High Quality Products Versus the Cheap Stuff

Country gal

I am reading Shamboosie's book on hair care. Little bits is letting me borrow it. He stresses paying the extra dollars for the more expensive brand. He believes that the higher end stuff will have better quality ingredients. What is your opinion? Does higher price mean it is a better product?

No, it does not, at least not for me. I prefer cheaper stuff because if it doesn't work for my hair, I won't lose sleep over it. Everybody's hair is different, and my hair is accepting of stuff that doesn't cost 20 bucks a jar.
laugh.gif

No not to me, Ive tried more expensive products and I really cant tell the difference between that and my cheaper products. Also, Im getting excellent results with cheaper products (vo5, suave, cholesterol) so Im not in a rush to pay over 20 dollars for a conditoner. None of my hair products are over 7.00
smile.gif
Maybe people who have damaged hair might benefit from the more expensive products vs peoples whose hair is not damaged?
confused.gif

I don't think that a higher price always means better. Some products, such as creams that are cheap have worked well on my hair (profectiv creams). I do think you have to spend more for a quality shampoo. Alot of cheap shampoos contain SLS/ALS (which strips my hair down to the cortex). As far as creams/conditioners, yeah I pay for the cheap stuff .

[ QUOTE ]
ayeshia said:
None of my hair products are over 7.00

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here!
clap.gif
It's all a matter of experimentation.

I agree that some cheaper products are good. But overall, for my hair, I'm a bit a of a product snob.
crazy.gif

I do notice a difference when I use salon quality products.

If I didn't though, I'd use cheaper ones.
smile.gif

LOL @ little bits!

[ QUOTE ]
sbaker said:
What is your opinion? Does higher price mean it is a better product?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not always but overall YES that has been my experience anyway. I started using the expensive stuff after reading andre walkers book and I immediately noticed a big difference. Every now and then I look for cheaper products to save money but I end up spending more money cos I will always go back to a salon brand. In my opinion they last longer cos they are more concentrated and the conditioners are a lot more moisturising. If you shop around you can usually get some good deals.

hair 3c

I kind of agree with Shamboosie on this. That is not to say that everything not sold in a salon or department store is junk.

Hmmm, I think it actually has more to do with ingredients. It seems that higher priced products have better ingredients. I think it's probably more important to buy an expensive shampoo than an expensive conditioner b/c of the ingredients and how harsh drugstore shampoos can be. Still, there is a brand, Nature's Gate, that is relatively inexpensive (3.99-5.99 depending where you go) and the shampoo is very gentle and has good ingredients. I really love those V05, Pantene, and some Suave conditioners but I will never use the shampoos!

I tend to have better luck with higher end products, but there are some great lower-end products out there, too!

Someone's disillusioned and jaded. Furthermore I am cheap, just like my daddy.

All my wonder products detangle equally badly 6 weeks post touchup. I just detangle with my fingers these days. The ringlets down style gets the same # of compliments whether I sprayed in Biolage leave in tonic ($$$) or Sta-Sof-Fro ($).

I'll make an exception for some Rusk, though. Rusk 60 Second Revive is a very lovin' thang.

From my experience I tend to agree that the salon quality deliver better results. I agree with hairlove that they contain more quality ingrediants. The only cheaper shampoo and conditoner I like are Jason Naturals Sea Kelp(3.99), and the ingredients are wonderful.

I've had better luck with more expensive products when it comes to most shampoos and conditioners. But other items that I use like Sta Sof Fro or Suave Tropical Coconut conditioner are cheaper and staples in my routine.

I'm just breaking in here to say that those pictures of "Rudy" are so cute. She really grew up to be such a beautiful young woman. Love the hair as well.

Oh, and I believe that higher quality hair products are "better" for my hair . . . though I do like Pantene R&N conditioner.

