Horror of Chin Hair.

Kinky4Agirl

Can someone please please tell me what will get rid of thick coarse chin hair other than threading, waxing, and plucking. I have tried everything and the only thing that works is the threading. But the threading hurts like a son of a *****. I looke like a man with a thick beard if I don't get the threading done every two weeks. It is horrible. I read on another thread that ladies are using vicks vapor rub and listerine for their feet. See, I never knew that. Is there some kind of cream, salve, or old home remedy out there that will do the trick for my chin?

Thank you to all my new found sista's!!!

the best thing to do is to exfoliate your face. this will help remove dead skin cells from the hair follicles, smooth the texture of the skin, and help ease discomfort of hair removal.

i recommend waxing, but nothing will stop hair growth. now you can get laser hair removal treatments. it will reduce the number of hairs that will grow back.

if you don't have sensitive skin, you can use hair removal creams for the face.

i hope everything works out for you. btw, i am a licensed skin care therapist.

I think Aveeno and Oil of Olay both make a facial hair removal lotion. You should try those out.

If it's really bad, I would look into laser hair removal. Not sure where you live but in the DC area, there are coupons floating around for it all the time. But make sure to check what type of laser the place is using (and know your Fiztpatrick skin type) to make sure that the laser will work well on you. I did my underarms and it worked really well (I had a 3 session coupon). If the laser doesnt remove it all the way, it will at least soften it up.

Oh great! Since you are a skin care therapist, is there a skin numbing lotion that I can buy? If the threading didn't hurt so much it would be ok.

Thanks ESMackum. I don't think I can afford the laser. And I also heard that it is not permanent either. I could be wrong.

and one more thing ESMackum,. I did try the hair removal creams that they make in the store and all it did was burn my skin. The hair was still there. I left it on longer than I was supposed to. The hair is so stubborn that it only laughed at the cream. I even tried nair and the hair stuff that men use to shave their heads and nothing has worked.

Oh great! Since you are a skin care therapist, is there a skin numbing lotion that I can buy? If the threading didn't hurt so much it would be ok.

There are numbing sprays and creams in the same aisle as hair removal products. Veet has a spray for sure.

You can try an epilator as well. It's faster than individually plucking the hairs.

But you might want to visit the doctor and get your hormone levels checked as well. It's often a sign of other underlying problems in women, such as PCOS.

Last edited:
When i started plucking my eyebrows at 13, my aunt recommended teething gel about 10-15 mins before I started plucking. I don't know if you have 'Bonjela' in the US, but that was the brand that worked for me. Numbed it well. Worth a try, though.

Thanks ESMackum. I don't think I can afford the laser. And I also heard that it is not permanent either. I could be wrong.

and one more thing ESMackum,. I did try the hair removal creams that they make in the store and all it did was burn my skin. The hair was still there. I left it on longer than I was supposed to. The hair is so stubborn that it only laughed at the cream. I even tried nair and the hair stuff that men use to shave their heads and nothing has worked.

Yeah that laser is not cheap. It is permanent for the hair follicles that it destroys, but that doesn't mean you wont grow it in a different spot.

I heard that the Oil of Olay has a medium to coarse hair removal product. It has mixed reviews but I'm the type that tries things for myself.

I also agree with PrettyinPurple. When all else fails, go see the doctor. He or she may have better insight as to what's going on.

Kinky4Agirl said:
Can someone please please tell me what will get rid of thick coarse chin hair other than threading, waxing, and plucking. I have tried everything and the only thing that works is the threading. But the threading hurts like a son of a *****. I looke like a man with a thick beard if I don't get the threading done every two weeks. It is horrible. I read on another thread that ladies are using vicks vapor rub and listerine for their feet. See, I never knew that. Is there some kind of cream, salve, or old home remedy out there that will do the trick for my chin?

Thank you to all my new found sista's!!!

