Garnier BlowDry Perfector damaged my natural hair :(

Garnier needed to pull this product off the shelf like yesterday. I can't believe this mess is happening. :nono:

OP, I'm so sorry you had this experience. Thank you for being brave and sharing your story.

Its a chemical! Really misleading product. I think you need to neutralize your hair .. It sounds as if the product is still I'm there. Follow up with heavy treatments.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Long Hair Care Forum App

I just think it is horrible that they do not have a warning, they need to market this product for what it truly is.

Garnier Herbashine made my hair fall out at the root. After the fact, I read lots of reviews on makeup alley saying the same thing. I wonder if their products are tainted.
Omg really? I used Herbashine and loved it - I even left it on for a LONG time b/c my hair is low porosity and hard to color.

OP, I'm so sorry this happened to you. That's just ridiculous. I hope Garnier starts listening to consumers.

It a weak thio like product. The cysteine which is the active ingredient acts like a thio product( think jheri curl or curly perms for type 1 or 2 hair) sodium hydroxide in it is making the ph alkaline but it is not the active ingredient nor is the sodium nitrate.

So true.

Sodium Hydroxide is used in a lot of products to balance the ph. It is only used in the formulation of products in trace amounts though....

I am sorry this happened to you though.

Omg really? I used Herbashine and loved it - I even left it on for a LONG time b/c my hair is low porosity and hard to color.

OP, I'm so sorry this happened to you. That's just ridiculous. I hope Garnier starts listening to consumers.

For me the color came out a mess, nothing like the shade on the box. I followed the directions and cowashed several times to make sure I got it all out. When I detangled, my denman was full of hair, I couldn't even see the color of the brush. I put twists in a week later and I found a dime size bald spot at the back of my head.

I'm going to contact the company and see what they say. I'm also curious as to why Bre big chopped right after she got the campaign for the hair color...very curious.

OP, I hope you follow up with the company as well. I know directions always say to patch test, but it doesn't seem right to make a hair product that may or may not make break your hair out.

Also, since the product you used is supposed to last 7 weeks, maybe some of your curls will come back in time. Good Luck.

Last edited:
This is not an attack at all, but what reviews did you read that led you to believe this product was okay to use on African-American hair? Did you see absolutely NO negative reviews, or were they overwhelmingly positive on the site you referenced, or something? I haven't bought it, but I have read lots of things that say it is absolutely not recommended for tightly curled or kinky hair, and that's just from casual reading.

I hope your hair recovers quickly.

I'm so sorry. This is sad. But we all know Garnier's moto on "Frizz" and naps. They don't like our type of hair. I stopped using them after that prejudice campaign they had a while back.

I hope your hair regains its health.

I'm sorry to read about your hair, I hope it gets better with time. I hate garnier products they do absolutely nothing for my hair. I still have their ceramide conditioner sitting in my closet.

:bighug:

:nono: OP I am so sorry that this happened to you. :bighug:

They should be ashamed of themselves. You know they're watching these hair boards. I would tell everyone that would listen.

I have used Garnier blow dry perfector with very NICE results. Im sorry you have had this experience, I always do strand test before applying risky products. I have pictures of my results in my album

OMG! I am so sorry this happened. Keep the ingredient list of that product. You may have had an allergic reaction. I would not buy any products that contain the ingredient that you haven't already been using from the list.... But I join with Whimsy, Garnier products will not be purchased by me.

Back