Henna glossers: what conditioner do you use?

Divine Inspiration

From what I've read, conditioners with cones aren't good for mixing with henna.

So, I'm wondering which cone-free conditioners you guys are using with good results.

{DI}

can someone please send me a private message with link to learn how to do a henna gloss? That henna thread is sooo long! I've been trying to read each post for three days. please help.

On the Long Hair Community they have the following info:

Glosses- A gloss is similar to a color enhancing SMT, with the focus on color more than conditioning. To make a gloss take 2-3 TB of your desired herb (powdered seems to work best) and add them to a cup of cone-free conditioner, or plain, unsweetened yogurt. Mix the into a smooth paste and let this stand until you see dye release (or a day or so if you don't). Putting it someplace warm to sit (like on top of your computer tower) will aid in dye release. Note: this works better with conditioner as yogurt tends to go really sour. Apply to dry or damp hair, wrap in plastic wrap, and leave on for as long as you wish. Rinse using only conditioner. As with other methods this may require several times to build up to the desired color.

Fia’s Henna Gloss- For minimal color change and deep conditioning.
2-3 TB henna powder
Enough lemon/lime juice to mix a smooth paste
Your favorite conditioner or plain, unsweetened yogurt
Mix the henna powder with lemon/lime juice to a smooth paste and let this stand until you see dye release. Mix the henna paste with either your favorite conditioner or plain yogurt. Apply to dry or damp hair, wrap in plastic wrap, and leave on for as long as you wish. Rinse as you'd rinse out a regular conditioner. This one is easy to apply and rinse, as it's basically conditioner or yogurt with just a hint of henna dye in it. It's good as either a color refresher in between regular henna applications or if you only wish to have a very subtle color change. It will give reddish hints on blonde and light brown hair. You may see some reddish highlights on medium brown, but probably not too much. On dark brown/black hair you'll only get the conditioning benefits from the conditioner/henna.

Overall it's a fascinating read.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=51646

I was wondering what effects you get from henna glossing, more strength or moisturizing or both? How often do you guys do this?

Metal Kitty, I think the idea of the henna gloss is to yield similar results as a full-on henna with less color...

Henna heads, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Can I do a henna gloss and still keep my black color? I applied henna and indigo a few days ago. I want to get the conditioning properties, but not change my color.

thanks!

I did my first gloss this past Saturday. I used V05 Tea Therapy Chamomile conditioner and a little Dabur amla oil. I mixed the henna (50g) with a little warm water to make a stiff paste, then added a few squirts of conditioner and 2 TBS oil to make the mixture the consistency I wanted it. I didn't let the mixture sit. I still had some color change, but it has really mellowed since Saturday. Overall, I liked it! It was just time-consuming to apply (I applied the henna to my roots first, like a relaxer, then worked it through the rest of the hair).

MadisonK said:
Can I do a henna gloss and still keep my black color? I applied henna and indigo a few days ago. I want to get the conditioning properties, but not change my color.

thanks!
Hi MadisonK! - Have you considered Cassia treatments? I use them and it adds conditioning properties without the color change.

january noir said:
Hi MadisonK! - Have you considered Cassia treatments? I use them and it adds conditioning properties without the color change.

Yes, thank you. I thought of this next, but i still have 2 pounds of henna to use up. Do you know if i don't let the dye release do I get the same conditioning properties? If that's the case, it would be like Cassia...right?

thanks!

Divine Inspiration said:
From what I've read, conditioners with cones aren't good for mixing with henna.

So, I'm wondering which cone-free conditioners you guys are using with good results.

{DI}
So far, I've only used honey and that worked very well. Next time though, I may use my Phyto Organics Nexxus Humectin (has no cones).:)

Divine Inspiration said:
Metal Kitty, I think the idea of the henna gloss is to yield similar results as a full-on henna with less color...

Henna heads, please correct me if I'm wrong.
You're right, Divine Inspiration. My first tme I did a full-on henna. The second time I did a henna gloss. I noticed both ways deposited color. :scratchch
I did just a little more indigo the second time and I could tell the difference, so the color still is still there with the gloss. Mainly, it's less dense and IMO, a little easier to control. It was good for me to do the full one first. I'll be doing glosses from now on, either with honey and/or conditioner.

Isis said:
So far, I've only used honey and that worked very well. Next time though, I may use my Phyto Organics Nexxus Humectin (has no cones).:)

I used this as a DC this past weekend, and it was GREAT. I really love it in conjunction with Theratin, and I've decided that this pair will be my staples for the remainder of the year.

Isis said:
You're right, Divine Inspiration. My first tme I did a full-on henna. The second time I did a henna gloss. I noticed both ways deposited color. :scratchch
I did just a little more indigo the second time and I could tell the difference, so the color still is still there with the gloss. Mainly, it's less dense and IMO, a little easier to control. It was good for me to do the full one first. I'll be doing glosses from now on, either with honey and/or conditioner.

