Houston/Humid Weather & Natural Hair

bklynLadee

Holaaaa!!!

Soooo, I was born and raised in Brooklyn, NY and I recently moved to Texas and I was not prepared for all the humidity. :rolleyes:

My hair used to be so supple, bouncy with my twist outs *think Snoop Dogg in his videos swanging his curls*

Now....my hair starts out okay in my house and one step outside and my hair feels like straw...I get major shrinkage and poofiness.

I know this is probably due to glycerin so I will cut that out---I don't want to go crazy with products so I'm hoping to hear what you ladies are doing to keep your natural tresses looking fabu in hot/humid climates such as Houston.

Roll with the punches lol.

On a serious note: I try to make sure my hair is as moisturized as possible during wash day by conditioning, using a spray then cream leave in. Then using a cream and finishing with a gel/pomade to seal it all in. Sounds like a lot but nothing is used in heavy amounts.

If my hair starts moisturized I can keep some poofy-ness at bay.

lol cwmarie what products do you use?

I am finishing up a bottle of Cantu Shea Butter and I use Eco Styler Gel

Roll with the punches lol.

On a serious note: I try to make sure my hair is as moisturized as possible during wash day by conditioning, using a spray then cream leave in. Then using a cream and finishing with a gel/pomade to seal it all in. Sounds like a lot but nothing is used in heavy amounts.

If my hair starts moisturized I can keep some poofy-ness at bay.

What you are using sounds good but try a styler cream after the cantu leave in and it's kind of hit or miss here in the south especially Texas. This hot and humid weather ain't no joke in summer so most twistouts, braidouts, bkos will fail lol. I know it's not something you want to hear but wash n gos may last longer. I did my daughters twistout for school this was in early June and then it looks like the last pic when I picked her up from school and they only went outside to switch buildings lol.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20140821_154121.jpg
    ForumRunner_20140821_154121.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 121
  • ForumRunner_20140821_154203.jpg
    ForumRunner_20140821_154203.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 119
  • ForumRunner_20140821_154233.jpg
    ForumRunner_20140821_154233.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:
lol cwmarie what products do you use?

I am finishing up a bottle of Cantu Shea Butter and I use Eco Styler Gel

Lots! lol. But some of the favorites are shea moisture curl enchancing smoothie, oyin hair dew, oyin burnt sugar pomade, darcy botanicals herbal spritz leave in and more recently shea moisture jbco leave in and superfruit complex masque

What you are using sounds good but try a styler cream after the cantu leave in and it's kind of hit or miss here in the south especially Texas. This hot and humid weather ain't no joke in summer so most twistouts, braidouts, bkos will fail lol. I know it's not something you want to hear but wash n gos may last longer. I did my daughters twistout for school this was in early June and then it looks like the last pic when I picked her up from school and they only went outside to switch buildings lol.

HairPleezeGrow yeeaahhh I really did not want to hear/believe it. Well, I guess I'm glad to know that I am not "losing it" this weather is crazy to me! Thank you for sharing those pics...that's pretty much what my hair looks like too. I just feel like the health of my hair is suffering out here. My hair was growing nicely in NY and now my hair is at a stand still. I used to blow my hair out every once in a while in NY and that helped with ssk and gave me a break from having to do major detangling sessions. Now that my hair is going from braid out to braid out...I have more knots and nests that I have to manage as a result. Le sigh....

My hair actually likes the Houston humidity. I was born here so my hair is unaware that this weather isn't normal :lachen: This is what I do to keep my hair frizz free:

I never leave the house with wet/damp hair.
I use minimal products when my hair is straightened.
My straight hair regimen includes chi silk infusion, a rollerset and dominican blowout (I go to "Dominican Salon" on Little York)
I moisturize at night before bed and seal with evoo.
Sabino moisture block is great for straight or textured styles. I used to use it, but I ran out...
I don't do wash n gos. At all :nono:
I mainly wear braids under a wig or buns.
Last, but not least I sleep in a satin bonnet nightly.

