Hip Hip Horray for LadyPaniolo Deep Moisture Method....

fancypants007

Who else is feeling me!

I have been doing my own hair using this deep moisture method and i can tell my hair is thriving. I had problems with hairstylists cornrolling my hair and since I don't know how to cornroll since October I have been doing my own hair; plaiting each hair section and interconnecting braids one to the other. When I'm finish after 3 hours, I have only 3 plaits in the back that I pin up with goody hair pins and then put my weave cap over them and then put on my half wig. I purchased the silk beanie cap but i love the weave cap because when I place my bobby pins to secure my half wig, they can easy connect to weave cap and it stays put. I leave my plaits in for about 4 weeks and start all over again. My hair looks so good as I'm massing my Kercare humecto conditioner into my hair. I find myself just looking at my hair, it is so shiny and healthy looking. I can't wait until the end of this challenge to see how much hair I have retained.

Thanks so much LadyPaniolo, this is a shout out to you.

I think Lady Paniolo stated that she used Chicoro Deep moisture Method

Last edited:
Here it is

About my Deep Moisture Method
Rate this Entry
5 Comments
by LadyPaniolo on 02-24-2010 at 01:21 PM (415 Views)
It's not really mine, I stole it from Chicorro but I use it! lol

The hair needs to be damp, so you can either do this after a wash or you can wet your hair with a spray bottle. It works especially well after a protein treatment.

Spray Bottle: The contents of my spray bottle vary from day to day, but what's usually in there is: Infusium 23 leave-in, braid spray like African Royale or a moisturizing leave-in spray like Elasta QP makes. About 1/3 water, some aloe vera gel (it has a juice consistency). Sometimes I add tea tree oil or jojoba oil.

Wet the hair, and section into tiny sections. To each section apply a good Deep Conditioner. Massage it into your hair, don't rush. Once it's absorbed, seal. Use something heavy with a greasy texture lol.

Here it is

Who else is feeling me!

I have been doing my own hair using this deep moisture method and i can tell my hair is thriving. I had problems with hairstylists cornrolling my hair and since I don't know how to cornroll since October I have been doing my own hair; plaiting each hair section and interconnecting braids one to the other. When I'm finish after 3 hours, I have only 3 plaits in the back that I pin up with goody hair pins and then put my weave cap over them and then put on my half wig. I purchased the silk beanie cap but i love the weave cap because when I place my bobby pins to secure my half wig, they can easy connect to weave cap and it stays put. I leave my plaits in for about 4 weeks and start all over again. My hair looks so good as I'm massing my Kercare humecto conditioner into my hair. I find myself just looking at my hair, it is so shiny and healthy looking. I can't wait until the end of this challenge to see how much hair I have retained.

Thanks so much LadyPaniolo, this is a shout out to you.

I'm subscribed to Chicoro so I will have to research this but you DC and don't wash it out? Is that what I'm reading? I tried Chicoro's prepoo and it works great. http://www.longhaircareforum.com/ha...09482-you-need-moisture-drenched-pre-poo.html

Yayy!!Happy it is working for you. Can you explain how you do yours?

I do mine just like LadyPaniolo outlines in her instructions. When I take down my braids after 4 weeks, i remove all the shed hair. I clarify my hair with shampoo, then use a hydrating moisture shampoo. Next i use either the Aphoghee 2 step protein, or Aphoghee 2 minute reconstructor. Use heat for 30 minutes and rinse. I section my hair, front, middle, back. I work with front section first; divide hair into 8 so I will have 8 small plaits in front. I take the first section, spray leave in conditioner to open cuticle, apply keracare humecto conditioner, massage it in until absorbed (about 60 seconds) comb thru, and then apply hair butter, hair oil to seal. I plait to almost at the end, add more oil to hair ends and then I move to next section until the whole front section is done. I follow the same steps for the middle section but before I start plaiting the middle section, I take one of the plaits from the front and as I'm plaiting I interconnect the front plait to the middle section, the middle plaits to the back section until my whole head is plaited. When finish I have about 3 plaits that I pin up with goody hair pins and then put on my weave cap before I apply my half wig. It works out very nice for me because I wear half wigs with some of my plaits showing in front. I really love this deep moisture method.

i'll definitely be trying this as soon as i get my half wigs...but do you think you could show us a pic of the interconnecting plaits? because i dont know how to cornrow either, and i dont want to depend on anyone else to do it.

