Henna Gone Wrong

IndianAngel22

I think my Henna may be going wrong :( After my weekly protein treatments I've never experienced breakage that I noticed, but after my Henna, my hair was still soft, and still felt soft, but everyday I've been noticeing broken hairs in my sink. Lots of them. I'd been using vatika on my ends, and when the breakage didn't stop this morning I moisturized my ends and sealed with some Vatika coconut oil but I'm getting scared. My hair doesn't look any different but seeing the small broken hairs everyday is making me think somethings wrong even though my hair feels and looks fine :( What do I do! I'm afraid of a slow unnoticeable setback!

Henna Results in my blog by the way *PLUG* lol

Maybe the weekly protein treatments are too much with the henna. Henna coats the hair and I would reduce the protein treatments. DC with honey and olive oil(eta-4 tablespoons honey to 8 tablespoons of olive oil), it'll bring moisture right back into the hair. When I henna, I do a moisturizing DC before AND after. I wait a couple of weeks before doing any protein DC's. From my experience, henna is like protein in that it fills in bonds that are lacking and protein does this too. Moisture DC'ing should remedy this...good luck!

I only do my hair once a weak though. i'm not into wearing my hair natural yet, so is it bad for me to wait until Sunday again to deep condition my hair?

If you want to wait until Sunday then use olive oil by itself. Take a little in the palm of your hand, rub palms together and apply to your hair. Do low manipulation styles so you won't break too many hairs.

Weekly protein treatments and henna? I'd skip two weeks after the henna, personally, because the henna coats the strands. That coating wears off rather quickly, but you don't want to add more 'stiffness' on top of the henna via protein, as it'll make your hair brittle and snappy.

What sort of DC did you use after you henna'd? How long have you been henna'ing, and how often are you doing it?

Weekly protein treatments and henna? I'd skip two weeks after the henna, personally, because the henna coats the strands. That coating wears off rather quickly, but you don't want to add more 'stiffness' on top of the henna via protein, as it'll make your hair brittle and snappy.

What sort of DC did you use after you henna'd? How long have you been henna'ing, and how often are you doing it?

It was my first Henna. i mixed olive oil and conditioner in the Henna and everything and only left it in 50 minutes under the dryer. I use protein every week not HARD proteins but proteins in my conditioner. I've never had a problem it's been helping my hair. I deep conditioned after with ORS replinishing pack for about 10 minutes under the dryer

I'd stick to moisturizing DC's for the next week or two, all the same. Perhaps your hair didn't really need the additional strengthening properties of henna....

Piggybacking off of JK - do not do any protein for a while - focus on deep conditioning (moisturizing)- I would recommend doing it before Sunday... and you may have to do it more frequently to offset the breakage as Henna is very drying (that's why I mix mine with conditioners)

I'd have to say I recommend with most of everyone's recommendations. Definetely the treatments will need to be spread apart and maybe choose one over the other. Either henna or the protein treatment. Henna is usually recommend on average every 4-6 weeks. Unless for those who use it for coloring hair and especially greys.

I'm not sure if the dryer is a good help either. It;s not really necessary to use all that extra heat when doing your henna treatment. Let it sit on your head under a shower cap or wrapped up naturally at room temp.

I have to agree with everyone else. Stay away from the protein treatments for a couple of weeks after you henna. Until you're ready to wash and deep condition (with a moisturizing DC . . . I wouldn't recommend the replenishing pak because of the protein), keep you hair in low manipulation styles.

Also, when I henna, I don't go under heat. I just put plastic wrap and go about my business. I'm not sure if that may have contributed. Also, you may want to try using something other than vatika oil. I believe coconut oil helps the hair soak up more protein. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I think my Henna may be going wrong :( After my weekly protein treatments I've never experienced breakage that I noticed, but after my Henna, my hair was still soft, and still felt soft, but everyday I've been noticeing broken hairs in my sink. Lots of them. I'd been using vatika on my ends, and when the breakage didn't stop this morning I moisturized my ends and sealed with some Vatika coconut oil but I'm getting scared. My hair doesn't look any different but seeing the small broken hairs everyday is making me think somethings wrong even though my hair feels and looks fine :( What do I do! I'm afraid of a slow unnoticeable setback!