Last edited:
I live in the extremely humid south and all I do in summer is wash and gos. Anything else for me is just a waste of time. To prevent frizz and poofy hair, I use a leavein with cones...yes I know, no one wants to hear that, but that's what works for me. I also MUST use gel in summer. I use a combo of Xtreme Wetline with 2 nice sized tablespoons of melted coconut oil as the styler.

Good luck because it's no joke out here...lol.

A bun. Don't fight it; you won't win :lol:

I cannot make a comment that will help. I am from Detroit. I went to grambling,LA. in August having never being south in the summer. When I got off the plane my make up ( fashion fair creme),melted off my face. My hair which was straight turned into a ball and I had to wear it in connecting braids. It was cool in Michigan and I had a blue Jean coat on. I switched to a tube top,daisy dukes and shower sandals. I had body powder that I.did not try to rub in.. what amazed me was these chicks with the bone straight hair, jeans and.black leather high heeled boots. The heat did.not.bother them at all. Lol

In Houston, we typically get our first cool front in late October. Even then we still have more humid days than not. Glycerin is a no no, b/c it pulls moisture into your hair, you need the opposite. I also mainly do wash and goes, flexi rod sets (pinned up) or a random roller set.

Most people I know who can maintain twistouts here tend to use butters (shea) or some other product that forms a layer that blocks out moisture.

Welcome to Houston! Mandatory positive, this humidity keeps our skin dewy fresh :)

I live in the extremely humid south and all I do in summer is wash and gos. Anything else for me is just a waste of time. To prevent frizz and poofy hair, I use a leavein with cones...yes I know, no one wants to hear that, but that's what works for me. I also MUST use gel in summer. I use a combo of Xtreme Wetline with 2 nice sized tablespoons of melted coconut oil as the styler.

Good luck because it's no joke out here...lol.
Interesting you should mention cones justNikki :scratchch I saw a youtube video with a lady using a Dominican conditioner and the silicon deep treatment and I was thinkinnngg...ddarree I use cones again? Back in NY I used to use solely Dominican products at one point and after being on LHCF I cut out cones....

buuutt i'm definitely gonna go back to it. Which leave-in do you use that has cones in it (that you like).

Also big thanks with the idea of using gel w/coconut oil...question?...what is the ratio of gel:coconut oil that you use?

My hair actually likes the Houston humidity. I was born here so my hair is unaware that this weather isn't normal :lachen: This is what I do to keep my hair frizz free:

I never leave the house with wet/damp hair.
I use minimal products when my hair is straightened.
My straight hair regimen includes chi silk infusion, a rollerset and dominican blowout (I go to "Dominican Salon" on Little York)
I moisturize at night before bed and seal with evoo.
Sabino moisture block is great for straight or textured styles. I used to use it, but I ran out...
I don't do wash n gos. At all :nono:
I mainly wear braids under a wig or buns.
Last, but not least I sleep in a satin bonnet nightly.

Prettymetty yeah I don't do wash and gos...and I typically do buns...like everyday smh. I do leave the house with my hair slightly wet sometimes my twistouts just do not dry in time...I will adjust that.

I tried sabino---didn't do me much justice--I will revisit it since I have some product left. ...
Do tell the address for the Dominican hair salon on little York! I am definitely thinking about getting me a nice curly wig...something that matches my hair so I can just leave a little tiny bit in the front out and blend...where do you get your wigs? Maybe we can go wig shopping b/c I know my hubby probably wont wanna go :ohwell:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In Houston, we typically get our first cool front in late October. Even then we still have more humid days than not. Glycerin is a no no, b/c it pulls moisture into your hair, you need the opposite. I also mainly do wash and goes, flexi rod sets (pinned up) or a random roller set.

Most people I know who can maintain twistouts here tend to use butters (shea) or some other product that forms a layer that blocks out moisture.