I have had this problem for years. I have tried laser surgery. it didn't really work it helps slow down the hair from growing but eventually they grew back. also laser surgery stimulate new hair growth. it did however help with my ingrown hairs.

the only thing I found to permanently work is electrolysis. the electrolysis remove each individual hair 1 at a time permanently. it is cheaper than laser surgery and less painful. there is a numbing cream that you can use and works really well I cannot remember the name but if you go to Amazon.com and type in numbing cream it should come up. when I see my electrolysis I will ask her for the name again and I will post it.

good luck and I hope this helps

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch Q using LHCF

To numb up the area before hand use Bikini Zone gel, I guarantee that it won't hurt as much. Bikini zone has topical lidocaine in it. I used it before waxing down south and although it did hurt a bit, it was a thousand times better than without. For anyone who waxes and wants to use this prior BE VERY CAREFUL b/c u won't be able to feel how hot the wax is. Very warm might actually be WAY TOO HOT!! But for threading and tweezing there is no risk. Put it on, let it percolate for 10 minutes, then wipe it off so that the thread or wax will still grip the hair.

It's sold in cvs and Walgreens

GL

Last edited:
and yes Laser....Livingsocial and groupon always have specials.....sometimes 6 sessions for 100 bucks! what a steal!

Maybe try the prescription cream: VANIQUA. Maybe it would help slow the regrowth of facial hair. That way waxing/threading trips are less frequent.

images

I can tell you not to waste your money on that nono. My chin hair laughed at that thang and kept right on coming back thick and strong lol. I know it's really not a laughing matter, because I struggle with this problem as well so I feel your pain.

I'm getting YAG laser treatments in other areas and I asked the lady to give me a quick buzz on my chin. I was trying to stop this ingrown hair from coming back. It helped but now I'm noticing more hairs on my chin. So the laser is working on other areas but I think it did the opposite to my chin! I'll stick to plucking and using my homemade tend skin.

bunny82 and @ Diva Esq... the vicks vapor rub and listerine for your feet is in a thread that I read here. I don't know how to put the link on my reply. But it is on one of the other links. Not the hair care tip link. When I click on home, it is one of the links in bold over on the right side.

@Mz. momo5235--- no, vapor rub for feet not to stop hair growth...

The link is called.... "How to have smooth feet." I just saw it on the right when you click on home... Can someone put the link here for those that are interested.

I have had this problem for years. I have tried laser surgery. it didn't really work it helps slow down the hair from growing but eventually they grew back. also laser surgery stimulate new hair growth. it did however help with my ingrown hairs.

the only thing I found to permanently work is electrolysis. the electrolysis remove each individual hair 1 at a time permanently. it is cheaper than laser surgery and less painful. there is a numbing cream that you can use and works really well I cannot remember the name but if you go to Amazon.com and type in numbing cream it should come up. when I see my electrolysis I will ask her for the name again and I will post it.

good luck and I hope this helps

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch Q using LHCF

pelohello - How much is electrolysis? Where can it be done? What type of doctor did you see?

Applied Vicks vapor rub after shaving my chin definitely felt something. I don't wax or tweeze or pluck. I shave with an electrical quality razor. Much easier and no chemicals.

@pelohello - How much is electrolysis? Where can it be done? What type of doctor did you see?

Electrolysis runs between 60 bucks and up depending on the time. It is usually done at a "spa" like place or a place that specializes in it. It is not a doctor but it is a trained and licensed electrolysis that does it. However, sometimes you can find a dematologist that does it. I used to see a dermatologist for the laser removal but it wasnt working and they kept telling me that it will and after 3yrs at 250 bucks a month, a friend referred me to her electroylsis. It's still a little painful but not nearly as painful as the laser and its cheaper. You can type in electrolysis on your browser and locate a licensed electrolysis in your area and be sure to let them know your race/ethnicity.

BTW Everyone: Laser stimulates hair growth and can alters your skin pigment. I have some light spots on my chin area b/c of that and have more hair too.

Back