Hindsight Being 20/20, I Definitely Feel Like A Dummy

Gr8ness83

I am sooo frustrated. Who is the dummy that broke off as much hair as she grew in one year??? SMDH. I am sooo mad at myself because my hair would be healthy and waist length right now had I continued doing what I was doing and not doing WnG’s in the winter, allowing other people to do my hair, not trimming when I knew I needed to. I learned so much about what I can and cannot do with my hair this past year. I was pretty alright until about May of 2017 when I decided to curl my hair. I hadn’t used heat other than to DC and occasionally blow dry for a trim. It was the beginning of the trauma for my hair. I Know that my hair was growing but I had not realized how much it was breaking off. Apparently, I was breaking off ½” of hair per month. Yup, that’s right. I was breaking my hair off as fast as it was growing in. I think the initial curl incident weakened my entire hair shaft then going to braiders who were not as gentle and caring for my hair as I am was my ultimate downfall. It is crazy to see where I could have been (Full WL) instead of a struggle APL. Now I am focused on regaining the health of my hair so it will not break off anymore. I am going right back into the PS that got my hair to the healthy state that it was and I am going to be soooo much more selective IF I ever allow someone to do my hair in the future. Mega Tek and MTG helped my hair growth tremendously and helped my scalp get to a strong and healthy state (I get the botanical MTG and mix it with navratna oil and other essential oils and there is no “bacon” smell whatsoever) Of course my vitamins and healthy eating habits were critical as well.

The first pic is before (left) and after (right) my trim. I actually cut more off after I took the pic.

The second split pics are one year apart. Had I not broken my hair off then I would have allll that color still in my hair. Smh. It is safe to say that I learned my lesson. I hadn’t had color in my hair in years. It was definitely helpful in identifying how my hair grows. If I didn’t have the color then I would have assumed that my hair just wasn’t growing, that is not the case, it was just breaking off as fast as it grew! LESSON LEARNED!

Attachments

• EC219F7D-E102-4B17-B745-A972F9C4D455.jpeg
    EC219F7D-E102-4B17-B745-A972F9C4D455.jpeg
    622.1 KB · Views: 251
  • F12AD459-C15E-4B13-8330-667E96C3AC08.jpeg
    F12AD459-C15E-4B13-8330-667E96C3AC08.jpeg
    545.3 KB · Views: 251
:shocked: That colored before & after...! What protective style are you going to use?

I used to do my own faux locs. I knew exactly how much of my own hair goes into each loc and the method I used, I would wash and DC my scalp. I wrapped the locs so well that I could still feel the oil on my strands as I removed them after having them in for months. When I washed and dc my hair, I focused on my scalp and new growth and let the water rinse down the strands of the locs so it never washed out the oil that I had sealed my braids in under the locs (JBCO). I never worried about slip to anything because He method that I braided my hair and wrapped my hair to create the loc secured the hair at the scalp. At some point I may go back to that but installing these boho locs take up a mere fraction of the time it takes to do my method.

From the looks of it, you grow quite a good bit of hair in a year. I can't eyeball in inches but that's a lot of growth! Do you think any of your breakage attributed to the color in your hair at all? I wonder if it wasn't just a little beat of heat and rough braiding, but perhaps the hair was already fragile and ready to hit the road.

Either way, I'm sure if you PS your hair will grow back nice and healthy relatively quickly. I'm sorry for your set back, I know how frustrating it can be. :(

From the looks of it, you grow quite a good bit of hair in a year. I can't eyeball in inches but that's a lot of growth! Do you think any of your breakage attributed to the color in your hair at all? I wonder if it wasn't just a little beat of heat and rough braiding, but perhaps the hair was already fragile and ready to hit the road.