Try a hair butter:

Shea, mango, avacado, are the only one's I can think of. Or buy an avacado mix it with olive oil and use it as a deep condish. Make sure your mixture is smooth and not lumpy. I used my blender. Hope that helps.

I have to agree with everyone else. Stay away from the protein treatments for a couple of weeks after you henna. Until you're ready to wash and deep condition (with a moisturizing DC . . . I wouldn't recommend the replenishing pak because of the protein), keep you hair in low manipulation styles.

Also, when I henna, I don't go under heat. I just put plastic wrap and go about my business. I'm not sure if that may have contributed. Also, you may want to try using something other than vatika oil. I believe coconut oil helps the hair soak up more protein. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I always henna my hair with heat and haven't had any issues but I don't use heat for the entire treatment - only for about an hour and the other 2 or 3 hours or so would be without heat.

I also find that deep conditioning for 3 hours or more is good but what is REALLY GREAT is deep conditioning overnight and continue to do some more deep conditioning throughout the week. I would only use moisturizing deep conditioner for about 2 - 2.5 weeks following a henna treatment to get the suppleness back in my hair. Keep the ends moisturized all day, baggying also helps a lot.

Hey..I think you are using way too much protein. You should pick up some protein-free moisturizer (I'd suggest Redken Butter Treat from ULTA or salons in the mall) and a protein-free moisturizing deep conditioner (GVP Conditioning Balm from sally's). Do a moisturizing deep condition for a couple hours w/o heat or for 30 minutes with heat and moisturize with the Redken Butter Treat (or any other protein-free moisturizer like ORS Olive oil) and see how it goes from that..

Hey..I think you are using way too much protein. You should pick up some protein-free moisturizer (I'd suggest Redken Butter Treat from ULTA or salons in the mall) and a protein-free moisturizing deep conditioner (GVP Conditioning Balm from sally's). Do a moisturizing deep condition for a couple hours w/o heat or for 30 minutes with heat and moisturize with the Redken Butter Treat (or any other protein-free moisturizer like ORS Olive oil) and see how it goes from that..

I agree with you myronnie. Leave out all protein treatments for at least 2 weeks - see what your feels like after that and if it's still hard and breaking then add an additional week of no protein but keep up the moisture level. Yesterday I did a whole head baggy with Aubrey Organic White Camellia conditioner on my hair and wore it under a plastic cap and full wig while at work, and no one knew. I kept it on didn't wash it out until this morning. My hair is now really nice and soft like how I like it. I still won't use protein on it yet though. I'll wait until it dries and see what it feels like after that and then decide what I'll do next.

It's like you read my mind! I am having the exact same problem. Usually I only use about a quarter box of henna and I mix it with conditioner, honey, warm water, and shikakai powder. I decided to do a full henna treatment (entire box) on New Year's because I wanted more color. Since then, I have had breakage....roughly around 6-10 broken hairs a day. Not cool at all! I wash/press my hair every two weeks so for the last two washes I did a deep conditioning treatment. My hair is still breaking off, but not as much. Hopefully it will stop soon.

I always henna my hair with heat and haven't had any issues but I don't use heat for the entire treatment - only for about an hour and the other 2 or 3 hours or so would be without heat.

I also find that deep conditioning for 3 hours or more is good but what is REALLY GREAT is deep conditioning overnight and continue to do some more deep conditioning throughout the week. I would only use moisturizing deep conditioner for about 2 - 2.5 weeks following a henna treatment to get the suppleness back in my hair. Keep the ends moisturized all day, baggying also helps a lot.

