Hennalucent-Used to be the rage, is it nearly as good as Henna?

melodee

Years back (yes, I'm an old head here) folks were singing the praises of Hennalucent, organic translucent henna. They said it was an excellent conditioner and loosened curls, and gave a nice color to those who used Sunset Glo. I sued the neutral once and it was okay, but not all that. But I was told you have to use it consistently to see results.

Now the new Henna (body art quality) bandwagon is riding down the road, and I wanna jump on it. But it's seems easier to use Hennalucent. Does it hold a candle at all? I guess not, but figured I'd ask.

Good question. That is exactly what I used a couple of times years ago. Is it the "compound" henna that we are not supposed to use on relaxed hair, or not?

I'd like to know too.

RG,

I am not a henna expert and so I'm hoping some with chime in. I think that compound henna is not to be mixed with commercial dyes and chemicals. Body art henna is I think supposed to be less potent and okay to mix. Translucent henna-well I don't know how much henna's in it.

I use Hennalucent. I'm still not sure about henna, so I'll stick with that. I think it makes a good protein treatment for the hair. All of the o darker colors turn my hair jet black.

I'd be interested in finding out more about the hennaluscent. I have light brown hair and am afraid of using something that will make my hair dark. I love my natural hair color. I am currently using the Amla oil but only once a week, if that, because I'm afraid of my hair getting darker. I have seen the threads on henna and am very interested if there is an option which will give me the benefits of hennaing but not the added color.

tnorenberg said:
I'd be interested in finding out more about the hennaluscent. I have light brown hair and am afraid of using something that will make my hair dark. I love my natural hair color. I am currently using the Amla oil but only once a week, if that, because I'm afraid of my hair getting darker. I have seen the threads on henna and am very interested if there is an option which will give me the benefits of hennaing but not the added color.

If you want the benefits of hennalucent without any color change, they do make a "neutral" version.

I used to use hennalucent on a regular basis. It colored and conditioned. It is not the compound henna that chemically treated hair is supposed to stay away from, but I don't think that it can be used on top of other hair color because of reactions.

When I was using it I loved it. Being a PJ I stopped using it in favor of less gentle hair colors. Might go back to it, if I ever use all of the other brands that I own.

i've heard of the term hennalucent, i just assumed it was the same as henna. Since it doesn't color, i'm wondering if it's Cassia? And maybe the hennalucent colors just has indigo or dyes in them? who knows....interesting question.

I've used hennalucent as well. I don't think it comes close to the quality of body art Henna. Only becuase the body art henna is in it's natural form. I just hennaed for the second time today. I plan on doing this once weekly to condition and strengthen my hair. I think you should go for the real deal Mel. :) Come on, we can be henna buddies. We both have fine hair and could use the extra strenghtening.

Here is some information about hennalucent. I liked it before and it was alot simpler to use than henna. I think I am going to go to Sally's today and do this tomorrow. See product feature/benefit information below:

Included in the Ardell line and available only at beauty supply stores, is Hennalucent a line of high-quality henna hair treatments.
Regular henna is not recommended for use on hair that has been chemically treated. Hennalucent Semi-Permanent Hair Color and Conditioner is a 100 percent organic translucent toner and conditioner that can be used on permed or relaxed hair safely. In fact, it will restore elasticity, body and shine as it contains hydrolyzed animal protein, plant extracts and henna. Henna is a vegetable-based dye which is made into a paste with water and then applied to the hair to create a strong, red-orange shade that lasts about as long as semi-permanent color. Ardell Hennalucent Semi-Permanent Hair Color and Conditioner is a henna-based,100% organic haircolor, available in five shade plus neutral. Rich in proteins and organic conditioners, it contains no metallic salts so it is safe for chemically treated hair. Color fades naturally in 6 to 8 weeks. These are the only professsional henna products that penetrate the hair shaft through natural organic absorbtion, to deliver long-lasting shine, body, and beautiful highlights. These treatments are compatible with all other salon services, including perms, because they do not coat the hair like ordinary henna does. Hennalucent is available in 8 natural looking lustrous shades, including Sunset Glo, Earth Brown, Tawny Blonde and Neutral (which gives the hair shimmering, lustrous highlights without adding color.

I use the neutral one. That is only because I got a bunch of them cheap on ebay. I like to use them in between my regular henna. I have been mixing one packet with 1 oz. of cassia or BAQ henna, a cup of plain yogurt, a teaspoon of pectin (not sure what good this does, but it changes the texture abit) and some oil (whatever I have - right now it's emu). Sometimes it is a bit too thick so I add an ounce of boiling water. My hair loves it. My elasticity has improved greatly and my hair is softer. After I use these up, I am going to try something else (like just using cassia alone) before I decide to buy again.

A lady that I work with told me that her stylist used hennalucent on her hair and it was the best conditioning treatment she had every had. He only mixed it with water, though.

I am going to do this every week until I use all of these up. I only have a little BAQ henna left and I am using it sparingly. Hennalucent and cassia haev been great meantime treatments for me.

Royal Glory said:
Here is some information about hennalucent. I liked it before and it was alot simpler to use than henna. I think I am going to go to Sally's today and do this tomorrow. See product feature/benefit information below:

Included in the Ardell line and available only at beauty supply stores, is Hennalucent a line of high-quality henna hair treatments.
Regular henna is not recommended for use on hair that has been chemically treated. Hennalucent Semi-Permanent Hair Color and Conditioner is a 100 percent organic translucent toner and conditioner that can be used on permed or relaxed hair safely. In fact, it will restore elasticity, body and shine as it contains hydrolyzed animal protein, plant extracts and henna. Henna is a vegetable-based dye which is made into a paste with water and then applied to the hair to create a strong, red-orange shade that lasts about as long as semi-permanent color. Ardell Hennalucent Semi-Permanent Hair Color and Conditioner is a henna-based,100% organic haircolor, available in five shade plus neutral. Rich in proteins and organic conditioners, it contains no metallic salts so it is safe for chemically treated hair. Color fades naturally in 6 to 8 weeks. These are the only professsional henna products that penetrate the hair shaft through natural organic absorbtion, to deliver long-lasting shine, body, and beautiful highlights. These treatments are compatible with all other salon services, including perms, because they do not coat the hair like ordinary henna does. Hennalucent is available in 8 natural looking lustrous shades, including Sunset Glo, Earth Brown, Tawny Blonde and Neutral (which gives the hair shimmering, lustrous highlights without adding color.

So regular henna is neither hennalucent nor BAQ Henna?
From the other posts, it sounds like hennalucent and BAQ henna can be used together right? But that bolded line is confusing me because I thought BAQ Henna was regular henna:confused:.

Lkaysgirl said:
From the other posts, it sounds like hennalucent and BAQ henna can be used together right? But that bolded line is confusing me because I thought BAQ Henna was regular henna:confused:.

On this site, regular henna = BAQ henna. But, hennalucent is just a commercial product that has other ingredients in it, including some protien. I mix them.

Lkaysgirl said:
You could run into problems using compound henna with chemical treatments. BAQ on the other hand is fine to use. Always strand test though.

Back