Either way, I'm sure if you PS your hair will grow back nice and healthy relatively quickly. I'm sorry for your set back, I know how frustrating it can be. :(

I don’t think so about the color. My hair was super strong and healthy even after had been colored. My hair and pictures looks a lot darker than what it is, it’s actually a deep brown so when the colorist lightened my hair, she did not use bleach To get that color. Actually, it was lighter originally. This copper color came about after I began using henna to get that color. Are used a curling wand to do curls on my hair and did not properly prepare my hair and I believe this was the ultimate beginning of the end for the health of my hair. Allowing others to do my hair exacerbated The damage that I had already done. I had not been using Megatek or MTG for probably about 10 months. I just began using it again and I already feel a difference in my scalp and as we know you need a healthy scalp to grow healthy hair. I was so eager to do something different with my hair that
I didn’t properly prepare my hair for heat I think I still had like oil’s and other creams on my hair before I use the wand thinking that I well I’m not gonna have it out straight I don’t mind at the cream is there because I don’t care if it looks heavy it was definitely stupid and I definitely knew better I was just rushing on my way to a training program I wanted to do something different and I just really wish that I had not done that. I truly believe that if I had not done that my hair would not have been damage so much by braiders. Ultimately it is my fault and I have definitely learned my lesson I have definitely learned patience and that I cannot take shortcuts in styling my hair. I also learned that I need to trim trim trim to prevent damage all along the hair shaft. Technically, I know this but I didn’t like doing it. Smh

I don’t think so about the color. My hair was super strong and healthy even after had been colored. My hair and pictures looks a lot darker than what it is, it’s actually a deep brown so when the colorist lightened my hair, she did not use bleach To get that color. Actually, it was lighter originally. This copper color came about after I began using henna to get that color. Are used a curling wand to do curls on my hair and did not properly prepare my hair and I believe this was the ultimate beginning of the end for the health of my hair. Allowing others to do my hair exacerbated The damage that I had already done. I had not been using Megatek or MTG for probably about 10 months. I just began using it again and I already feel a difference in my scalp and as we know you need a healthy scalp to grow healthy hair. I was so eager to do something different with my hair that
I didn’t properly prepare my hair for heat I think I still had like oil’s and other creams on my hair before I use the wand thinking that I well I’m not gonna have it out straight I don’t mind at the cream is there because I don’t care if it looks heavy it was definitely stupid and I definitely knew better I was just rushing on my way to a training program I wanted to do something different and I just really wish that I had not done that. I truly believe that if I had not done that my hair would not have been damage so much by braiders. Ultimately it is my fault and I have definitely learned my lesson I have definitely learned patience and that I cannot take shortcuts in styling my hair. I also learned that I need to trim trim trim to prevent damage all along the hair shaft. Technically, I know this but I didn’t like doing it. Smh

Experimenting and neglect really does take a toll. That might be okay, though, after length goals are reached. And I don't trust others with my hair. There was a woman who I let flat-iron my hair, and she took it upon herself to start ripping through my hair out of frustration because it was so bulky and long. :angry2: Nope. My hair would be short and see-through if I kept letting others do my hair.

I am sooo frustrated. Who is the dummy that broke off as much hair as she grew in one year??? SMDH. I am sooo mad at myself because my hair would be healthy and waist length right now had I continued doing what I was doing and not doing WnG’s in the winter, allowing other people to do my hair, not trimming when I knew I needed to. I learned so much about what I can and cannot do with my hair this past year. I was pretty alright until about May of 2017 when I decided to curl my hair. I hadn’t used heat other than to DC and occasionally blow dry for a trim. It was the beginning of the trauma for my hair. I Know that my hair was growing but I had not realized how much it was breaking off. Apparently, I was breaking off ½” of hair per month. Yup, that’s right. I was breaking my hair off as fast as it was growing in. I think the initial curl incident weakened my entire hair shaft then going to braiders who were not as gentle and caring for my hair as I am was my ultimate downfall. It is crazy to see where I could have been (Full WL) instead of a struggle APL. Now I am focused on regaining the health of my hair so it will not break off anymore. I am going right back into the PS that got my hair to the healthy state that it was and I am going to be soooo much more selective IF I ever allow someone to do my hair in the future. Mega Tek and MTG helped my hair growth tremendously and helped my scalp get to a strong and healthy state (I get the botanical MTG and mix it with navratna oil and other essential oils and there is no “bacon” smell whatsoever) Of course my vitamins and healthy eating habits were critical as well.

