hi and questions about japanese straight perm

yokoyokogirl

Hi everyone! I'm new here and I live in Japan. (I'm an English teacher here) First, I want to say I love reading all the posts on this site and seeing everyone's beautiful hair!

Now I need major hair advice.

I'm half Mexican/Black and have super thick and curly natural hair that's almost to my shoulders...I've never had a relaxer, only colored my hair every color in the book. (I have stopped coloring my hair and now am just letting it grow out.) When I was a kid my mom did the good old fashioned press off the stove or just braided my hair with coconut oil. I really love straight flat hair!

Recently I've gotten tired of flat ironing my hair only for it to last a day or two. I have the Maxiglide, which works kinda OK. I have a Chi that doesn't do much and I'm not sure if I want to put out more money for an iron that doesn't really give me flat and straight results.

Plus I'm not ready to commit to a relaxer but I have a few friends here who have gotten the Japanese straight perm and rave about it. Most of these friends are half-Black/Japanese, so their hair texture is similar to mine. But I am worried about getting it done and being stuck with it or having my hair fall out.

Does anyone know how this perm works or anyone that has done it?

I'm going to try and upload pictures so you all can see my hair. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
URL]
August 2007 (61).jpg

curly hair photo (2).jpg
(One is my natural curly hair and the other is after I flat iron it)

I know nothing about the japanese system, but I've heard that it is quite similar to the Brazilian keratin treatment, so you may need to try the '' Search'' button on that subject, that will give you an idea. Off topic: I did not know there were some many mixed black japanese in Japan. Wow....

Good luck :)

Thanks for the info. Maybe there aren't that many mixed girls in Japan, I might just happen to run into them. Every time I see a Black girl..or someone who doesn't look Japanese I introduce myself...maybe that's weird, but I guess I'm just surprised to meet other ppl like me here!

My coworker got this perm a few months ago. While she is not of mixed heritage, she had very curly hair. She says that she loves the perm and her hair is silky straight. She said she doesn't have any breakage either.

Just remember, its permanent - so if u like switching up and being curly some days, it will be pretty difficult till it grows out. and the upkeep is expensive - at least in NYC.

Welcome to our forum! I hope that you open a fotki account so that we can track your progress that you will have :-)

Thanks for replying and welcoming me! I have so much catching up to do as there are 323287478347384 posts on here I want to read!

I just opened a Fotki account and added the link in my signature. (Hopefully you can see it) I plan to start posting some more hair photos soon.

As for the Japanese perm price, here in Japan it it dirt cheap. One of my friends gets it every 6 months for 10,000 yen or about $95. That's pretty good to me, considering a wash, blow, and flat iron at the salon here costs about $40. So if I can cut down on going there every other week, that would be good.

My coworker got this perm a few months ago. While she is not of mixed heritage, she had very curly hair. She says that she loves the perm and her hair is silky straight. She said she doesn't have any breakage either.

Do you think your coworker has the same type of hair as mine? I'd hate to ask you so many questions about her, but is it true that you can just wash and go? No blowdry or flatiron needed? (Sounds too good to be true to me, but my friends here say they do that)
Thanks!

I have a dumb question: why do the Japaneses need to straighten their hair. I thought they were born with very straight hair. Inquiring minds :) ? :) ? :) ?

Actually it's a good question. My hair stylist (Japanese chick trained in LA and ATL) told me that a lot of Japanese ppl don't have straight hair. Their hair is wavy or super thick and that's why they get a straight perm. Crazy huh? My coworker has super thick hair and until she got a straight perm, she said her hair was unmanageable. My bf, when he grows his hair out, has straight hair on top and then the sides are curly. I was suprised to find that a lot of Japanese people flat iron their hair too--there are a million flat irons here and straight perms are offered in almost every salon.

Check out the dancehall (Jamaican) scene in Japan. There might be alot of mixed Black chicks around that could help you.

The only thing I'd say against this perm is what happens if you have to leave Japan for some reason, will you be able to find the same process elsewhere?

OK...read this from link above ^^^^:
Q: What kind of hair is suitable for Japanese Hair Straightening?

A: Most hair types except African, as the hair is too fragile and cannot withstand the heat.

So if your (OP) hair inclines more to the Latino side, this might be for you...African, forget it.

Last edited:
Yes but most of the women of color don't go to the military base salon, as the one Black girl there has messed up many ppls hair...and the rest are not geared towards Black women.

I know one lady who's husband is military and she does hair in her house. I went to her a couple times but always left miserable. She does a fire press, old style with a hot comb, but she always burns me and uses way too much pressing oil. Literally after, my bf says it looks like an oil slicks on my head and doesn't want to touch my hair. She also has cut my hair--not trimmed--w/o asking. Like she just starts and then its too late. She says it's a trim but after inches and inches are on the floor. She's a super sweet lady, but I don't like my hair afterwards.

The other girl I know is Japanese and she does an awesome job, but said she's never done a texturizer-so I'm sure she might not know what a texlax is. But her salon's in Tokyo (about 1.5 hrs by train for me) and she's always booked. Although she does an amazing job with a flat iron and little product--I have that soft bouncy hair afterwards..like the Dominican salon back home!