Ooohhhh, these interconnecting plaits.... we do them in Africa all the time, we call them chains, taking me way back :D I like your deep moisture method, I'll have to try it when I purchase a wig. Right now I'm in the braid challenge.

i'll definitely be trying this as soon as i get my half wigs...but do you think you could show us a pic of the interconnecting plaits? because i dont know how to cornrow either, and i dont want to depend on anyone else to do it.

I have one of those dinasaur cameras and don't think it will be anytime soon when I can post a pic. I remember as a little girl getting my hair combed and braided, my mom will divide by hair on one side. Section the side hair into 2 or 3 sections. She would plait the top section, next the middle section, but she would plait the front plait into middle plait and she would do the same thing for the 3rd section. When she finish I would have 1 side plait not 3. I hope this makes sense. This is how I do my interconnecting plaits all over my head. I divide my hair into 4 sections from ear to ear (front, middle front, middle back, back). I pin up the other sections because I always start first with front section. I divide front section into how may plaits I want, usually 6 or 8. I try to divide them evenly so the plaits will be the same size. I put a clip on each section. I usually start at the side and work to the other side, plaiting each section. Next I move to the middle front and using the front as a guide, I divide my hair into the same amout of sections 6 or 8. I take one of the middle front sections and one of my front plaits and as I'm plaiting the middle section, I'm interconnecting the front plait with it. This is what I do all over my head, but I use smaller plaits in front and bigger plaits in the middle and middle back sections. I wear my half wig in 3/4 styles where my front plaits are shown. I put on headband and I'm good to go. I hope this answers your question.

I do mine just like LadyPaniolo outlines in her instructions. When I take down my braids after 4 weeks, i remove all the shed hair. I clarify my hair with shampoo, then use a hydrating moisture shampoo. Next i use either the Aphoghee 2 step protein, or Aphoghee 2 minute reconstructor. Use heat for 30 minutes and rinse. I section my hair, front, middle, back. I work with front section first; divide hair into 8 so I will have 8 small plaits in front. I take the first section, spray leave in conditioner to open cuticle, apply keracare humecto conditioner, massage it in until absorbed (about 60 seconds) comb thru, and then apply hair butter, hair oil to seal. I plait to almost at the end, add more oil to hair ends and then I move to next section until the whole front section is done. I follow the same steps for the middle section but before I start plaiting the middle section, I take one of the plaits from the front and as I'm plaiting I interconnect the front plait to the middle section, the middle plaits to the back section until my whole head is plaited. When finish I have about 3 plaits that I pin up with goody hair pins and then put on my weave cap before I apply my half wig. It works out very nice for me because I wear half wigs with some of my plaits showing in front. I really love this deep moisture method.

putting DC without rinsing it out,
then putting hair butter, hair oil for sealing..
doesn't your hair become oily after that? for the next weeks do you apply something after that?

:rosebud: HOW did I miss this thread???

Thank you so much for this! :D I'm glad it's proved useful, and anyone with any more questions should hit up the challenge thread... :)

Oh geezzz this sounds so good. I remember now from the above explanations that my mom used to give me those plaits when i was a kiddo. Hmmmm.....sometimes the simple things of the past just seem to elude us. Thanks LP for reviving an old tradition wit a twist to it:yep:

Has anyone been able to use this technique with braids? I dont usually wear half or whole wigs but i like getting my hair braided. Will probably get yarn braids in the next couple of weeks.

putting DC without rinsing it out,
then putting hair butter, hair oil for sealing..
doesn't your hair become oily after that? for the next weeks do you apply something after that?

This is the whole purpose for the Deep Moisture Method to keep your hair moisturised. Do a search for the thread about LadyPaniolo and the DMM. A bunch of us are on this challenge for a year. To answer your question, after plaiting/braiding my hair for the next few weeks I spray my braids every other day and I oil my scalp at least 3-4 times a week. I also try to wash my scalp every week with witch hazel astringent, but I think I'm going to start using Dr. Bronners Shikakai tea tree soap. I saw a YouTube video by Shima and she used shampoo and water in spray bottle to wash her scalp. I must say when you take your braids down (for me it's usually 4 weeks), your hair is so moisturised and soft. I clarify my hair every time I take braids down. I love this DMM. I can already tell that my hair is thriving.