[ QUOTE ]
LABETT said:
Some cheap products a just as effective as expensive ones
example SURGE.
clap.gif
Need I say more.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes that's true
smile.gif

I tend to favour more expensive products just because I think they have better ingredients. Even when they have the same ingredients, the more expensive one will have better quality. Eg, Kellogs corn flakes and store brand corn flakes could have the same ingredients, but the Kellogs could taste better and have better nutritional value. However, there exceptions eg Profectiv, Jasons, which are really great but cheap and Humecto, which is expensive but not goof IMO.

I think I'm gonna have to say that the salon quality products are the winner. Even when I think about all the stylists that I have, the ones that used the cheap stuff were the ones that damaged my hair. But the good ones I had only used Dudley's, Paul Mitchell, Design Essentials, Mizani, etc. Now I can tell the difference. I've also noticed that if I go to the salon regularly or use the salon products regularly, when I go back to the cheap stuff I am not pleased with the results.

The only cheaper products I can get away with are setting lotions (i use elasta qp sometimes) and john frieda's frizz ease, which is still kind of pricey. so i feel like you may spend a lot of money now, but you end up saving in the long run by keeping your hair healthy.

I don't think that a higher price always means a better product. However, I do agree with the idea that salon products do tend to have better ingredients on the whole. I use Lustrasilk cholesterol which is super cheap but once I discovered the Kera Care and Design Essentials lines, there was no turning back from salon quality products! :-)

I use the generic versions of Nexxus. So I feel it's like a compromise. NOTHING works better on my hair than their generic version of Humectress.

I like salon quality products, I just feel they work better on my hair. I am a PJ and have used alot of drugstore lines that are not really made for black hair. Once I was able to find Keracare, Mizani, etc. online, I was hooked. I do think there are some lower priced items that work very well (Surge, Kemi Oyl, etc.) but overall I prefer salon quality.

There are some lower priced items that I like (setting lotion, essential oils, etc.) but I prefer higher end shampoos and conditioners.

What I have personally noticed is that higher quality products tend to deliver what they preach. For example I noticed significant change in the overall health of my hair using products such as Nexxus and such as opposed to using cheap products that seemed to only coat the hair and not really deliver. Yet I really love Dominican conditioners and the jars run about $7 dollars or so. Im really liking the motions PROFESSIONAL products right now. Im using the oil moisturizer formula shampoo and conditioner, theyre not that expensive and its really good.
Anyhoot, Im always looking for something better. So I shop at stores like Harmons or Sally's in which I use something, I dont like it. I bring it Right back, that way I dont get mad if something doesnt work. I just go right back out and get something else. As someone thats into the field of advertising and sales. The consumer ALWAYS has the upper hand. Shop smart Ladies!!

i think it really depends on your hair. personally salon products work better for me because my hair is extremely thick. i have to have products that are thick and really penetrate into my hair. i think with more expensive products they normally have better ingredients and they have a purpose.
not that cheaper brands don't have a purpose, but salon brands are a little more detailed. there are so many different kinds of products to chose from.

[ QUOTE ]
So I shop at stores like Harmons or Sally's in which I use something, I dont like it. I bring it Right back, that way I dont get mad if something doesnt work. I just go right back out and get something else. As someone thats into the field of advertising and sales. The consumer ALWAYS has the upper hand. Shop smart Ladies!!

[/ QUOTE ]

That is a very good way to shop. I have a crapload of products that I purchased and did not like but because I bought most from the drugstore or Asian BSS, I wasn't able to return them. Thanks for the tip.

Candycane

[ QUOTE ]
buffalosoldier said:
[ QUOTE ]
sbaker said:
What is your opinion? Does higher price mean it is a better product?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not always but overall YES that has been my experience anyway. I started using the expensive stuff after reading andre walkers book and I immediately noticed a big difference. Every now and then I look for cheaper products to save money but I end up spending more money cos I will always go back to a salon brand. In my opinion they last longer cos they are more concentrated and the conditioners are a lot more moisturising. If you shop around you can usually get some good deals.

hair 3c

[/ QUOTE ]

Cosigning. I have Andre Walkers book and for me I would say my hair prefers the high end products. My hair tend to like products with some natural ingredients. But I just think it is a matter of what your hair likes. Now I do love my CON shampoo - for me it detangles like no other.

Back