Welcome to Houston! Mandatory positive, this humidity keeps our skin dewy fresh :)

sunnydaze yeah I just realized the whole glycerin thing. I have some knot today buuttt it tends to coagulate by the second day which I hate. I do use butters but...I hate that oily feeling...feels like the oil just sits on top of my hair...I prefer the leave-ins...what leave in do you use?

That's a negative on the skin...my face has broken out something awful--I can't seem to get it under control.:spinning:

bklynLadee the address is 19125 W Little York Rd katy, tx 77449. I am always down to go wig shopping. I know a few really good places. I live on the Northwest side near hwy 290

@bklynLadee the address is 19125 W Little York Rd katy, tx 77449. I am always down to go wig shopping. I know a few really good places. I live on the Northwest side near hwy 290

Prettymetty Thanks hun! How much do they usually charge for wash/set/blow dry?

yikes we live on opposite sides...I live by Beltway 8 NE side. I work by 288 though...I will have to make it a trip out there buuutt in a few weeks because Im preggers...in my first trimester and I'm gagging at random (not cute :blush::nono:)

yyaaayy it will be my first LHCF lil outing thingy

I was in Houston earlier this month, and it was hot as :censored: there. I wore my hair straight the entire time I was there, but I didn't do any outdoor activities. Heck, once day the temperature reached 100 degrees, and the heat index was something like 111 degrees. :blush: If I lived there, I would just do wash n gos in the summer when it's that hot and wear straight styles in the fall and winter.

Are you doing a deep condition on a regular basis? I always do (my hair loves that), and that's how my hair gets most of it's moisture.

I was in Houston earlier this month, and it was hot as :censored: there. I wore my hair straight the entire time I was there, but I didn't do any outdoor activities. Heck, once day the temperature reached 100 degrees, and the heat index was something like 111 degrees. :blush: If I lived there, I would just do wash n gos in the summer when it's that hot and wear straight styles in the fall and winter.

Are you doing a deep condition on a regular basis? I always do (my hair loves that), and that's how my hair gets most of it's moisture.

well heeellllloooo Allandra let me tell you...I am about to clear pass out...by the time I get into my car, I can't even touch the steering wheel its so daggone hot! Yes, it gets super hot, and natives are telling me this is a "mild" summer!!!

To your question, ya know, I have to admit...I have not been doing a deep conditioner on a regular basis...and by that I mean conditioner with 30 minutes under heat or no heat but left on hair for at least 2 hours.

I am co-washing really and truly. I was so much more into my hair in NYC...but now I've grown discouraged. What is your fav deep condish?

BTW...I luurrvveee the haircut!

Prettymetty Thanks hun! How much do they usually charge for wash/set/blow dry?

yikes we live on opposite sides...I live by Beltway 8 NE side. I work by 288 though...I will have to make it a trip out there buuutt in a few weeks because Im preggers...in my first trimester and I'm gagging at random (not cute :blush::nono:)

yyaaayy it will be my first LHCF lil outing thingy

$40 for wash, set and blowdry with flatiron. Dc is $8 extra, but u can bring your own and it costs $3 more

well heeellllloooo @Allandra let me tell you...I am about to clear pass out...by the time I get into my car, I can't even touch the steering wheel its so daggone hot! Yes, it gets super hot, and natives are telling me this is a "mild" summer!!!

To your question, ya know, I have to admit...I have not been doing a deep conditioner on a regular basis...and by that I mean conditioner with 30 minutes under heat or no heat but left on hair for at least 2 hours.

I am co-washing really and truly. I was so much more into my hair in NYC...but now I've grown discouraged. What is your fav deep condish?

BTW...I luurrvveee the haircut!
bklynLadee

I have been using Aubrey Organics GPB (mild protein) since 1999. I only deep conditioner for 15 to 30 minutes (enough time for me and my hair).

$40 for wash, set and blowdry with flatiron. Dc is $8 extra, but u can bring your own and it costs $3 more

Prettymetty thats not too bad...lawd i miss the wash and set with deep cond in NYC for $25 and then a mani/pedi for $17 ...no excuse to ever have an off day lol.

