Hey ya'll I'm new!!! someone asked me a funny question!

Milkyway

Actually I'm not, I'm been lurking this forum for 10 months now but this is my first post!!! I decided to go natural since May and asked for a trim a got a haircut 3 weeks ago (awful hairsalon experience). So now I have almost 4 inches of VERY curly natural on my entire head and 2 inches of relaxed hair on top. Well anyways, one of my co-workers asked me today:

HER: "Did you cut your hair?"
Me: "Yes I did, I'm trying to grow my natural hair."
HER: "Why would you like to have dread locks?
Don't you like brushing your hair?"
ME SHOCKED: "NO, no, no! I trying to have a small afro"
Then she looks at me like I'm crazy, and shakes her head.

I kinda got mad but then I realized stuff like this are going to happen often because they just don't understand or don't know anything about this kind of hair. What do you guys think?

Yeah girl people are crazy and be on the lookout for the haters next, lol. Welcome to the board glad you decided to join. Q

Hello :wave: People like that really bug me. I'm sure when they see how long, thick, healthy, and lovely your natural hair will be in a couple of months, she won't be shaking here head then.

But anyway, welcome to the "land of posting"; make sure this isn't your first and last post! ;)

hello I'm neww too ..been lurking about 9 months...and I did the big chop in Oct. and I am getting the crazy questions too...I went from thin shedding shoulder length to bald natural and I am soo happy...all and all I think the reaction has been about half and half....

foxxymami said:
Hello :wave: People like that really bug me. I'm sure when they see how long, thick, healthy, and lovely your natural hair will be in a couple of months, she won't be shaking here head then.

But anyway, welcome to the "land of posting"; make sure this isn't your first and last post! ;)

TRUST me---the bolded part above hit it RIGHT ON THE NAIL. Haters now....admirers later!

foxxymami said:

ITA. I remember when I did the BC, so many people were treating me differently. They would make little comments like "she must be gay" or "doesn't she know natural hair aint cute". Anyway, since my hair has been growing out these same people are asking me questions on hair care. So now they are like "your hair has grown so much" and "wow, your hair is thick".

Welcome to the board and try to reframe such conversations to make them TEACHABLE MOMENTS. I think in such situations, folks are speaking from a place of ignorance, not malice.

Welcome to the board!!

I had a similar experience when I was going natural 4.5 years ago. I had thick shoulder length relaxed hair that I wore straight with a slight bump. When I told a coworker that I was going to cut my hair and wear it natural, she told me that I wouldn't look professional. I worked for a financial service company at the time. She told me that I was going to look like a little girl. Maybe she was expecting me to come in with two ponytails with those big knockers on the ends.

When I came in after the BC, my hair was in fly, two strand twists that were about 2.5 inches long and shining. She had to take her words back.

The proof of the pudding is in the eating. As your hair grows long and strong, she too, will have to take her words back.

HHG!!

Hi! I'm also new. I've been stalking the site for a while, and am so warmend to see all the love and positive energy everyone spreads here, so I finally decided to join in!

I get negitivity like that all the time over my 4b, super kinky natural hair, from my aunts and cousins. "What are you doing with your hair?!", "You need to do something about that hair!" Why do I have to do anything? It grows out of my head this way?!

There are many forms of beauty. Relaxed hair is beautiful. Dread and braids and twists are beautiful. And just sittin on top of your head in a little (hopefully someday soon, big) curly 'fro is beautiful too!

But truth be told, I'm very sensitive, so getting that kind of ignorance from my own family is pretty upsetting. But I love my hair, so they can kiss my butt!

Back