What Aggie said. :yep:

I'm going to do a henna treatment next weekend. I stopped using protein or anything with cones in it 1 week ago, so it will be 2 weeks of co-washing no cones, and moisture DC's before I do my henna.

I'll do the co-washes and DCs for two weeks after my henna.

My rule no protein 1 - 2 weeks before henna and no protein for 2 weeks after henna to be safe.

Good moisture conditioner for me would be AO White Camilla Oil, with a rinse with TJ Nourish Spa.

I agree with you myronnie. Leave out all protein treatments for at least 2 weeks - see what your feels like after that and if it's still hard and breaking then add an additional week of no protein but keep up the moisture level. Yesterday I did a whole head baggy with Aubrey Organic White Camellia conditioner on my hair and wore it under a plastic cap and full wig while at work, and no one knew. I kept it on didn't wash it out until this morning. My hair is now really nice and soft like how I like it. I still won't use protein on it yet though. I'll wait until it dries and see what it feels like after that and then decide what I'll do next.
LOL you popped that in there while I was typing the same thing :lol: get outta my head :lol:

Henna is a plant protein. You might have to double up on deep conditioning weekly. I'd advise you to push the conditioning rinses, cremes or treatments until you see the hair responding well. Henna dries out the hair and you have to vigorously pursue moisture balance. Natural hair with henna reacts differently than hair treated with relaxer.

It was my first Henna. i mixed olive oil and conditioner in the Henna and everything and only left it in 50 minutes under the dryer. I use protein every week not HARD proteins but proteins in my conditioner. I've never had a problem it's been helping my hair. I deep conditioned after with ORS replinishing pack for about 10 minutes under the dryer

That's the problem right there. You dried out the hair at the start of the treatment. There is a Sudanese treatment I know about where they allow the hair to dry hard with the henna in the hot sun. Then the hair is carefully brushed after olive or sesame oil applied...to loosen the henna. It's a long process.

If you apply henna as you did, you should never use a dryer under any circumstances and never allow it to dry out period. It should be applied and allowed to "cure" under a plastic cap, keeping it moist. Do not dry it out this way. '

Maybe try another 1 hr. henna treatment this time but use full cream yoghourt in the mix to rebalance the oil/moisture in the hair. Surprisingly, henna reconditions the hair each time you use it and you might need a topping off. Then dc afterwards for that extra sealing.

Last edited:
Maybe the weekly protein treatments are too much with the henna. Henna coats the hair and I would reduce the protein treatments. DC with honey and olive oil(eta-4 tablespoons honey to 8 tablespoons of olive oil), it'll bring moisture right back into the hair. When I henna, I do a moisturizing DC before AND after. I wait a couple of weeks before doing any protein DC's. From my experience, henna is like protein in that it fills in bonds that are lacking and protein does this too. Moisture DC'ing should remedy this...good luck!

ITA!! I usually follow up with qp dpr-11 mixed with molasses and aussie moisture in the purple bottle, or I will use only aubrey organics honey suckle rose. That aubrey is the stuff. ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS follow protein with moisture, or at the very least alternate protein with moisture. If you are gonna do a heavy protein like henna or aphogee, you MUST follow up with moisture. Otherwise over a short period of time you will experience breakage.

What Aggie said. :yep:

I'm going to do a henna treatment next weekend. I stopped using protein or anything with cones in it 1 week ago, so it will be 2 weeks of co-washing no cones, and moisture DC's before I do my henna.

I'll do the co-washes and DCs for two weeks after my henna.

My rule no protein 1 - 2 weeks before henna and no protein for 2 weeks after henna to be safe.

Good moisture conditioner for me would be AO White Camilla Oil, with a rinse with TJ Nourish Spa.

LOL you popped that in there while I was typing the same thing :lol: get outta my head :lol:

Girl it freaked me out when i saw your posts too:grin:. I couldn't believe we had the same henna/moisture recovery system going on AJJ. Freaky:yep:.

Back