Hmmm...the truth behind Domincan blowouts? They have some serious "bad hair" issues!

Re: : Hmmm...the truth behind Domincan blowouts? They have some serious "bad hair" issues!

so1913 said:
The idea that "it's not cool to be black" is wide spread. Various cultures deny their African roots because of our devalued status throughout history. Who would want to be identified as the low man on the totum pole? ( Of course that was a sarcastic remark). This article doesn't upset me anymore than I had been already...because it's nothing new I hadn't already seen in my own backyard.

Yea i understand what you mean. I'm just so sick of this self hating like damn. :(

Re: Hmmm...the truth behind Domincan blowouts? They have some serious "bad hair" issu

ayanapooh said:
I know what you mean. I still haven't fully digested the article yet. It's really sad. I honestly had NO IDEA that other cultures had such issues! I know that may sound ignorant, but I really didn't. I know our hangups with hair texture and skin color in this country are directly linked to slavery, but I guess there are other places with the same problems. :ohwell: It really does explain why so many Domincan stylists would look at me with utter disdain when I went natural, and declare that my hair was nappy, and that I needed a perm. I just shrugged it off thinking they got it from us, but it looks like they probably brought it here with them! I don't have any problem with relaxed hair, heck I'm often on the fence about whether or not to relax again b/c it's so humid here in Miami. But when it's linked to such self hate....:perplexed

Well one thing we have to understand is that black Dominicans ARE African like we are. During the Slave Trade, Some were dropped off in South America, others in the Carribean, Dominican Republic and of course the U.S. No, they didn't bring that attitude here, they are simply dealing with the same pressures we had but we are the ones(Americans) who over came very much. ;)

I'm not surprised at all. I knew this was a worldwide issue. In fact it's probably universe-wide. If there is life on other planets, I'm sure our little dark skinned curly headed alien brothers and sisters are getting screwed over.

Re: Hmmm...the truth behind Domincan blowouts? They have some serious "bad hair" issu

tsiporah said:
Well one thing we have to understand is that black Dominicans ARE African like we are. During the Slave Trade, Some were dropped off in South America, others in the Carribean, Dominican Republic and of course the U.S. No, they didn't bring that attitude here, they are simply dealing with the same pressures we had but we are the ones(Americans) who over came very much. ;)

Oh I fully understand that they are African like us, which is why I used the word culture instead of race. And I was fully aware that blacks were dropped of at different points during the slave trade. I just never realized that such blatant color/hair issues are prevelant in places outside the US. ;)

ayanapooh said:
Oh I fully understand that they are African like us, which is why I used the word culture instead of race. And I was fully aware that blacks were dropped of at different points during the slave trade. I just never realized that such blatant color/hair issues are prevelant in places outside the US. ;)

You're bound to have color/hair issues anytime white colonists inhabit an area where the people do not look like them.

tsiporah said:

Yep!!! Ignorance is everywhere:yep: and yes I am 100 % Dominican.

Things will only change when people get educated and must of all, when they get to know the Lord.

Do not forget we all have suffered some kind of descrimination. When you think about this article do not forget the black folks (us) who are also Domincan, and will never get a better life in our own country just because of the color of our skin.

Please do not see this as all Dominicans, remember those who are suffiring too.;)

This article almost made me cry... just thinking about all the young darker skin dominican girls having to deal with all the negative views around them...
wow

march87 said:
This whole thing is both saddening and angering at the same time. Why can't all people just see the beauty in black. It truly is a "dark" day in the history in mankind. I guess that question will be answered at the end of time.

lol there is no need for me to comment u said what I think and feel all the time
yahoo-default-smileys-19.gif
... when will people realize black is beautiful and a wonderful array of skin tones..hair textures and cultures...
yahoo-default-smileys-25.gif
There would be no life if it werent for Africa... the whole world has African roots.."ignorance" is the worst disease of mankind
yahoo-default-smileys-28.gif

Last edited:
MissMadaam said:
lol there is no need for me to comment u said what I think and feel all the time
yahoo-default-smileys-19.gif
.. when will people realize black is beautiful and a wonderful array of skin tones..hair textures and cultures...
yahoo-default-smileys-25.gif
There would be no life if it werent for Africa... the whole world has African roots.."ignorance" is the worst disease of mankind
yahoo-default-smileys-28.gif

I hear you.

The overwhelming majority of African people and their descendants have been affected by European colonialism and cultural imperialism.

I think instead of being sad we should be glad that our Afro Latino brethren may be on the dawn of an awakening that happened here much earlier. Articles like this put the spotlight on issues that need to be talked about and worked on within their own cultural context and on a Pan African level.

This is a really good thread. We forget how far we have come in this country, especially the younger ones who really didn't or haven't had to deal w/ racist attitudes yet. I think education and self awareness are key. I think my grandmother was on to something when she said that the worse thing in this country was when black people went from being "colored" to "negro." Because up until that time ALL non-white minorities were considered "colored", blacks, chinese, Indian from India, arabs, latinos and such. We were united and larger than any white group. Then came the Divide and Conquer by separating us and telling the other groups that they were better than us. We lost our support group then the struggle was only our burden to bear. Ever thought what kind of powerhouse we could build if all the minority powerhouses such as the NAACP, Indian Forum, Jewish Anti-defamation League, and the like joined forces and political agendas.....:brainy:...Yes, exactly. This would have been a different dagonne country.

