aloe Rid
Nexxus - Phyto Organics Kelate Purifying Shampoo
Ouidad Water Works
Artec Texturline Daily Clarifying Shampoo

I use to use Aloe Rid. It worked kind of but was very stripping and harsh on my hair so I stopped using it. I might try one of the others.
Sigh..well I am going to to go wash hair now. I have a whole lot of bottle water I didn't finish drinking..lol so I'll rinse with that and going to get a filter this weekend

You know... if you've got a good girlfriend whose water is a bit cleaner, you might see if you could wash your hair at her place one time to see if that helped. Just a thought...

sylver2 said:
OMG!! Yes we get those rings all the time in the toilet

We have well water and we don't have a filter yet, and even though the water was making my hair very hard and dry, I never got the flakes or dry scalp. I got more of that when I was back in SW Texas.

What about the rest of your skin? Is it dry and flaking, too?

Back