So I recently tried doing it myself. My mom brought a ton of Salerm stuff when she came over and I use that, after washing with Kerastase Oleo Relax Shampoo and Cond. Then I let it air dry overnight in braids, and next day flat iron with a Maxiglide. The results are ok, but I'd like to have flatter and less thick hair. Plus not having to spend 3 hrs or drying overnight would be good too.

I just wanted to stop in and welcome you to LHCF! We are glad to have you here. This thread is very informative.

Last edited:
Thanks a bunch! I can't even remember how I found this site, but I'm so glad I joined!!! It's 3:30 am here in Japan and I am up reading all these informational posts about products, aruvedya, etc!!! (Lucky for me I don't have to work tomorrow!):grin:

I love this forum! I have never even been to Japan but I'm so proud to see all our in the know sistas hooking her up with spots to go and people to contact.

LHCF is truly worldwide baby!

I was going to do this a couple of months ago. You MUST have virgin hair, no color and no chemicals. The stylist kept stressing me eventhough my last relaxer was in may 05. I have had quite a few friends that have had it done. Two Indian, spanish, white and Jewish. All had very thick hair...and 2 had what they call kinky hair. For the most part all of them wash and let their hair air dry (it does dry pin straight). The Jewish friend washes and blow dry's her hair once a week. That's my limited knowledge of it good luck.

FYI I know a place in NY that will do it for free after a consultation. They look for hair models.

Do you think your coworker has the same type of hair as mine? I'd hate to ask you so many questions about her, but is it true that you can just wash and go? No blowdry or flatiron needed? (Sounds too good to be true to me, but my friends here say they do that)
Thanks!

No problem with the questions! I just asked my cowroker. She said she doesn't blowdry or flatiron. She said when the hair gets wet it dries straight! It does seem too good to be true but had I not heard it from her mouth I wouldn't believe it either. She said its the thermal reconditioning.
From the pic in your siggy you guys seem to have the same hair type!

Thanks for all the info!!
Yes Japan is awesome...there aren't that many women of color over here, but that doesn't mean Japan doesn't want us!
I love how it is sooooo safe here. (It's the #5 safest country in the world) No guns, no terrorism, and very rare that there's violence. I can drink with the girls, then walk home alone in the dark and be totally fine. But there are drawbacks...I miss my family, my car back home, my dog, my friends, Popeye's chicken, clothes that fit (size 8 is about as big as it gets here), and Target!

Thanks for all the info!!
Yes Japan is awesome...there aren't that many women of color over here, but that doesn't mean Japan doesn't want us!
I love how it is sooooo safe here. (It's the #5 safest country in the world) No guns, no terrorism, and very rare that there's violence. I can drink with the girls, then walk home alone in the dark and be totally fine. But there are drawbacks...I miss my family, my car back home, my dog, my friends, Popeye's chicken, clothes that fit (size 8 is about as big as it gets here), and Target!

WTH:wallbash:

Really tall ppl not so many, or they will be mad tall and skinny..Oh Japan has fat ppl and every time I see one I ask where they shop! But on the real, most women here are size 8 or under. SERIOUSLY. Look at my blog and my coworkers...I'm the fattest at a size 16. I order all my clothes online too. But Japanese ppl walk everywhere, eat super small portions and a lot of fish/rice/veggies. I'm starting to get back into that diet and away from fried fish--which I love--and cheese. I've already lost 5lbs in a week eating grilled salmon and veggies, walking to the store instead of driving, and playing Wii Fit!

Thanks for the info. Maybe there aren't that many mixed girls in Japan, I might just happen to run into them. Every time I see a Black girl..or someone who doesn't look Japanese I introduce myself...maybe that's weird, but I guess I'm just surprised to meet other ppl like me here!

I dont think its any more or less gentle than a relaxer:ohwell:. They are both chemical services so you are going to experience damage and its up to you to manage it. I used it on about 3 clients (caucasian..indian) and its about a 3 hour process and costs alot more than a relaxer. Imo I would just go with a relaxer.

If you have 4a/b hair I would sya no b/c that hair tyype is too fragile to handle it. First you have to put the chemical on it, smooth the hair downward, and let it process for up to 50 min. Then you have to take really tiny sections of hair and flat iron it. Once that is done then neutralizer is put on, the hair is rinsed, and a post conditioning treatment is used.

In my personal opinion its not worth the time or the money but hey its up to you. . :yep:

Just remember, its permanent - so if u like switching up and being curly some days, it will be pretty difficult till it grows out. and the upkeep is expensive - at least in NYC.

Its expensive everywhere :yep:

When a stylists spends 3+ hours performing that chem service expect to pay around $300 to $400 and many times more esp if you live in a huge city. Imagine paying that 2-4 times a year :nono:

Welcome to the forum,

I just returned from Japan (Haneda) on last Sunday, and although it was my second visit I wished I knew someone who lived there.

My friend Shizue that thick hair that you are talking about and when she did the Japanese straightener her hair looked fabulous!

I dont see her that much since she quit the job, I will email her and see what she says.
I think it cost her $300 plus, if I remember correctly.

Last edited:
Back