Hola BKTers... How often do you do your treatment??

luvn_life

I was just wondering how often you ladies do your treatment and how you know when its time. I just took the plunge and I love the results, may consider do this instead of relaxing. But,since my hair is relaxed/ texalxed/ natural (seriously), I think I may have a hard time know when it is time.

Thanks in Advance:drunk:

Hi ! I love your hair. I just did my first one too. It seems that people do the BK one month after the very first treatment for better results. Some seem to repeat the treatment 2 or three times once a month and then after the second or third treatment once every three - four months.

I, myself know that I am going to repeat the treatment in one month. Then I will gauge how my hair feels after that to determine how soon my third will be. After the third for sure, I would like to do it once every three months. HTH!

Hi ! I love your hair.(THANK YOU:grin:!!!) I just did my first one too. It seems that people do the BK one month after the very first treatment for better results. Some seem to repeat the treatment 2 or three times once a month and then after the second or third treatment once every three - four months.

I, myself know that I am going to repeat the treatment in one month. Then I will gauge how my hair feels after that to determine how soon my third will be. After the third for sure, I would like to do it once every three months. HTH!

Really I didn't know they do it so often... Why do is it done so often?? Is it in case the treatment didn't take the first time.

It depends. For naturals wanting to loosen the curl a little and create more defined curls, it seems that the results are always best after the second or third treatment. For relaxed heads, esp. those with damage, the results are best after the second or third treatment. I think that's why INITIALLY people repeat the treatments sooner. After that, people can go for up to four months depending on their and hair goals.

BTW, when I say best results, I mean the hair is full, shiny, strong, very healthy and swings.

Kyna,

I am texlaxed as well. I did my first BKT on April 13. I just did a mild tex-lax retouch a week 1/2 ago (left it on for about 7-10 minutes) and I'm ready to BKT again either today or tomorrow (whenever my package arrives).

Since you are tex-laxed the BKT will get the chemical treated part of your hair bone straight. I do the mild relaxers so I can get bone straight results without using lye/no lye. Since, I colored my hair and tex-laxed (the neutralizing shampoo removed some of the treatment) over the BKT that removed some of the treatment. If I wouldn't have done the chemicals I wouldn't need to BKT again so soon. My new growth is pretty wavy/straight-ish so I can go about 20 weeks without it waving up too much. After this treatment I don't think I'll BKT again for another 4 months.

Thank you so much ladies... I think I understand why some ladies do their applications so soon.

Ladies feel free to continue to comment. I would like to see different experiences:grin:

By the way... mine came out really good. At first I was unsure because my new growth was still curly and I didnt know how loose the curl was supposed to be. It was softer though. Detangling was a breeze. It took me about 10 min to blow dry it (normally about 40 min) and flat ironing too barley any time. The swang is freakin unbelievable. I think I might stick with this for life. I'm not sure if I'll relax again. We'll see. Also, I'm glad I did it myself. I made my appt to get it done this Saturday but about 2 weeks ago I cancelled that appt. I'm SOOOOOO glad I did it myself instead of paying $250 to get it done. And I got to do it the way I wanted to do it and eliminate some of the heat. I only flat iron my hair on 300 and did about 3 passes. And I didnt blow dry after clarifying.

I'm in love:love:

By the way... My siggy is not the picture. I couldn't get a clear picture by myself. So stay tuned:)

I think some pple do it so soon b/c they want it REALLY straight and AA hair doesnt always straighten as easily as other types of hair do with the BKT - might be somewhat resilient if ur a 4zzzzz. Another reason i think pple do it so soon is b/c they LOVE it so much they dont even want to let it wear off a smiggen - lol.

i myself only do it twice a year for several reasons....
1. its expensive
2. some of my fav shampoos and condishs have sodium chloride in them and i need to use them up somehow cuz they cost a pretty penny
3. I dont use heat on my hair more than once a month and since im transitioning (75% natural) it will last the minimum time on my head (around 2 months) so keeping up with it is just too much heat.
4. I want to make sure i dont forget what my natural hair is like, and i also want to prove that it DOES revert for those naturals that are still scared to try it.
5. Everybody is soooooooo worried about the damn ingredients, i figure twice a year cant really be any worse then breathing in a relaxer every 2/3 months like i used to.

