Henna over synthetic dyes????

sistawithsumthin

I have been using Natural Insticts semi-permanent color. Since I don't want sewer black or frog butt green hair :eek: I thought I'd better ask first.

Can I use the regular henna over semi-perm colored hair? Do I have to buy the body art quality?:confused:

Also how do I determine what color to use?

TIA!!!

Hi,
I can help with some of this.

Always use body art quality Henna.
I used Natural Instincts semi-permanent color also (Black). This was the only thing that would cover my grey. When I started looking into Henna I called Clairol and asked them what they thought of me using Henna over the dye. They told me do NOT do it. To wait until all the dye was out of my hair. If you look on the box it also states do not use Henna. Since this is a semi-perm dye I have waited 4 months so I am gonna go ahead and try the Henna. They says the dye only lasts through I think 28 shampoos or something but my hair is still dark from it.

Be sure to do a strand test first. Better safe than sorry. I did one already and it came out fine. I did my strand test with Jamila Henna mixed with warm water. Just make sure all the Natural Instincts is out of your hair.

I hope this helps some and hopefully someone with more knowledge will join in and help you.
DeAnna

I LOOOVE super black hair, so I use a permanent dye every 3-5 months and rinses in-between that. I used to henna 1-2x per week with NO ISSUES! Make ABSOLUTELY sure that it is BODY ART QUALITY though. The potential danger with any other type of henna is that it may have metallic salts or dyes which DEFINITELY would produce bad results when used on top of other hair color. I've had great success combining my henna + commerical dyes. BUT I just got my indigo samples and am excited about this new natural blue-black experience!

Lady and Hericane I am so happy you two responded!!! I was definitely thinking that it was okay to use it. The girl at Sally's told me it was okay to use also. Something told me to ask the ladies on LHCF for an informed decision. Imagine the results. :(

I have too much gray to wait for it to grow out so I will order the body art quality.

How do I choose color? The last time I used henna I wanted bloody red hair like my grandmother. I got straight purple hair!

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Back