Hennalucent..What went wrong?

AphroDiva

Hi Everyone!! After reading so much about Hennalucent I went yesterday to get my a box...and apply it on my hair. I did the neutral (to condition and add shine). But it was weird,,I actually see not that much difference!! the redish highlights my hair had from my (Brown Auburn color) are softer , not as intense as they were.
Also....was it suposed to get harder as it stand? It was like applying glue to my hair.
I know not every product works the same way to every one, but I just wanted to add something more to my regimen and give it a try.
Have anyone had something similar to this happend with the Hennalucent? Or did I do something wrong? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Hi AphroDiva!
I never tried hennalucent. I use regular henna. What did you add to you mixture?

Hmmmm,

Did you use a plastic hat over it? How did your hair turn out? dry? or drier? Or just the color difference from what you said?

hada

Hello! Well, my hair is not as shinny as it normally is /images/graemlins/frown.gif
I didn't use a plastic bag on top..did I had to? And the color is not as vibrant as it used to be also. I did not add anithing to the mixture. I think hair got a little dry from it. Don't really know what happen. Guess Hennalucent is not mant for my hair /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Hi AphroDiva,

As many of the ladies that use henna have stressed in thread after thread, we add conditioning ingredients to the mix to combat the dryness that is inherent with henna. Henna is naturally drying, and if you don't add moisture to your mix, i.e., essential oils, carrier oils, a moisturizing conditioner, you more than likely will have a dry-mix. This is why it felt like 'glue' when you applied it to your hair. You have to play around with your moisturizing ingredients to find the consistency that is compatible for you. I like super soft hair, so I add 1/4 cup: castor/extra virgin olive oil, jojoba oil, vit.e oil, 5 tblsp. of cholesterol conditioner. Since I love shiny, jet-black hair, I have used Gleaming Ebony and have used the neutral as well with no problems of hardness, dryness, etc. If you notice in the henna threads none of the users ever use <font color="red">plain</font> henna alone /images/graemlins/nono.gif There is always some type of moisturizing, conditioning ingredient added to the mix /images/graemlins/smile.gif

hth,
Amethyst

Hi AphroDiva/images/graemlins/wave.gif

The instructions say that you are supposed to add very hot water to the mix and blend until it has a smooth, honey like consistency. If the mixture thickens add more water. The mixture should remain creamy and moist during process.
Also, by adding some type of conditioner to your batch, that should also help to stave off the dryness. As far as the color not being as intense as it once was, all I know is that on the box itself, it says " 100% Organic. No Metallic Salts. Safe for chemically treated hair."

1. Did you apply a moisturizing agent?
2. How long did you leave it on?
3. Did you add enough water to make sure that the consistency remained smooth throughout your application?

I use an adore hair-color and the Hennalucent in no way has lessened or affected my haircolor. If anything it seemed to 'set' it more, meaning a deeper, richer tone /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Iris

Okay,

I'm going to ask this question...Does anyone use their blender to mix the ingredients together so that they can get a smoother consistency of the Henna? Or is that a no, no? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Thank You so much Girls!! I haven't add anything to my mix cause I was afraid I could damage it, but now i know.I wont give up on using it. I went and do exactly what the instructions say. maybe I should also have added more water....I used a lot of water and kept drying. Next time i will add some extras also.
LOVE THIS BOARD!!! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

LOLOLOL!!! Ok..ok I had to laugh with this one /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Nahhh, you don't need a blender and shouldn't.....that is one thing that should be emphasized...Do NOT under any circumstances use metallic objects such as metal bowls or spoons, NOTHING metallic. It can fool with how henna responds to your hair. Blenders have those metal mixer fingers. You can just mix well until it is like toothpaste of slightly looser.

hada

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
LOLOLOL!!! Ok..ok I had to laugh with this one

Nahhh, you don't need a blender and shouldn't.....that is one thing that should be emphasized...Do NOT under any circumstances use metallic objects such as metal bowls or spoons, NOTHING metallic. It can fool with how henna responds to your hair. Blenders have those metal mixer fingers. You can just mix well until it is like toothpaste of slightly looser.

hada

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL! /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif Okay Hada, I'm over here laughing at myself on that one. I totally forgot about the metal thing....Duh, Uh Huh, Huh....Duhhhh. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hi Hairfanatic /images/graemlins/laugh.gif /images/graemlins/laugh.gif /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I mix everything in nothing but plastic bowls and use a plastic spoon to mix. To me it seems as if you are a bit apprehensive about henna? If you are concerned about anything do a patch test /images/graemlins/smile.gif Whatever the results with your sample, will be the same results you will receive with your hair.

Hada- How often do you use your henna mix?

Thanks,
Amethyst

To me it seems as if you are a bit apprehensive about henna?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really. I was just thinking about the post and the fact that you ladies were saying to include things so that the Henna will give a more conditioning effect. That's where the blender thing came in (to make it more creamier) but dopey me forgot about the metal. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Well, when I first started doing henna, I did it 3 weeks in a row to build up and loosen the curl a bit which did work. I kept moisture levels pretty good and no dryness problem. Now I am using it once a month. I am about to do another henna this Sat or next, it's very relaxing for me. I wish I can afford rose oil to add for scent. I walk around smelling like Rosemary/spinach- doesn't bother me, but others in the household think it's the worst thing. /images/graemlins/blush.gif
I think some of this sites on henna are correct, henna has a scent, either you like or don't like.

I leave mine in for severals hours , including one hour of heat (I do this to set the henna in and to set the oils I have added into the hair.) My scalp feels good when I do this too.

I have made a commitment with henna since I plan on remaining natural headed and using natural products suchas Aubrey Organics, they work fine and so does Elucence.

hada

BTW, how's the MSM coming along? I tried it, the powder and it is soooo bitter tasting. I would buy orange juice for it, but the entire household keeps drinking it up. Oh well... /images/graemlins/look.gif

BTW, how's the MSM coming along? I tried it, the powder and it is soooo bitter tasting. I would buy orange juice for it, but the entire household keeps drinking it up. Oh well...

[/ QUOTE ]

MSM will forever be a staple in my diet /images/graemlins/grin.gif I love the fact that it adds sheen, and more importantly for me, it makes my hair-texture come out much straighter /images/graemlins/smile.gif Currently, I'm using the brand by Doctor's Best. MSM is very bitter tasting, but I just gulp it down with lots of water /images/graemlins/fat.gif I'm currently overjoyed with the Puritan Pride biotin Jade had recommended /images/graemlins/bouncy.gif Man is that stuff potent /images/graemlins/shocked.gif Works better than any biotin brand I've ever tried.

Thanks for your reply,
Amethyst

One more thing I forgot to ask...do you apply the hennalucent on dry or wet (towel dry) hair? Does hair have to be clean before application? I washed my hair before apply /images/graemlins/confused.gifing mine.

I must consider PP brand too. I have been using the Country Life 5mg. brand. I think it is good, my already existing "inapproprate hairs" grow way too fast, but you guys have my curiosity piqued now. LOL!

I will try gulping my MSM down too with water since I can't seem to keep the juice in the house. (quivering)

hada

You can apply it to dry hair, I do w/o a problem.

As long as you don't have anything heavy or a build up of product in your hair, you are good to go. I like to do it after a week of pressed hair, it makes for easier parting and application.

hada

I wash my hair first and then apply. I remember reading where someone said on the other thread that they use it on dry hair. It's just a matter of preference. But the one thing I do want you to remember is to include that all important moisture, moisture, moisture!

hth,
Amethyst

Back