I know when its reverting because the comb doesnt glide as easily when i wash, there is more of a difference in my two textures when i airdry (tight curls and scraggly ends become more prominent, as does shrinkage) and (if i did use heat) i'd notice drying time would start getting back to normal (more like an hour under the dryer rather than half hour i need when BKT is fresh)

I did my very first BKT in May 1, 2009. And it has pretty much worn off already. My 4a shrinkage is back in full force (and that is a good thing.:yep:) I was planning on doing a second treatment on July 1 but now I'm not sure. The summer is here and that is when I normally wear my hair in its natural state.
And I will be doing some water sports next month. So I may be sticking to my original plan which was to do BKT once and just let it completely wear off. And review the status of my hair post BKT.

And KMH ladies I have made a new video on how I do my WashNGo post BKT, I will post it later this week.

I did my second BKT on April 23 and it noticeably wore off in about 6 weeks. I waited a bit longer and did the 3rd BKT on June 20. I expect it to last 6 - 8 weeks. I am transitioning and probably 75% natural. I have a few relaxed/texlaxed pieces that I intend to cut off by the end of the year. When my curly hair begins to frizz and when it's not as easy to detangle, I know that the BKT is wearing off.

I do not want straight hair and only use heat for the BKT treatment and occasionally to blend my hair to wear straight half wigs. Lately, I've been in a wavy half wig and have not been flat ironing.

Last edited:
I'm using BKT to help me stretch. AND because it's the ish...

I will reapply about every 6 weeks since my NG will kick in soon after that. I am trying to stretch my relaxers out 6 months...I think I can do it gracefully with the help of BKT.

Right now I'm 11 weeks post and you cannot even tell. My hair looks better than it did at 1 day post relaxer.

I think some pple do it so soon b/c they want it REALLY straight and AA hair doesnt always straighten as easily as other types of hair do with the BKT - might be somewhat resilient if ur a 4zzzzz. Another reason i think pple do it so soon is b/c they LOVE it so much they dont even want to let it wear off a smiggen - lol.

i myself only do it twice a year for several reasons....
1. its expensive
2. some of my fav shampoos and condishs have sodium chloride in them and i need to use them up somehow cuz they cost a pretty penny
3. I dont use heat on my hair more than once a month and since im transitioning (75% natural) it will last the minimum time on my head (around 2 months) so keeping up with it is just too much heat.
4. I want to make sure i dont forget what my natural hair is like, and i also want to prove that it DOES revert for those naturals that are still scared to try it.
5. Everybody is soooooooo worried about the damn ingredients, i figure twice a year cant really be any worse then breathing in a relaxer every 2/3 months like i used to

I know when its reverting because the comb doesnt glide as easily when i wash, there is more of a difference in my two textures when i airdry (tight curls and scraggly ends become more prominent, as does shrinkage) and (if i did use heat) i'd notice drying time would start getting back to normal (more like an hour under the dryer rather than half hour i need when BKT is fresh)

My hair has definitely reverted. :yep: I washed, air dried then put my Caruso Rollers in. My air dried hair is more wavy/curly ,when initially, it was bone straight!

I'm still experimenting with the BKT and trying to figure out how to make it a part of my life 4-ever...lol...so I agree a few times (3-4x) a year can't be worse than relaxing (I tex-laxed twice in 2008).

I am 100% natural. I am doing it once a month. My hair does GREAT with it . My wash n go's look fab. I only wear it straight for the initial time until I have to wash. I hope it helps me reach my hair of MBL by December. It also keeps my hair from knotting, which is why I am a BKT'er for LIFE! :yep:

I will be doing my 3rd one in a couple weeks.

Back