This is not sad but enlightening now some who did not know - know and we all can do something about. First by teaching our children to love themselves and have pride, compassion and love for all man kind and find beauty in all man kind. No more of that I don't think asian's or _________(please insert group here) are attractive.:)

that's a damn shame! but i say F*&k them! and people who think like them! that is TRUE IGNORANCE right there! that old European mentality of "love me, hate yourself". i hate it...

I came across this info around the time I joined hair boards, which was also the time I found out that for some the phrases "good hair/bad hair" did not define the condition of hair, as in "healthy hair/damaged hair" respectively but rather described the texture - the straighter it is the better; and the kinkier it is the worse. :(

But rather than scoff at the misguided beliefs, I became soberly aware of yet another cruel blow that slavery dealt us. :nono: If you were less African-looking, then you were more likely to work in the big house, instead of the plantation. I imagine this spilled over to the years after slaverly was abolished so that you were likely to get hired if you looked a certain way. So life became survival for the one who least bears resemblance to his/her African roots. And some wounds just take longer to heal...if ever. Kinda makes you understand why Dominicans are so good at getting hair straight.

There were threads that discussed this topic in the OT forum a few years ago:

There's No Racism Here?
The Politics of Dominican Hair

(((La Flaca))) I think everyone empathizes with you because it's all about us. I can't even be mad at the Dominican who really buys into this. It isn't their fault that they feel that way. Someone planted that seed in the them. Just like it was planted in the minds of the kids in A Girl Like Me

Last edited:
Thanks for posting this! It is a real eye-opener. I will pass this on to some people I think may be interested.

(Mouth Dropped!):eek:! Some people are just ashamed of who they really are. This article only addresses the opinions of a few out of millions. I like to look on the bright side of things, I am sure they all do not feel that way. I have Dominican friends who envy african americans.

Those articules are so sad. I can't believe people could hate themselves so much. In saying that though, I know quit a few people who play up their white ancestry ( oh yah my Grandmother was 'insert European country’ and dont get me started on comments made about me marry my SO cause I want my kids to have good hair.

so1913 said:
I can't look down on them for their views or be more critical of them anymore than I can us.

this is what I think. I take this article with a grain of salt, its really not surprising to me, this is something that is prevailent in the 'black' community aswell.

Its a little bit far fetched to me... at the beginning of the artcle it said something about straightening hair and how experts believe to be a sign of black hatred - something of them lines, as we all should know here, that is not necessarily the case all the time. I chemical treat my hair and can't nobody tell me I do so b/c of self hatred.

In relation to the comments made by the women that doesn't represent the majority of DR women

Wow, this is too deep. But you can't knock them for their own cultural beliefs. Now I really want to go to DR. Sounds like a historical tour would very interesting.

Very sad, but this is something I've known about for a long time. We had several Dominican girls at my college and some of them would talk about the racial issues as related to being black. One Dominican girl I knew told me that her grandmother used to always talk about how her only blessing was that she was born with good hair because she was so dark.

Wow, this is really something to read and unfortunately I knew all about this. I have had a Dominican best friend who I have always believed to be a Black Dominican, however she made sure to always correct me and state that she was Latina. She had strong Native American features and would play on that every chance that she got. As for hair (which I'm pretty sure she relaxed or had blown dried on the regular since her mother was a Dominican stylist) would claim that her natural hair was straight, even though I could see her curly roots come in from time to time :nono:

Also she was heavily into White Latins with blue or green eyes because she always thought of how exotic her children would turn out and this pleased her more than anything. She is now engaged to a wonderful Black man who she gave a very hard time for many years, but has come to her senses and sees that this is the best thing walking in her life, however she has aborted his child because she is fearful of having a Black child with his Black features :( She now tells me that although she loves him she doesn't want any children and I know that she has wanted children before.

It's just very unfortunate what some other cultures go through because of self hate...especially when they don't realize it! She's never realized that she hates a part of herself when she acts that way!

My best friend is dominican and she has all those issues discussed in the article. She always refers to herself as having bad hair and not being lght enough. It's really sad to see her talk like that at times but I always blow her off and tell her you'll get over it.:lol:

tnorenberg said:
This is a really good thread. We forget how far we have come in this country, especially the younger ones who really didn't or haven't had to deal w/ racist attitudes yet. I think education and self awareness are key. I think my grandmother was on to something when she said that the worse thing in this country was when black people went from being "colored" to "negro." Because up until that time ALL non-white minorities were considered "colored", blacks, chinese, Indian from India, arabs, latinos and such. We were united and larger than any white group. Then came the Divide and Conquer by separating us and telling the other groups that they were better than us. We lost our support group then the struggle was only our burden to bear. Ever thought what kind of powerhouse we could build if all the minority powerhouses such as the NAACP, Indian Forum, Jewish Anti-defamation League, and the like joined forces and political agendas.....:brainy:...Yes, exactly. This would have been a different dagonne country.

I agree, very good points. At the end of Martin Luther King's life he was branching out to include all oppressed people. This definately would have been an unmovable force.

This was a very good article.

For the ladies that go to Dominican salons, does this make you think twice about going there?

BeaLady said:
For the ladies that go to Dominican salons, does this make you think twice about going there?

For me it never has, because I realize that just because people carry around psychological and emotional "stuff" it doesn't mean that they are bad people or don't have good intentions. The Dominicans that I used to go to were the sweetest 2 women and would handle my hair with love and care. They never made me feel bad about my hair texture when it was growing in and I trusted them!

Back