The first pic is before (left) and after (right) my trim. I actually cut more off after I took the pic.

The second split pics are one year apart. Had I not broken my hair off then I would have allll that color still in my hair. Smh. It is safe to say that I learned my lesson. I hadn’t had color in my hair in years. It was definitely helpful in identifying how my hair grows. If I didn’t have the color then I would have assumed that my hair just wasn’t growing, that is not the case, it was just breaking off as fast as it grew! LESSON LEARNED!
@Gr8ness83 , I’m sorry about your setback but at least now you know what to do to prevent it from reoccuring. Your hair grew really fast. I was wondering if I could get details on where you bought your MTG without the bacon smell?
Also is there a YT video of your method of installing faux locs?
TIA

I love the honesty and detail of the original post. Sometimes I want to go off just like that in the random thoughts thread but I just keep it in because it would be an everyday thing. I feel dejected every time I look at my hair because it bores me so damn much it makes me sick. But I'm changing that soon hopefully.

Btw, you have beautiful dewy and clear skin, a nice body and I remember you also have a beautiful face and eyes from the marine collagen thread. Plus your hair is quite long even with the breakage and it seems to grow extremely fast from those pics. Its good you learned your lesson so those things will not happen again. Btw, your hair is still beautiful and long!

@Gr8ness83 , I’m sorry about your setback but at least now you know what to do to prevent it from reoccuring. Your hair grew really fast. I was wondering if I could get details on where you bought your MTG without the bacon smell?
Also is there a YT video of your method of installing faux locs?
TIA
I got the MTG and navratna oil from Amazon. I add essential oils (peppermint, rosemary and tea tree). I’ll post the amazon links when o find them. I don’t know if a YT video to demonstrate how I do my locs. The best way I can explain is to do individual braids with your own and and use a crochet hook to pull some braiding hair through the base. Then twist or braid your hair with the braiding hair. I twist it then switch to braids as I get closer to the bottom. Then take the hair you use to wrap and pull it through the base with a crochet hook and pull it until the majority of the wrapping hair is on one side and there is about 2-3” on the other side. Then hold the 2-3” down along the braid and wrap the braid to form the loc. For goddess locs, o use human hair at the bottom of the base braids. I don’t use heat, fire or nail glue to secure th locs. I make sure the ends of th wrapping hair are tapered and as I get closer I the bottom, I wrap back up the shaft, taking little slices of the hair and entangling them onto the loc. This locs the ends and I never have issues with them coming undone. I prefer myethod over any other that I have seen. I have had locs in for 5 months . I’ll try to record it the next time I do it.

I love the honesty and detail of the original post. Sometimes I want to go off just like that in the random thoughts thread but I just keep it in because it would be an everyday thing. I feel dejected every time I look at my hair because it bores me so damn much it makes me sick. But I'm changing that soon hopefully.

Btw, you have beautiful dewy and clear skin, a nice body and I remember you also have a beautiful face and eyes from the marine collagen thread. Plus your hair is quite long even with the breakage and it seems to grow extremely fast from those pics. Its good you learned your lesson so those things will not happen again. Btw, your hair is still beautiful and long!
Thank you so much! I can honestly say that the marine collagen probably kept me from going bald. Lol.

I am glad that I still have SOME length but I keep dreaming about what COULD have been. Lol.

Thank you so much! I can honestly say that the marine collagen probably kept me from going bald. Lol.

I am glad that I still have SOME length but I keep dreaming about what COULD have been. Lol.

