Henna Recipes

Hair Type: (3a, 4b, etc.)3c/4a
Hair State: (Natural, relaxed, texlaxed, transitioning, etc.)natural
Use Henna for: (Covering grey, color, strengthening, etc.) color, covering grey and strengthening
Been a "Henna Junkie" for how long?:4 or 5 weeks now
How often do you Henna?:once a week
Henna recipe/instructions: hmmm.... when i use lush henna - only use 3 blocks and hot water, when i use my "chestnut" henna- i use 3 tbls of henna, 1 1/2 tbls of amalaki, 1 1/2 tbls of Fo-ti powder, hot water and 1 tblsp of red wine and 1 tblespoon of ground cloves. i have some neutral henna but i have not tried it yet.

Makes my hair the following color: lush caca marroon turns my hair red, the chestnut henna turns my hair light brown, the neutral shouldn't change my hair color at all.

I purchase my henna products from:

i still have some left over henna from lush (caca marroon) that i plan to use up soon.

Currently using light brown (chestnut) purchased from www.bytheplanet.com ( then click on the henna company) then click on henna powder.

I also have neutral henna purchased from www.bytheplanet.com

i am very pleased with the purchase as well as my herbs which i also got there. Very good quality henna.

i also like the lush henna but i prefer the henna that i purchased at www.bytheplanet.com

Carmeldiva, I would love to have my henna'ed hair a lighter brown. I've used henna twice and like the results but want it lighter. It's a cherry cola-type color with my gray hair looking like reddish gold highlights.

Was your hair already light? I'm interested in tyring the Chestnut Henna, but wondering if my hair is too dark for it to work since henna only really darkens. Do you know what oter ingrediaents are used in this type of Henna to give certain colors?

Thanks for your help! I'm cautiously excited.

atlqt said:
Carmeldiva, I would love to have my henna'ed hair a lighter brown. I've used henna twice and like the results but want it lighter. It's a cherry cola-type color with my gray hair looking like reddish gold highlights.

Was your hair already light? I'm interested in tyring the Chestnut Henna, but wondering if my hair is too dark for it to work since henna only really darkens. Do you know what oter ingrediaents are used in this type of Henna to give certain colors?

Thanks for your help! I'm cautiously excited.

maybe this link can better answer your question as to ingredients: http://www.bytheplanet.com/MoreInfo/details.htm?prod=900567&PropPass=KitsandTattoos

now my hair is naturally dark brown so it took about 3 times before i started achieving the color i was looking for. Also my hair color was similiar to the cherry cola from a previous henna treatment prior to using the chestnut brown.

HTH.

I started using henna to cover my "skunk spot" in front. It now needs to be covered every 2 wks.

I use Dulhan Deluxe Heena Powder 3.5 oz
12 oz strong brewed tea
2 tbls amla oil
2 tbls amla powder

I use the oil because all of the pro sites sell oil as "terps", to help develop the color.
After developing overnight I add 2 tbls Proclaim aloe and shea butter conditioner and apply heat for 1 hr and then leave in anywhere from 1 to 2 additional hrs.

tenderheaded said:
I started using henna to cover my "skunk spot" in front. It now needs to be covered every 2 wks.

I use Dulhan Deluxe Heena Powder 3.5 oz
12 oz strong brewed tea
2 tbls amla oil
2 tbls amla powder

I use the oil because all of the pro sites sell oil as "terps", to help develop the color.
After developing overnight I add 2 tbls Proclaim aloe and shea butter conditioner and apply heat for 1 hr and then leave in anywhere from 1 to 2 additional hrs.

Girl, we like the same products!! I am sitting here, with the most luscious henna mix I've ever made:

Dulhan Deluxe Heena Powder 3.5 oz mixed w/a cup of espresso coffee (made w/distilled water)
3 oz of Dabur Amla oil (mixed w/a few drops of lavendar eo)
a spoonful of Grandma's molasses

This is the creamiest, yummiest henna mix to ever hit my hair. I can't wait to see how it turns out . :grin:

P.S. I plan on deep conditioning w/the Proclaim conditioner later. ;)

Priestess said:
Girl, we like the same products!! I am sitting here, with the most luscious henna mix I've ever made:

Dulhan Deluxe Heena Powder 3.5 oz mixed w/a cup of espresso coffee (made w/distilled water)
3 oz of Dabur Amla oil (mixed w/a few drops of lavendar eo)
a spoonful of Grandma's molasses

This is the creamiest, yummiest henna mix to ever hit my hair. I can't wait to see how it turns out . :grin:

P.S. I plan on deep conditioning w/the Proclaim conditioner later. ;)
We're product twins:grin: I can flat use up some amla and Vatika oils.
They're so cheap AND good for the hair too.
You need to stay out of my head. I was just saying that my henna mix today was like creamy frosting - and it didn't stink bad either!!!

tenderheaded said:
We're product twins:grin: I can flat use up some amla and Vatika oils.
They're so cheap AND good for the hair too.
You need to stay out of my head. I was just saying that my henna mix today was like creamy frosting - and it didn't stink bad either!!!