Do you buy dominican products? I wonder if beauty supply stores sell them?

bklynLadee..the Bueaty Supply store does not sell Dominican grrr from what I know, if I'm wrong, ladies please point me in that direction.

Cones, cones and butters will prevent your hair from an afro when doing a B.O. or T.O.

I just wore my hair in bantu knots for 2 weeks w/o redoing them and they still had curl form; before that I was 4 weeks in a braid out redone every 3-4 night for 4 weeks.

I just flat ironed on Sunday w/cone which is a humdity blocker but purchasing one specifically for humidity reduction is what the doc ordered. I flexi and night and a trick I have for flat ironed hair is to do the front in bohemian braids connected at the back tie down at night and flexti the back and I wear my hair out everday if I want to, the front stays in control w/o frizzes.

My bss sells Silicon mix, bambu and a few other Dominican Products. The salon sells several of their products too. Whatever I can't find in stores I get off amazon. Oh and I feel you about the NYC prices. I wonder how they can afford to be so inexpensive...

@bklynLadee..the Bueaty Supply store does not sell Dominican grrr from what I know, if I'm wrong, ladies please point me in that direction.

Cones, cones and butters will prevent your hair from an afro when doing a B.O. or T.O.

I just wore my hair in bantu knots for 2 weeks w/o redoing them and they still had curl form; before that I was 4 weeks in a braid out redone every 3-4 night for 4 weeks.

I just flat ironed on Sunday w/cone which is a humdity blocker but purchasing one specifically for humidity reduction is what the doc ordered. I flexi and night and a trick I have for flat ironed hair is to do the front in bohemian braids connected at the back tie down at night and flexti the back and I wear my hair out everday if I want to, the front stays in control w/o frizzes.

MizzBFly love your hair girlie! which products are you using? Okay sooo you are in Houston? How did you keep that flatiron working can you tell me what products/order of products you use on a flat iron day? Shampoo, Condish, deep condish...leave in, oils and cons?

I may not blow my hair out until maybe oct...for my bday...but if I know now I can start purchasing.

My bss sells Silicon mix, bambu and a few other Dominican Products. The salon sells several of their products too. Whatever I can't find in stores I get off amazon. Oh and I feel you about the NYC prices. I wonder how they can afford to be so inexpensive...

Prettymetty because there are so many stores...in from bklyn, so I usually hang around the junction...within a 5 block radius I would have passed at least 8 nail shops and 3-4 dominican and 3 african american beauty salons...and about 4 BSS

When I go to Houston I usually wear braids. Now, it gets pretty hot and humid here in Atlanta too. I tried the Aveda Anti-Humectant on some of our near 100 days and it worked great! I also used John Frieda Frizz Control another day and it was great too. In fact, I liked it a little better cause with the Aveda it can get a little oily. Gotta be careful with it.

Last edited:
@MizzBFly love your hair girlie! which products are you using? Okay sooo you are in Houston? How did you keep that flatiron working can you tell me what products/order of products you use on a flat iron day? Shampoo, Condish, deep condish...leave in, oils and cons?

I may not blow my hair out until maybe oct...for my bday...but if I know now I can start purchasing.

bklynLadee Moisturizing products from shampoo to DC, maybe a prepoo the night before with Hemp oil*super softening oil*

Minimal product before flat iron either some Giovanni leave in or Neutrogena Triple moisture. I let it air dry, bur recently I used the blow dryer(tension method) on cool air, PM Super Skinny or One n' Only Argan Oil as protectant to then chase with the flat iron*its smoother results*

here are some results from this week, flat iron @ 350-360 & chase method with soft boar bristle brush. I'm 10 months post and the goddess braid in front was done after too much humidity was in my strands for the flexi set to be worn all over

Attachments

• flat iron flexi set front2.jpg
    flat iron flexi set front2.jpg
    487.8 KB · Views: 40
  • flexi set side.jpg
    flexi set side.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 26
  • goddess braid top.jpg
    goddess braid top.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 29
  • goddess braid back.jpg
    goddess braid back.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 29
  • goddess braid side.jpg
    goddess braid side.jpg
    226 KB · Views: 27
@bklynLadee
I'm also a southern transplant (NYC - FLA). Winter here is like early autumn in NY. The dewpoints/relative humidity is high year-round.
Nothing blocks all frizz & shrinkage, but limiting glycerin in my leave-ins, moisturizers & stylers helped tremendously.

