Hmmm, this product's a keeper for dyeing my grays!

Bubblingbrownshuga

Hey! :wave:

I had been contemplating if I wanted to dye my gray hairs or just let them spring up.

At the end I ended up dyeing them :lol: I didn't do it because I was tired of the strands, I did simply because I wanted to see if I could or if I would resort to a professional. I bought a bottle of Tints of Nature because I was trying to keep it as natural as possible, but that one bottle was a bit pricey and I knew I would need more.

I happened to visit www.treasuredlocks.com and saw this product called Natural Colors Henna, which contains no ammonia and peroxide and is available in several different colors. I noticed that it received rave reviews on their site, so I decided to try the black color.

Honestly, I really like it! It's incredients include: Pure Henna, Amla, Citric Acid, Bhringaraj, p-phenylene diamine.

I applied it all over because I didn't want two shades of hair :lol: This stuff left my hair AMAZINGLY soft and it definitely covered my gray hair! I noticed that I had a slight midnight blue-black tint to my hair, but unfortunately others couldn't see it. I know it was due to the henna and me mixing it with the apple cider vinegar. I made a few messes, but because I didn't allow them to sit, they didn't stain anything.

The only thing I don't like is how often you have to reapply the product- every 4-6 weeks, but oh well. That's the price you pay for semi permanent color.

I made a youtube tutorial about it here: http://youtu.be/RgKSWVKSdCA

Last edited:
No drying effect?
My last henna job was so drying. And I didn't get all the gray. Maybe I'm doing something wrong...

Woooo. This sounds awesome. I NEED something for my grays. I don't have many of them but they are making random appearances now-a-days. lol.

Beautiful results! Love your videos. :yep:

Good info! And your hair looks fab :) My grays are slowly but surely making their way to a takeover lol. I have never used hair color and trying to stay away from it, but the more gray hair that pops up the more I consider it. If I do start seriously thinking about, I will be considering the Henna route.

I need something for the few gray strands in my bangs and crown. I'm talking 5 strands, maybe 7. I used to pull them (lol).

But I'm scared to try Henna on Texlaxed hair. I would do it if I was natural. But I'm texlaxed and I don't want dry hair....if I try it, I will let you know how it goes.

OP, your hair - GORGEOUS.

About the color...and I haven't checked the website yet, please forgive....but I have a few questions:

Apple Cider vinegar - did you dilute it with something else before putting into the color mix? Does the color call for the cider or is that of your own choosing?

Conditioning - After you washed, did you condition your hair THEN apply color, or did you skip conditioning altogether?

Effects - How often do you wash/cowash your hair in general?

TIA

I have these questions because your hair turned out lovely and I'd like some coloring options for my own hair.

I find this product interesting, but I also am a little skeptical. I read some of the FAQ about this product, and they suggested that you wait for about 5 weeks after chemical services are done because it might cause damage and breakage. I have done an henna treatment before and after a relaxer on the same day and had no breakage at all. I made the mistake a few weeks ago and did a Bigen treatment which is suppose to be natural with no ammonia, peroxiode, etc. I then followed up with a cassia treatment which is neutral henna just to add some strength to my hair. I find cassia to be very drying. I followed up with a moisturising treatment for 1 hour. About a couple weeks later I noticed I had breakage aournd my hairline. I have not experienced breakage in many, many years and I was worried. I immediately did a aphogee 2 step treatment to halt the breakage and everything seems fine now. I only applied the Bigen around my hairline because those little grays come up for me mostly around this area. It was hard trying to figure out what happened. I pinpointed the problem and realized it had to be the combination of Bigen and Cassia. I say all of this to say, be careful with products that say henna but comes in different colors. Henna is a natural product and we are encouraged to buy the body quality art which is the best henna without metallic salts etc. But henna is only one color and that is red/burgundy, not different colors. Cassia is neutral and indigo black. I'm just a little leary. I guess the best thing to do is to follow the manufacturers recommendations and you shouldn't have any problem.

Thanks for the info OP! Off to do some research...

Your hair is like AWESOME... :cloud9::lovedrool:

Last edited:
OP, your hair - GORGEOUS.

About the color...and I haven't checked the website yet, please forgive....but I have a few questions:

Apple Cider vinegar - did you dilute it with something else before putting into the color mix? Does the color call for the cider or is that of your own choosing?

Conditioning - After you washed, did you condition your hair THEN apply color, or did you skip conditioning altogether?

Effects - How often do you wash/cowash your hair in general?

TIA

I have these questions because your hair turned out lovely and I'd like some coloring options for my own hair.

I didn't dilute the ACV. On the jar, it says you can mix with warm water, but there's a pamphlet that comes with the product that's more detailed and suggests ACV.

I wash my hair weekly and for this product, it called for washed hair, so I opted to cowash it.

Please be careful, I see that the dye has PPD (paraphenylenediamine) which can be a main offender in serious contact allergies, and leads to sensitisation to future applications of the same chemical.
Indigo is really good for getting a black colour too! :)

Back