You said it, Tenderhead. Amla and Vatika oils are the truth! And that Dulhan henna is insane. Not only is it finely milled and it doesn't have the twigs and sticks other hennas have, your right, it doesn't have that funny henna stink either. And it's soooooo cheap!! :eek:

Tenderheaded & Priestess,

Where do you get your Henna? I just ordered Jamila but I'm looking to try something that's finely sifted, yet a little less expensive. TIA

msshic said:

Where do you get your Henna? I just ordered Jamila but I'm looking to try something that's finely sifted, yet a little less expensive. TIA
I buy Dulhan Deluxe Heena Powder locally for $1.49 for 3.5oz. It is finely sifted and stains beautifully. I LOVE the price:grin:
I didn't even know that there were 3 Indian stores in a 5 miles radius until I googled. I can't see myself buying online at these fab prices! Even the amla oil is cheap -$3.99 for 16.9 oz:eek:

tenderheaded said:
I buy Dulhan Deluxe Heena Powder locally for $1.49 for 3.5oz. It is finely sifted and stains beautifully. I LOVE the price:grin:
I didn't even know that there were 3 Indian stores in a 5 miles radius until I googled. I can't see myself buying online at these fab prices! Even the amla oil is cheap -$3.99 for 16.9 oz:eek:

Yeah, those online prices are ridiculous but I don't know of any Indian Markets in my area. I've called 3 & none sell henna. Does this store you purchase from have an online address?

Lucky you!!!!:p

msshic said:

I get mine at a local Indian market. IMO that's the best place to get it, if you have one in your area. The quality of the henna is exceptional, plus it's BAQ (body art quality) and only $1.50 a box. Need I say more? :eyebrows2

ETA: Oops, I'm sorry, Ms Chic, I just read that you can't find henna locally, sorree girl. Do you have a Whole Foods market nearby? I hear they carry henna inexpensively in bulk. Also From Nature With Love is a website that is supposed to offer henna at exceptional prices.

Last edited:
Yes you can. It will give you a more subtle highlighted look like a cellophane would. It is also easier to wash out with it. This method is called Henna Gloss

Hair Type: (3a, 4b, etc.) 3b/3c
Hair State: (Natural, relaxed, texlaxed, transitioning, etc.) Relaxed/Texturized
Use Henna for: (Covering grey, color, strengthening, etc.) Color & Strength
Been a "Henna Junkie" for how long?: I have been using henna for about 10 years but I am not very consistent
How often do you Henna?: when I feel like it...:look: (usually once a month, I can't stand the mess)
Henna recipe/instructions:
I buy henna from Whole Foods, I believe its called Light Mountain (or something like that)

1/2 package of henna from whole foods
1 cup of chamomile tea
Tablespoon of Avacado, Almond, or EVOO
Tablespoon of Nettle
Tabespoon of Aloe Vera

Apply to clean damp hair and sit for 3 hours, sitting under my hooded dryer for the first half hour. Rinse with HH Hello Hydration or None of Your Frizziness. DC with Silk Elements Intense Hair May Treatmeant w/ heat for 30 minutes. Style

Makes my hair the following color: Deep Brown/Black
Whole Foods

HTH

ok. I seriously tried to read thru this entire thread to school myself. but i am only 1/4 way and i think i'll be 90 by the time i finish!!!!!.. by then i'll really need it to cover my greys..:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:

So I decided on doing henna but don't know where to start exactly. There is an indian store in my neighborhood and I want to make sure I buy the right thing. What brand have you ladies seen in the indian stores? I want smthg for conditioning and a lil brown/auburnish color. When you buy the henna does it come with all the stuff you have to mix it with - like the amla thingie you laidies talk about.

Can someone who's a 4b (fine) relaxed with 1b color hair please tell me EXACTLY what brand of henna there is in they buy from the stores? And which one do i have to buy to get the conditioning effect as well as a lil brown/auburnish color?

ok. I seriously tried to read thru this entire thread to school myself. but i am only 1/4 way and i think i'll be 90 by the time i finish!!!!!.. by then i'll really need it to cover my greys..:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:

So I decided on doing henna but don't know where to start exactly. There is an indian store in my neighborhood and I want to make sure I buy the right thing. What brand have you ladies seen in the indian stores? I purchase mine from a local indian store for $2.99 and use it EVERY Week. The brand is called Godrej Nupur. It may also be purchased on-line-you can google it. I want smthg for conditioning and a lil brown/auburnish color. When you buy the henna does it come with all the stuff you have to mix it with - like the amla thingie you laidies talk about. The ingredients in the pack are as follows:
Mehendi (conditioner/colourant)
Brahmi (hair growth)
Amla (darkening/hair growth)
Bhingraj (darkening/shining)

Can someone who's a 4b (fine) relaxed with 1b color hair please tell me EXACTLY what brand of henna there is in they buy from the stores? And which one do i have to buy to get the conditioning effect as well as a lil brown/auburnish color?
My hair is reddish/brown, but when I use the henna the red highlights are more visible. I believe that you can get this brand in other colors. Hope this helps!!

See my responses in bold above.....

Last edited:
Hair Type: (3a, 4b, etc.)
4b
Hair State: (Natural, relaxed, texlaxed, transitioning, etc.)
Natural
Use Henna for: (Covering grey, color, strengthening, etc.)
Conditioning and strengthening
Been a "Henna Junkie" for how long?:
About 2 months
How often do you Henna?:
Every 4/6 weeks
Henna recipe/instructions:
For my hendingo mix: 50g BAQ Jamila henna, 50g indigo, organic tea (allow to steep til lukewarm), approx 1 tbsp honey, approx 1 tbsp EVCO. I pre oiled my scalp with peppermint/jojoba for scalp stimulation, and applied my mix to preoiled (EVCO) dry hair. Left on for 5 hours, washed out with HSR shampoo followed by a cowash with Giovanni Smooth as Silk. Overnight DC with HSR condish
Makes my hair the following color:
Dark brown, almost black
First purchase was from hennaboy.co.uk, looking for less expensive BAQ Jamila for next buy

When I did my first henna which was a 2-step I didn't DC long enough or cowash enough in the days following so I suffered some breakage from the dryness. This mix gave me great results.

I'll post again when I henna next, which will be a 2-step again. Pics of my blowout following this hendingo are in my April 2009 fotki folder. HTH someone.

Last edited:
Back