Henna is VERY SMELLY!

Napp

Ms. Nobody
I just hennaed and my hands are very smelly. i cant remove the scent with soap and water. i tried putting a strong smelling lotion to no avail. any tips! the smell makes me want to hurl:sad:

I think you are suppose to use gloves.. I dunno though, I never did it but plan on doing it soon. so, maybe someone with experience can tell you what to do. But thanks to this post, I'm definitely using gloves.

I wrote this whole stupid response before.. lol. :sekret:

Yeah, there is nothing you can do. I had orange hands once too. I washed them A LOT that day. I don't recall a smell, but the color mostly faded after 4-5 days.

That day I had my henna ready and all dye released and realized I ran out of gloves :lol:

Last edited:
i used gloves .....:/ i did touch it for a few seconds with out gloves but rinsed immediatley!
and if my hands smell like this my hair will probally smell too.

Last edited:
What brand did you get? I've never had a smelly batch before - it just smells like "grass" to me :look: I even like the smell of amla - smells like raisins to me :rolleyes:

i do remeber touching it because i had missed a spot and had taken off the gloves already. i guess that was a bad idea. i didnt think the smell would seep in that quick though! i used al-aroosa henna. it smelled like rasins when dry but once i started mixing it smelled worse and worse. i bought it in an indian store because online cost too much

That's not a typical favorite brand I find.

One thing about henna. Old, stale henna STINKS. I've tried it before. Jamila brand.

Fresh henna smells earthy/grassy and a little sweet. Not great smelling, but certainly not offensive.

What is the date on your henna?

i dont see a date. it smells like a barnyard./ would a little diluted bleach do the tirck

Then your hands will smell like bleach :blush: That - in the end- can end up smelling like funky corn chips. Do you have any tomato juice laying around? Potatoes or papayas. They're good at sucking up the funk :yep: Any essential oils in your back pocket? I read lavender can get rid of it.

If you get desperate, spray some Febreze on your hands :look:
Ok, that was mean. I'm sorry :drunk:

THANKS for the tip about lavandar. i dont like the smell of lavandar either but i would prefer it to the weird grass/hay smell.I just applied it so i hope it lasts

Then your hands will smell like bleach :blush: That - in the end- can end up smelling like funky corn chips. Do you have any tomato juice laying around? Potatoes or papayas. They're good at sucking up the funk :yep: Any essential oils in your back pocket? I read lavender can get rid of it.

If you get desperate, spray some Febreze on your hands :look:
Ok, that was mean. I'm sorry :drunk:
:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:

ew. never had that problem.

:look:

Good luck getting that smell out. Since you still got an odor on your hands and you used gloves, are you sure it was not the gloves?

I mean henna does not stink like that on its own and even still the smell never linger.

At least that has been my experience and I have been using henna for years.

maybe do a dc with your good smelling dc to take away some of the smell. but op the smell is very normal

the smell is killing me.i dry heaved a couple of times. i am very sensitive to smells. the lavandar made it worse. i sprayed some tilex on my hands for a few seconds and rinsed it off and it has been helping the most. the smell hasnt gone away though

I am lying here with henna in my hair and orange palms right now lol! I love the smell and did not wear gloves because I didn't think the color released because of the lemon juice i used. Anywho i like the smell so I guess I am no help.

Back