Awwwww......20/20 hindsight always makes us feel like a dummy. But we live and learn. If I had no breakage (or hair cuts) since I went natural 30 years ago my hair would be in the Guinness book of records.. My goal was waist length although I saw no one with my hair type at that length. Also, no internet. I often feel the same way as you but I say..."well I live and learn".

Don't beat yourself up.

Thank you. I am now seeing that I don’t have problems growing my hair, it’s retaining it that was the issue. The first two pics were from October 20 2017, literally 7 months ago. My growth rate is a tad faster the average growth rate but clearly so was the rate that I was breakking off my hair! . I think the braids allowed more of the strands of my hair to be exposed and dried my hair more which also contributed to the breakage. When my hair is in locs, the strands are completely protected. I think I can do cornrows but not individual braids. At least not for an extended period of time.

Attachments

• 332BDE74-865A-4DEC-9253-895BEF2BB7A3.jpeg
    332BDE74-865A-4DEC-9253-895BEF2BB7A3.jpeg
    90.1 KB · Views: 149
  • F03CD71C-5DEC-4A59-8158-187DAFDE29F6.jpeg
    F03CD71C-5DEC-4A59-8158-187DAFDE29F6.jpeg
    88.8 KB · Views: 143
  • 08435F69-EF98-4F18-A33C-435890DF84BF.jpeg
    08435F69-EF98-4F18-A33C-435890DF84BF.jpeg
    622.1 KB · Views: 146
I got the MTG and navratna oil from Amazon. I add essential oils (peppermint, rosemary and tea tree). I’ll post the amazon links when o find them. I don’t know if a YT video to demonstrate how I do my locs. The best way I can explain is to do individual braids with your own and and use a crochet hook to pull some braiding hair through the base. Then twist or braid your hair with the braiding hair. I twist it then switch to braids as I get closer to the bottom. Then take the hair you use to wrap and pull it through the base with a crochet hook and pull it until the majority of the wrapping hair is on one side and there is about 2-3” on the other side. Then hold the 2-3” down along the braid and wrap the braid to form the loc. For goddess locs, o use human hair at the bottom of the base braids. I don’t use heat, fire or nail glue to secure th locs. I make sure the ends of th wrapping hair are tapered and as I get closer I the bottom, I wrap back up the shaft, taking little slices of the hair and entangling them onto the loc. This locs the ends and I never have issues with them coming undone. I prefer myethod over any other that I have seen. I have had locs in for 5 months . I’ll try to record it the next time I do it.
@Gr8ness83 thank you so much for the detailed post. I’ll wait the mtg and navratna oil links. I can’t wait for your video on how you install your locs. What particular brand of hair do you use to wrap your braid?

Thank you. I am now seeing that I don’t have problems growing my hair, it’s retaining it that was the issue. The first two pics were from October 20 2017, literally 7 months ago. My growth rate is a tad faster the average growth rate but clearly so was the rate that I was breakking off my hair! . I think the braids allowed more of the strands of my hair to be exposed and dried my hair more which also contributed to the breakage. When my hair is in locs, the strands are completely protected. I think I can do cornrows but not individual braids. At least not for an extended period of time.

Wow...your hair grows really fast. I’m interested in these faux locs because my granny used to always have her hair threaded which protected her hair similar to faux locs but with African thread and with braiding it prior to wrapping. it kept her hair stretched and her hair was always long! Her hair styles would look something like this

Attachments

• 0251118B-138E-4A1F-95A6-5C2134353C66.jpeg
    0251118B-138E-4A1F-95A6-5C2134353C66.jpeg
    161.1 KB · Views: 142

Stawpp it!!!! I always say "the only thing that could have happened is what did happen." I'd accept the damage and focus on my goal of healthy waist length hair, never looking back. We all have to go through learning lessons the hard way at times. Its not delaying the journey, its part of the journey.

My rapid growth rate can also be contributed to my increase in exercise. I’ll post a pic of Oct-Dec 2017 and you can really see the difference. Also, I started Juicing in February. I am certain that helped as well. I am going to continue to juice, work out, Ps and care for my scalp/new growth. I hope to have miraculous growth this time next year!

