HOW AFTEN DO YOU USE RECONSTRUCTOR

HOW OFTEN DO YOU USE YOUR RECONSTRUCTOR

• Total voters
:spinning:i think reconstructer can be used either every month or after every relaxer..which ever one i smore comfortable for you...i personally do it after my relaxers like two weeks after my relaxer.

I think it does penetrate better but , to be honest I do it out of convenience
.....I do it on dry hair ...rinse, shampoo..then deep condition with moisture...

Oh...I always do it under a plastic cap.....but i don't always use heat and I get the same results

I tried to use egg one time and I mixed it with a cheap conditioner. My hair was horrible. The second I put it on it got hard and tangled. Could this mean that I'm sensitive to protein? I use the Aphogee 2 minute once a week and have been for about 2 or 3 months. Only recently I have been noticing that my hair is becoming hard and breaking. I doubled up on moisturizing. I have stopped using it. Do you think I was using it too often?

as needed.

I do use one on my hair before neutralizing after a touchup. Otherwise, it I only do it when I need to. For the past 6 months it has averaged at every 4 weeks or so, but I don't really count.

I only use mild protein because the hardcore ones are not for me.

I'm with HD. The hardcore proteins are no good for me at all. I use mild treatments as needed, and always after rinsing my relaxer.

I was using Aphogee 2 min every week after poo wash followed by a deep conditioning but I started using megatek today so I am cutting out all other protein and dc 3x a week.

I tried to use egg one time and I mixed it with a cheap conditioner. My hair was horrible. The second I put it on it got hard and tangled. Could this mean that I'm sensitive to protein? I use the Aphogee 2 minute once a week and have been for about 2 or 3 months. Only recently I have been noticing that my hair is becoming hard and breaking. I doubled up on moisturizing. I have stopped using it. Do you think I was using it too often?

Yeah. I think you might be getting too much of a good thing. It is important to maintain the protein/moisture balance and it is different for everybody. A long time ago, I used a reconstructor once a week and eventually my hair became hard, it had a film on it and it started breaking. I had to wash a few times with a clarifying shampoo to remove the deposits.

I never or rarely use intense reconstructors...But after every wash ( i wash 2x/week) after my DC's, I complete it by applying a rinse out protein reconstructor such as Aveda DR or Rusk Calm Conditioner...

As needed to at least once a week. My thing is, treating my hair for prevention of breakage instead of waiting for breakage to start to use a re constructor. It's strengthening and protective. So I don't overload onprotein I just rotate between moisturizing conditioners and re constructors... I dunno for me just prevents and keeps the balance so it doesn't break. I hate breakage lol.

I do a lil protein right after my relaxer before I neutralize..but since I started using MT I just deep condition 1-2x a week and do lite protein as needed..but everyone is different..some people need tons of protein and some people are super sensitive..I think you just have to try and figure out what works for you :yep:

Ladies, please tell me how often you use your reconstructor and what does it really do? How is it different from a protein treatment?
TIA

I use a reconstructor every week. Something light like aphogee 2 minute or Joico reconstructor ( the sally version).....my hair can take protein then i follow with a moisturizing conditioner...To keep breakage under control...I do emergencee 2x's a month.

Last edited:
I use Aphogee 2 minute reconstructor,along with the Green Tea once a week (on Mondays), but I also do a DC'ing once a week (on Fridays). I am trying to keep a balance. So for so good. Trying to KISS.

I use a Light/Med Reconstructor Weekly. A few that I use: Sebastian Penetraitt, Tigi Dumb Blonde, Nexxus Keraphix, Joico K-Pak, Redken Resuce Force, Paul Brown Hawaii, Hayashi 911, AG Fast Food, L'anza and others.

But I have found using a reconstructor weekly has been great for my relaxed hair.:yep:

I voted for every month because I use mine twice a month. I use aphogee keratin 2 minute reconstructor and it strengthens my hair, stops breakage immediately, and keeps my hair retaining moisture better.

A and O are on oppposite sides of the keyboard LOL just sayin :lachen:

My hair needs aphogee 2 min at least 1-2 times a week or it goes downhill. My hair loves the keratin. I tried egg but I can't get past that terrible raw egg smell. Aphogee 2 min smells like bananas and fortune cookies. I love it :lick: I recently started using mane n tail which is kind of like mild protein to shampoo.

Last edited:
"Protein conditioner" and "reconstructor" can be used interchangeably. "Reconstructor" sounds more serious, but it really just depends on the product.

Usually, a protein treatment is washed off after 1-3 washes. It depends on a lot of things like, how porous or damaged your hair is, if your hair is naturally fine or thick, if you are co-washing or using shampoo, etc.

So, basically if you are trying to stay on top of it, use your protein treatment at least every 3 washes.

Last edited:
Twice a week, mixed with EVCO, EVOO and peppermint per the Cathy Howse recipe. I follow up with a moisturizing DC.

Once a week.

I wash, use Aphogee 2min followed by a moisturizing DC (AO HSR). My hair loves protein and needs it weekly.

I am natural. I blow dry and/or straighten my hair every fortnight (my winter regimen), hence I use a reconstructor ever fortnight too (usually right before I blow dry/and or straighten). I follow-up with a deep condition. I use the KeraCare Super Reconstructor and my hair LOVES LOVES LOVES this product. I get mine for about £24 but a little goes a long way for me and it does wonders so it's definitely worth the prices. I've had mine for about a 7months now and I'm not where near finished so again, the prices is worth the money. I get super defined coils/curls when I use it and my hair stays soft.

I voted as needed but I hardly use reconstructor... If needed I use Motions CPR or Aphogee 2 minute..

As needed which is usually every 6-7 weeks. I use either Joico Kpak reconstructor or Redken extreme rescue force.

interesting. just bought some giovanni smooth as silk xtreme reconstructor for kicks. ill try it tonight.

I use aphoghee 2 min every week after my weekly wash and then DC with keracare humecto or motions moisture plus. I may try doing it every 2 weeks and see how my hair adjusts.. I feel like im in need of more moisture.

Back