Highlights after Bigen

Is this possible? Has anyone gotten highlights after using Bigen ? I'm going to use the Bigen Oriental Black tomorrow, but I would like to get highlights in the summer.

You're not going to be able to put highlights on top of that black. They might be able to strip it out of your hair to get the dye to take but I wouldn't do it. It's too many processes to get the black out then bleach/highlight your hair on top of that. It could make your hair fall out. Most people who use the Bigen have to grow it out.

Bigen is highly dangerous, with disturbing PPD levels.

It "stains" the hair cuticle instead of opening it and inserting another pigment, after removing the previous.

In short....

IT WON'T COME OFF.

A professional tried to lighten my hair after I used Bigen A YEAR PRIOR!

It didn't take. My roots were YELLOW. She used BLEACH and nothing affected the Bigen parts. She toned it down (at the roots) for me to medium brown.

I thought nothing had happened to the Bigen hair. Months later, I mixed up a conditioner with lime juice and it apparently had a slight "stain removal" effect because I was shocked to see spots of medium brown!

The hair HAD processed, but the black "stain" on the cuticle had kept it from being visible.

If you want highlights, IMHO, skip the Bigen.

I've reviewed two black dyes, one by Feria and Clairol and I'll be putting up a Garnier review soon. Black is hard to do with highlights, but work with something that can actually be removed. That way its a matter of whether your hair can take it vs. you-gotta-cut-it-off.

Bigen is a great product if you want permanent dark hair, but it leaves ya with no options. I'm currently growing it out as we speak. Switching back to my natural color (dark brown) and plan to get highlights, whenever I finally get this black off. It's going to take years. :(

Back