I don’t know by I can’t upload the pics from amazon. These are the pics from Oct-Dec. i am certain that my increase in exercise helped speed up growth, along with healthy eating, increase in water intake and the things I was doing as far as piling and scalp
Massages and stuff.

Attachments

• A4591461-1434-405A-A71E-16E4F391AEE3.jpeg
    A4591461-1434-405A-A71E-16E4F391AEE3.jpeg
    284.5 KB · Views: 138
@Gr8ness83 thank you so much for the detailed post. I’ll wait the mtg and navratna oil links. I can’t wait for your video on how you install your locs. What particular brand of hair do you use to wrap your braid?

Disregard. It wouldn’t upload because I had to edit it because my name and city were showing. ‍♀️ God protects babies and fools. LHCF was like “no dummy!” Lol. I use the red navratna oil but the other is another kind that I will try next time.

Attachments

• 3BEDDD16-D56B-4FDA-A58C-365536CDC802.jpeg
    3BEDDD16-D56B-4FDA-A58C-365536CDC802.jpeg
    172.3 KB · Views: 133
  • 4AF7F247-1327-4EC8-91FB-BD1F264F0CE3.jpeg
    4AF7F247-1327-4EC8-91FB-BD1F264F0CE3.jpeg
    218.1 KB · Views: 132
  • A181382E-5F29-436B-9AE8-7142B958703C.jpeg
    A181382E-5F29-436B-9AE8-7142B958703C.jpeg
    215.1 KB · Views: 129
Awwwww......20/20 hindsight always makes us feel like a dummy. But we live and learn. If I had no breakage (or hair cuts) since I went natural 30 years ago my hair would be in the Guinness book of records.. My goal was waist length although I saw no one with my hair type at that length. Also, no internet. I often feel the same way as you but I say..."well I live and learn".

Don't beat yourself up.
I'm reading your post saying "uh hum true" especially at the bolded. We all feel this way...or at least 90% of us do.

I often "Shoulda, Coulda, Woulda" myself to sleep at night (hair and other issues).

The start of things can be rocky as long as we finish well, thats what matters.

@Gr8ness83 Ok I’m about to buy all the products you just suggested, now can u start a thread in the fitness forum and share your expertise there as well? I’m trying to be #bodygoals too :look:
That’s great! Keep us updated on your progress! Sorry that it has taken me so long to respond. I will just message you my progress pics and tips that have helped me and my favorite exercises. Honestly, I prefer just answering questions that people ask vs talking about my body. I can see a clear difference in my size but I have found that I tend to get negative responses when I get excited about physical changes. Like I am bad for being excited that my hard work paid off. I’ll be happy to answer any questions you have.

That’s great! Keep us updated on your progress! Sorry that it has taken me so long to respond. I will just message you my progress pics and tips that have helped me and my favorite exercises. Honestly, I prefer just answering questions that people ask vs talking about my body. I can see a clear difference in my size but I have found that I tend to get negative responses when I get excited about physical changes. Like I am bad for being excited that my hard work paid off. I’ll be happy to answer any questions you have.
@Gr8ness83 can I get that pm too! I’m not sure why people would give you negative responses. You worked hard for it! Smh

@Gr8ness83 can I get a pm too? I'm recovering from a major setback myself and I know that increasing my exercise is helping my growth rate.

Don't beat yourself up. You'll come back from this. I went from BSL to bald in most of my head and I'm still here fighting. WE can do it!!!!

@Gr8ness83 can I get that pm too! I’m not sure why people would give you negative responses. You worked hard for it! Smh
@Gr8ness83 can I get a pm too? I'm recovering from a major setback myself and I know that increasing my exercise is helping my growth rate.

Don't beat yourself up. You'll come back from this. I went from BSL to bald in most of my head and I'm still here fighting. WE can do it!!!!

I will send you both pms as well

Back