Oh geezzz this sounds so good. I remember now from the above explanations that my mom used to give me those plaits when i was a kiddo. Hmmmm.....sometimes the simple things of the past just seem to elude us. Thanks LP for reviving an old tradition wit a twist to it:yep:

LP does her hair in a beehive cornroll not interconnecting plaits. I don't know how to do cornrolls which is why I decided to plait my hair interconnecting one to the other. I've had bad experiences going to braiders and I made a vow a few months ago to start doing my own hair - interconnecting plaits for me. It takes me about 3 hours to do and it is working for me. When I take down my braids they are so soft and moist.

oh yeah!!! I love this method so much. It's working for me. My hair looks a hundred times better. No more dryness and not brittle to the touch. It's moisturized and behaving. I'm so happy I feel on to the DMM.

I'm really intrigued by this method since my homemade cornrows look like crap right now, but I'm really confused. How do 8 braids in the front turn into 3 braids in the back?

If I am only re doing my braids every 6 to 8 weeks what do I do when my hair frizzes out. And I have some really frizzy hair. Does it matter; wont that hair get matted? This method sounds so good tho.

I'm really intrigued by this method since my homemade cornrows look like crap right now, but I'm really confused. How do 8 braids in the front turn into 3 braids in the back?

My granny used to do this in my hair. So imagine your hair is parted into 9 sections evenly. In the first column of plaits, the front one is plaited into the middle one and the middle one is plaited into the back one. So when you are done with the first plait when you start the second one you pull the tail of the first plait into the second plait so it becomes apart of the second plait and is fully connected. This is done across the whole head leaving you with 3 plaits hanging down the back as there is nothing to connect them to; then you pin the ones hanging down up.
100_925.jpg
I hope that helps.

Last edited:
My granny used to do this in my hair. So imagine your hair is parted into 9 sections evenly. In the first column of plaits, the front one is plaited into the middle one and the middle one is plaited into the back one. So when you are done with the first plait when you start the second one you pull the tail of the first plait into the second plait so it becomes apart of the second plait and is fully connected. This is done across the whole head leaving you with 3 plaits hanging down the back as there is nothing to connect them to; then you pin the ones hanging down up.
100_925.jpg
I hope that helps.

Thank you for explaining the technique and showing a picture. That is exactly how my hair is interconnected to one another except my plaits in the front are small because when I wear my half wigs, my plaits are shown a little.

If I am only re doing my braids every 6 to 8 weeks what do I do when my hair frizzes out. And I have some really frizzy hair. Does it matter; wont that hair get matted? This method sounds so good tho.

I apply moisturising cream to my plaits everyday to try to counteract the frizz. I put on my weave cap and then my half wigs so it doesn't matter that my hair is frizzy. I'm doing something different this month. I remember LadyPaniolo said that if you wet your hair (using moisturising sprays, cowashes, etc.) and then let it air dry, this will cause excessive matting because you are rewetting your hair and then letting it air dry. Some ladies were doing this process 2-3 times a week and they had matting. This month I decided to use a cream moisturiser instead of a wet spray and I want to see how my hair responds at the end of this month. I had more matting when I had cornroll braids, then I do with my piggyback plaits.

100_925.jpg
I hope that helps.

There's a tutorial of this on YT.

How to do piggyback braids

omgosh thanks so much :D I'm going to try this tonight

I have been doing this challenge since about December I believe and the moisture and softeness that my hair has been able to retain is amazing! I love knowing that my hair is flourishing from this. I have done 2 aphogee treatments since starting this and will be henna-ing my hair soon. I apply a cream moisturizer to my braids daily and seal my ends with castor oil. Right now my hair is out in a bun like style for the next 2 days and will re-cornrow on Friday night after I co-wash. I apply my deep conditioner to each section that I braid and I braid damp hair. I found that I can not braid my hair super wet and don't like doing it dry. My hair is super shiny and healthy looking too...I love it!

Back