Here's a new problem

FluffyRed

Fine hair + low mani regimen + relaxer stretching + super nappy texture = HELLA KNOTS!!!

These knots consist of multiple shed hairs with nappy roots - the nappy roots tangle together on a hair that is NOT SHED!!! Maybe I need to up the mani a little? Once I thought I had this little curl at my nape. It was so soft and well conditioned... why did i look in the back of my head and it was a THREE INCH DREADLOCK???

Anyone else ever had this trouble?

The low mani is working, I am retaining length. But I am pulling the she hairs out when I see them, and they have the root bulb.

PS - Dumb blond reconstructor mixed 1:2 with fake nexxus humectress, applied like a relaxer, DC with heat cap and then rinsed out = :lick::lick::lick:

OMG!!! I just died laughing and almost crying :lachen:. Yes, ABSOLUTELY!!! (Warning this reply is a bit long. Sorry.)

The same happened to me! :yep: Reason is because I DO NOT have loose coils (sp?) like Freddie from A Different World - mine are uber tight coils (like the tiniest, tightest curl I've ever seen). Now in my opinion it's beautiful and though it's tricky to manage I'm not hating on it. However, I personally had to come to terms with my hair texture - 4b/c - and it just needs to be taken care of differently. It's a process of elimination trying to figure out what advice on the boards work for what type of hair.

For instance I can't do low mani - I have no choice but to comb every 2 days (at least). My process: I moisturize and seal (NTM Silk Daily & Coconut Oil) and detangle section by section every 2nd night. Otherwise it's tangle city. (RANT: Truthfully, I still haven't figured out how to rid myself of the knots completely. I think it's because my hair was so overprocessed that there's virtually no weight to my relaxed hair hence the texture difference is just too much. My goal was to transition but now I think I'll have to do so in steps in order to avoid this kind of knotting and loss of hair - I think i will texlax my way to a thicker head of hair and then transition.)

As for your stretching, perhaps you should stretch for a shorter period of time and try the section by section moisture & detangle every 2 days. Also, perhaps loosening the curl pattern would help while you're stretching so it will knot less:
- S-Curl is great for softening the NG
- Coconut Milk & Lime mixture (check the recipe threads) also loosens the coil.

Hope that helped. Sorry for the loooong response. I was just complaining about my knots yesterday!! I LOVE this board, there's always someone going through the same thing you are. Good Luck!!

I think it's because my hair was so overprocessed that there's virtually no weight to my relaxed hair hence the texture difference is just too much. My goal was to transition but now I think I'll have to do so in steps in order to avoid this kind of knotting and loss of hair - I think i will texlax my way to a thicker head of hair and then transition.)

As for your stretching, perhaps you should stretch for a shorter period of time and try the section by section moisture & detangle every 2 days.

THANKS for responding!

Yeah a three inch dreadlock would imply that I am successfully doing a low mani regimen, huh? :lachen: My reaction was as if I saw a bug caught in my hair!!! UGH!!! I've been petting this thing?

I will try the detangling. I have the nappiest hair ever seen, too!

The "no weight" to relaxed hair - that's how mine is - are you a fine-haired sista?

You may have to start atleast finger combing every few days, especially when you are stretching. I think after 10 wks. it's a must to atleast finger comb to get the shed hairs out to prevent them from wrapping around your length especially b4 shampooing.

I also have really tight coils. I stretched for 3.5 months I think (was really trying to transition). I lost a WHOLE lot of hair every week detangling, it was frightening. I wear my hair under weave for a week and don't comb it. The week after I relaxed when I combed my hair to rebraid it, I lost maybe 15 hairs.

I shed WAY less when I'm one texture. My coils are too tight to straddle the fence. My theory also is that people maybe in the 3's or 2's can stretch longer than people in the 4's b/c there isn't much difference between their NG and relaxed hair as there is with us.

I'm come to terms with the fact that stretching isn't for me. I will be getting my relaxer on schedule every 10 weeks from now on.

HTH.

OMG!!! I just died laughing and almost crying :lachen:. Yes, ABSOLUTELY!!! (Warning this reply is a bit long. Sorry.)

The same happened to me! :yep: Reason is because I DO NOT have loose coils (sp?) like Freddie from A Different World - mine are uber tight coils (like the tiniest, tightest curl I've ever seen). Now in my opinion it's beautiful and though it's tricky to manage I'm not hating on it. However, I personally had to come to terms with my hair texture - 4b/c - and it just needs to be taken care of differently. It's a process of elimination trying to figure out what advice on the boards work for what type of hair.

For instance I can't do low mani - I have no choice but to comb every 2 days (at least). My process: I moisturize and seal (NTM Silk Daily & Coconut Oil) and detangle section by section every 2nd night. Otherwise it's tangle city. (RANT: Truthfully, I still haven't figured out how to rid myself of the knots completely. I think it's because my hair was so overprocessed that there's virtually no weight to my relaxed hair hence the texture difference is just too much. My goal was to transition but now I think I'll have to do so in steps in order to avoid this kind of knotting and loss of hair - I think i will texlax my way to a thicker head of hair and then transition.)

As for your stretching, perhaps you should stretch for a shorter period of time and try the section by section moisture & detangle every 2 days. Also, perhaps loosening the curl pattern would help while you're stretching so it will knot less:
- S-Curl is great for softening the NG
- Coconut Milk & Lime mixture (check the recipe threads) also loosens the coil.

Hope that helped. Sorry for the loooong response. I was just complaining about my knots yesterday!! I LOVE this board, there's always someone going through the same thing you are. Good Luck!!

