~HENNA QUESTION~

PrettyBlackHair

I've heard a lot about henna and I really want to try it when I relax my hair in 3 weeks. However, I have some questions I need answered before I do it.

1. Does it stain your clothes like other rinses?
2. What's the best kind to buy, and what website is it on?
3. What kind of conditioning treatment is it (protein, moisturizer, etc)?
4. What color should I get if I want my hair to be a reddish, orange cinnamony color (like the Cellophane color called cinnamon for those who know what I'm talking about)?

Thank you guys so much in advance cuz I think I really want to try this.:grin:

YES, BIGGGGG YES!! When I henna I put on my dollarstore poncho (it's like the styling cape at the beauty salon) and I wear VERY old clothes. I also put an open up garbage on the bathroom floor and use gloves. That stuff will stain like a mug!!

BAQ, body art quality, won't mess with commercial colors or relaxers
www.fromnaturewithlove.com (you get a pound pretty cheap.it will last you a long time) and it's the same quality as mehandi/henna for hair. it's just tons cheaper and you get 4x the amout here then at catherine's.

www.mehandi.com or www.hennaforhair.com

This is catherine's site. There's a bunch of info there, so check it out and read up before getting started. She has EXCELLENT product but the shipping is OUTRAGEOUS and I can't go to her house to pick it up anymore, so I don't order from her.

Henna is protein, that should be done on clean dry hair. You will DEFINITELY need to follow up with deep conditioning.There's a section on Catherine's site that has recipies and a pictorial how to.

4. What color should I get if I want my hair to be a reddish, orange cinnamony color (like the Cellophane color called cinnamon for those who know what I'm talking about)?

BAQ (body art quality) doesn't come in "colors". That stuff you see in the store isn't baq and you could have really bad effects if that store boxed (mountain brand is one of them) stuff reacts when you relax. You have to be really careful. Plus the cheap hennas have sand/twig fillers that you will be rinsing for hours. Baq doesn't do that to you. Henna is only "reddish" tinting unless you have blonde/grey hair you won't get a "firey" red. For cinnamony highlights you can acheive that with henna when seen in the light. Just read up on it, and see for yourself what henna is, what it does and how to use it. I know you are aware of the many, many, posts dedicated to henna and you can always look through thoes for more info:yawn:

Aja answered all your questions really well.

I don't do henna on clean dry hair, it's usually half clean, damp hair.

I also do my henna in the nude, which makes cleanup SO much easier. :lachen:

I find that once you get the consistency right, it doesn't get all over everywhere - you want it to be like a VERY VERY thick conditioner.

I also add cheapie conditioner to my henna mix - it cuts down on the drying properties, and I still DC afterwards.

I've heard a lot about henna and I really want to try it when I relax my hair in 3 weeks. However, I have some questions I need answered before I do it.

Thank you guys so much in advance cuz I think I really want to try this.:grin:

Guuurrrrlll! Don't tell me you're gonna henna without paying homage to "THE GREAT HENNA THREAD" are you? Honey chile, that thread is over 200 pages long, and there's a wealth of knowledge in there! :lachen: Seriously, though, there's a link to a pdf manual with color mixes, instructions, and explanations about quite a bit. It's worth the trouble to read it, because there are all sorts of tips you can glean that will help you. HTH

Thanks for all your answers!
I may have been misunderstood on one of my questions though. I meant does henna stain your clothes after you are done applying it, like everyday on your white shirts?
Oh, and I will look up that thread! :yep:

Prettyblackhair...check my fotki and see if that is the color u are looking to get. I didnt do anything special, just mixed it with water and let it sit for 12 hours to release.

While applying it -YES
After u henna'd-NO
Jamila!!!!= no tangles,no dryness,no hardness, rinses clean
Can get it at hennaforhair and mehndiskinart has a great sale right now on Jamila thats where I got mine
It strengthens,add thickness,shine and my hair get softer more and more,conditioning... always use a moisturizing DC after u henna
Check out hennaforhair the section called "Mixes" for help in achieving a certain color

Yes definitely have to read the henna thread :yep:
Its long :yawn: but has tons of info and will answer ur questions then some
U have until 3 weeks so u have plenty of time :grin:

Back