hi and questions about japanese straight perm

I'm over here crying lol.........I am dying to go live in Japan....even a vist...but it's hard scheduling that around DS and DH. You are sooooo lucky OP.

Thanks for replying and welcoming me! I have so much catching up to do as there are 323287478347384 posts on here I want to read!

I just opened a Fotki account and added the link in my signature. (Hopefully you can see it) I plan to start posting some more hair photos soon.

As for the Japanese perm price, here in Japan it it dirt cheap. One of my friends gets it every 6 months for 10,000 yen or about $95. That's pretty good to me, considering a wash, blow, and flat iron at the salon here costs about $40. So if I can cut down on going there every other week, that would be good.

Thats a pretty good price. If you feel comfortable doing it then do it and you can find a good stylist then do it, but make sure that you take good care of your hair after the perm.:yep:

One of my friends had it done in India. She is E. Indian and has thick curls prone to frizziness. She loved it. Back when we were kids the longest she would grow it is around apl-bsl, most of the time it was shoulder length. Since she got the perm, it has grown to waist length. It looks absolutely beautiful & she doesn't regret a thing.

Thanks for the replies.

Yes in Japan, the straight perm is way cheaper than the States. I plan to stay here 2-3 more years (longer if the bf asks me...hehe) but I think I could deal with paying $100-150 every 6 months.
Then again, if I can get similar results from a texlax every 3-4 months for significantly less, I would do that too.

Problem is finding someone who knows exactly what they are doing over here. My current (when I can get an appt.) stylist in Tokyo knows black hair pretty well, but she admitted she has never done a texturizer (or texlax) so that made me ask more. She has done a ton of straight perms and a few black ppl in her photo album, but they all looked mixed ethnicity.

So now I'm not sure what to do...but I know I can't go another summer in my hot-a** school with just a flat iron!! My hair goes in straight and halfway through the day I have a curly fro!!!

I remember reading in a book somewhere that those types of perms are thios and are not made for our fragile type 4 hair no matter how thick. It was a section in the book regarding traveling overseas and I distinctly remember it saying don't do it. To try to get your hair done before going if you're going to be there for an extended period of time. I'll look at home and see if I can find the book and exact passage.

When my hair was at it's longest I had a Bio Ionic thermal relaxer and it was the healthiest it had ever been. I think that it may be the same or pretty darn close to the thio or Japanese relaxing system. A thermal relaxer to be exact. After having it done for about two years I started doing it myself. It is not hard, just time consuming. I was able to get everything (professional products) on ebay. Oh, I have 3c/4a hair too.

HTH

Thanks for all the info ladies! I really appreciate it...right now I'm debating btw the straight perm or a texlax...much much appreciated though!:grin:

Back