I agree with all of this. I am a transitioning 4b and I CANNOT do low mani. I actually comb my hair in small sections everyday to rid myself of any shed hairs. I have not seen many knots since doing this. Now when I tried to do low mani I had the most knots ever. I can only comb my hair now without problems because I've actually found products that keep my hair detangled even when dry(Joico and Lacio) otherwise:nono:

Like Lovlee said, it may work for loose coiled girls but I think the tightly coiled girls need focus on preventative measures.

I have fine hair and I normally stretch for 4-5 months at a time and only comb with a comb on wash days. However, I finger comb nightly after lightly moisturizing and or oiling. This helps me to get rid of shed hairs, sometimes I still get them pesky knots, but it's not as often now.

Well, i'm just going to put it out there that perhaps stretching is not for you. Everyone is different, and esp with fine hair too much knotting/tangling etc can lead to breakage and thus setbacks.

But i have a suggestion. Maybe you should consider doing ponytail sets (even if you dont want to put rollers on the ends) so that you can straighten out your new growth. That way, you do most of your detangling on wash day, and then your new growth should be pretty manageable after that.

You may have to start atleast finger combing every few days, especially when you are stretching.
I will be on that right now!

I shed WAY less when I'm one texture. My coils are too tight to straddle the fence. My theory also is that people maybe in the 3's or 2's can stretch longer than people in the 4's b/c there isn't much difference between their NG and relaxed hair as there is with us.

I'm come to terms with the fact that stretching isn't for me. I will be getting my relaxer on schedule every 10 weeks from now on.

HTH.
ITA with the bold. My coils are definitely on the supertight side. This is my first attempt at a 12 week stretch. I'm open to cutting it off at ten weeks. Possibly 12 week stretching is not for me

Now when I tried to do low mani I had the most knots ever. :nono:

Like Lovlee said, it may work for loose coiled girls but I think the tightly coiled girls need focus on preventative measures.

ITA - I can cut down on stretching and protect hair from overlapping with the use of vaseline while relaxing.

Well, i'm just going to put it out there that perhaps stretching is not for you. Everyone is different, and esp with fine hair too much knotting/tangling etc can lead to breakage and thus setbacks.

But i have a suggestion. Maybe you should consider doing ponytail sets (even if you dont want to put rollers on the ends) so that you can straighten out your new growth.
ITA with the bold. On the ponytail sets, rubber bands will break my hair off (too fine) But I use the scarf method

I was thinking this, and I REALLY wanted to say it...but on this board saying that might get you :hammer: :spank: :bat: :buttkick:

:lachen:

No worries. I'm open to all suggestions.

thanks to all who contributed.

I will try fingercombing immediately, and if I cannot prevent/get rid of these knots (I only have three, actually) I will stop the stretching immediately. But I will be touching SL at the next relaxer. WHOO HOO

f96a8104657220e2dbe210c68864307a.jpg

http://www.victorycanter.com/Cowboy-Magic-Detangler-Shine-16-Ounces-p-20846.html

26.50 when you add shipping

Get you some girl! I love this stuff, I lose ALOT less hair. Massage it right into your NG and comb or brush it through your hair every few days. You'll be fine. I'm 6 months post and I use it on wash day and in between if I need to comb my hair.

I was doing what you're doing now during my last touch-up. I was doing no to low mani after I was 5 weeks post, which was hell when I finally got my hair relaxed. I wasn't combing my roots at all the last 2 to 3 weeks thinking that I would have better growth that way. Boy, I sure learned my lesson, now I comb my roots everyday with tons of moistuizer on it first. And my NG is surly thinking me for it. Just use a liquid moisturizer and spray your NG until its damp, then just take a wide tooth comb and comb them out and your NG will feel like butta!

Wow! I just did most of my detangling iper instructions above.
How 'bout i had knots in every square inch of hair!!!

But I did not lose/break any hair that had not been shed in the process.
I am going to add some s-curl to finish detangling.

Maybe I caught this early enough that I can finish the 12 week stretch. We'll see.

Thanks again to ALL who contributed!

Welccome to my world. I have fine strands with super dense hair, 4b, low mani, lots of new growth. Recipe for knots and tangles. It's a dilemma for me because I know lots of my retention is due to low mani - my strands are so dang fragile that I'm scared to comb everyday. Even finger combing daily does not work for me. I have to comb through thoroughly at least twice a week with a medium tooth comb.

I was thinking this, and I REALLY wanted to say it...but on this board saying that might get you :hammer: :spank: :bat: :buttkick:
Naaah...don't think so. People say this aaaall the time. I think most ladies realise that everybody's hair is different. There is no gospel on this board, except maybe protein-moisture balance and differentiating retention from growth.

Last edited:
wowsers! I added the S-curl, and all of a sudden, my hair is snapping when trying to detangle.

I do better with fingering out the tangles without scurl and then spraying it.

That's good information to have, learning what works.

Thinking about the real benefits of low-mani and stretching...

I have gotten to SL without stretching relaxers AND without protecting ends while relaxing. So, maybe just 10-week stretches and protecting ends can help me achieve the APL goal, and I could still do Low mani. These knots are really not soooo bad to take out, just startled me. They seemed to be brought on by the manipulation during shampooing. (I rarely do anything other than cowash and Baking soda/water to clarify)

Cuz low mani AND stretching has me looking pretty gangsta these days. A walking experiment.

Last edited:
I have 3b/3c hair and I absolutely have to detangle atleast every 2 days otherwise it is tangle and knot city.

Back