I'm a high density, low-porosity, medium-coarse stranded Type 4B. I'm also a PJ - :look:you've been warned! The list below are the products I use.

All except Darcy's Botanicals, Milk+Honey, Qhemet Biologics & Soultanicals may be found on the ground (BSS, drugstores, Earth Fare, health food stores, GNC, Vitamin Shoppe, Target, Wal-mart, Ulta etc.)

GLYCERIN-FREE
Darcy's Botanicals Pumpkin Seed Curl Moisturizing Conditioner
Eden BodyWorks All Natural Curl Defining Creme
Eden BodyWorks Jojoba Monoi Revitalizing Conditioner
Eden BodyWorks Peppermint Tea Tree Conditioner
Fairy Tales Static-Free Leave in Detangling Spray
Fruit of the Earth Aloe Vera Gel
George's Always Active Aloe Vera Juice
Home Health Hairever II Hair & Scalp Vitamin Tonic
Jane Carter Solution Hydrate moisture mist
Jane Carter Solution Restore moisture mist
Jane Carter Solution Revitalizing Leave in conditioner
Kinky-Curly Curling Custard
Kinky-Curly Knot Today
Milk+Honey Curl Delight Mist (very thick; dilute w/distilled H20)
Milk+Honey Hydrating Hair Custard
Milk+Honey Tangle Free Pudding
Nubian Heritage EVOO & Moringa Repair & Extend Conditioner
Nubian Heritage EVOO & Moringa Repair & Extend Hair Butter
Nubian Heritage Indian Hemp & Tamanu Grow & Strengthen Treatment Masque
Oyin Handmade Hair Dew
Qhemet Biologics Aethiopika Hydrate & Twist Butter
Shea Moisture African black Soap Dry Scalp Elixir
Shea Moisture Coconut Hibiscus Curl & Shine Conditioner
Shea Moisture Coconut Hibiscus Curl & Style Milk
Shea Moisture Coconut Hibiscus Hold & Style Moisture Mist
Shea Moisture Kids Mango Coconut Extra Nourishing Conditioner
Shea Moisture Organic Yucca & Baobab Anti-Breakage Masque
Shea Moisture Organic Yucca & Baobab Thickening Moisture Milk
Shea Moisture Organic Yucca & Baobab Volumizing Conditioner
Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter Extra Moisture Detangler (similar to KCKT)
Shea Moisture Three Butters Utility Gel Mousse
Soultanicals Hair Sorrell Kink Drink
Taliah Waajid Protective Mist Bodifier (thick; dilute with distilled H20)
Wiseways Herbals Roots Herbal Hair Tonic

LOW/LOW-ACTIVE GLYCERIN
Darcy's Botanicals Herbal Leave in Conditioning Spritz
Fairy Tales Rosemary Repel Creme Conditioner
Fairy Tales Rosemary Repel Conditioning Spray
Oyin Handmade Honey Hemp Conditioner
Oyin Handmade Frank Juice
Oyin Handmade Greg Juice
Oyin Handmade Juices & Berries
Oyin Handmade Whipped Pudding
Qhemet Biologics Amla & Olive Heavy Cream
Qhemet Biologics Burdock Root Butter Cream
Shea Moisture JBCO Strengthen, Grow & Restore Leave in conditioner

Whew, this is a darn dissertation:lachen:...hope this helps.

Last edited:
Back