How Are You Stretching Your Curls Long-term?

abioni

I'm not sure what my curl pattern is but my guess is 4c. I tried three different Keratin treatment products and they all broke my hair. I have fine strands so I guess Keratin is too much for my hair. However I loved the result and I'm looking for an alternative way to stretch my curls for 2-4 months. Has anyone been able to do this without Keratin?

I am a little lost - you want to elongate your curls to reduce shrinkage or get rid of frizz or make it more manageable so you can see your curl pattern?

I am not a huge fan of keratin because it is added things to deal with and I am a minimalist so I do as little as possible. But there are a lot of different brands, I think people have been successful with Coppolla. I wonder if the one you used was just too harsh? Or if you did not moisturize properly for example if you like to shampoo it should not be that frequent maybe once a week, make sure you are not using a shampoo with SLS, you would need to use a moisturizing DC maybe even with heat, since keratin is a protein stay away from other proteins.

For me I would need to understand your goals better.

I used henna every month for a year, my curls practically left. *sad face*
I started to look texlaxed.

@Sosa
If u dont mind me asking... What hairtype were you? What hairtype were u after henna? How long did it take to see the results?

I want to elongate my curls, as in stretch it like keratin does. The benefit of this to me is I get to see my length, easier styling, etc

I used two of the Keratin brands that was raved about here (forgot their names) and the result was breakage. I haven't tried Coppola though, but I'm scared of Keratin right now. I lost three years of growth and had to start over. I already use sulfate-free shampoo so I didn't wash my hair with that kind of shampoo when I had Keratin in my hair. I deep conditioned then too.

I am a little lost - you want to elongate your curls to reduce shrinkage or get rid of frizz or make it more manageable so you can see your curl pattern?

I am not a huge fan of keratin because it is added things to deal with and I am a minimalist so I do as little as possible. But there are a lot of different brands, I think people have been successful with Coppolla. I wonder if the one you used was just too harsh? Or if you did not moisturize properly for example if you like to shampoo it should not be that frequent maybe once a week, make sure you are not using a shampoo with SLS, you would need to use a moisturizing DC maybe even with heat, since keratin is a protein stay away from other proteins.

For me I would need to understand your goals better.

@abioni I would agree with you, it sounds like maybe you and keratin are not friends. Honestly, I let go of the elongation and embraced shrinkage with better curl definition. I love henna but it only changes my curls the week I initially do it and after that my hair is right back to where it was.
I have heard people having limited success using coconut milk and lime or something, you would need to google it, if I can find the forum I will post the link.
Hopefully others will have better advice.

Honestly, I don't think there is a product beyond relaxing or keratin that straightens hair in a similar fashion for weeks at a time.

If you have fine hair, perhaps you want to try Curlformers or even regular roller sets. With proper care, you could maintain your straightened hair for weeks at a time. It might give you the look you want without the chemicals.

Henna treatments are helping me also as someone else noted. I don't use any kind kind of keratin or those type heat treatments on my hair since Chi Enviro damaged my hair very badly, which resulted in the last big chop I did.

My hair is fine so I will definitely not be using anything like that again. All the same, I hope you choose something that won't damaged your tresses OP. Sometimes, we have to think of what is the lesser evil for our hair and go with that. All the best.

Back