So you mixed your indigo into your henna gloss? That's an interesting thought. I was planning to do indigo over my henna the first time I did it, but
I wondered how I'd maintain the color if I decided to henna gloss from that point on...mixing indigo in or even doing it after would yield similar results ('m guessing).

What do you think?

I use Elasta QP with mine. It doesn't have cones in it and my hair feels like silk afterwards.

My recipe is
2 tbs Jamila Henna
1/2 tbs amla powder (recent change)
1/2 tbs honey
1 tbs elasta qp
1 tbs evoo
1 tbs indigo.
1/4 cup of water (if needed to loosen up)

I usually add the water to my henna, mix well, and put it in a preheated oven for 20 mins to get the heat to release the color. Then I mix in the oils and conditioner. I add the indigo last and apply the entire concoction to my hair.

I LOVE IT!! Final rinse with NTM Conditioner because it gives superb slip!

How often are you ladies doing the henna gloss? Do you like the results better this way than the full application?

HERicane10 said:
How often are you ladies doing the henna gloss? Do you like the results better this way than the full application?

I do mine once a month. I've done it 3 times so far; I've never done a "traditional" henna treatment. I still got a nice color release. I'm planning to do it again this weekend, but I may try letting the color release in the henna first. I'll mix in the conditioner after the dye release.

I mix my leftover henna from full on treatments with conditioner, my favorite was the Cholesterol with olive oil and Fermodyl mixed in. It made my hair feel scrumptuous! I always get a color deposit when I henna full on or gloss.

I don't substitute the henna gloss for a full treatment but I do go in between treatments longer by using the gloss method.

Softresses

Divine Inspiration said:
So you mixed your indigo into your henna gloss? That's an interesting thought. I was planning to do indigo over my henna the first time I did it, but
I wondered how I'd maintain the color if I decided to henna gloss from that point on...mixing indigo in or even doing it after would yield similar results ('m guessing).

What do you think?
It's probably a good idea to do the full henna+indigo 2-3 times a year. Depending on how often you wash your hair, the indigo will fade - just look at your jeans.

preciousjewel76 said:
I do mine once a month. I've done it 3 times so far; I've never done a "traditional" henna treatment. I still got a nice color release. I'm planning to do it again this weekend, but I may try letting the color release in the henna first. I'll mix in the conditioner after the dye release.

This is interesting. What is your recipe for a gloss?

Miss*Tress said:
It's probably a good idea to do the full henna+indigo 2-3 times a year. Depending on how often you wash your hair, the indigo will fade - just look at your jeans.

This is true. I know the color will fade, but I'm assessing the options for maintaining the integrity of the color in between treatments. I suspect that 2-3 times a year may be too infrequent to do that. I'm not sure if I could indigo "gloss" over a henna gloss :lol: but I wouldn't have a problem with doing straight up indigo over a henna gloss 1x/month.

Divine Inspiration said:

I really don't have a "set" recipe, I'm still playing around with it. But it basically consists of 50g henna, plain yogurt or conditioner (enough for a nice mixable paste), and a few TBS of olive oil. Last time I used conditioner, I used V05 Tea Therapy Chamomile. It was OK, no problems rinsing, but I may use something more moisturizing next time. I might try my Nature's Gate Herbal conditioner in the next mix.

Divine Inspiration said:

This is true. I know the color will fade, but I'm assessing the options for maintaining the integrity of the color in between treatments. I suspect that 2-3 times a year may be too infrequent to do that. I'm not sure if I could indigo "gloss" over a henna gloss :lol: but I wouldn't have a problem with doing straight up indigo over a henna gloss 1x/month.

I agree! 2-3x doesn't seem like enough. Divine, do you think that's how you'll do your indigo? (over a gloss instead of a full application? same color results?)

HERicane10 said:
I agree! 2-3x doesn't seem like enough. Divine, do you think that's how you'll do your indigo? (over a gloss instead of a full application? same color results?)

Yes. I'm thinking if I do a henna then follow with indigo, then I can do a henna gloss + indigo 1x/month for 3-4 months, then do another henna + indigo and repeat. I think this will keep the richness of the indigo in tact longer and keep me from losing the luster of the indigo.

I've been researching henna/indigo for at least 6 months now. I have everything I need so I'm just trying to nail down some kind of pattern before I start. I think I may give it a go this month. :)

preciousjewel76 said:
I really don't have a "set" recipe, I'm still playing around with it. But it basically consists of 50g henna, plain yogurt or conditioner (enough for a nice mixable paste), and a few TBS of olive oil. Last time I used conditioner, I used V05 Tea Therapy Chamomile. It was OK, no problems rinsing, but I may use something more moisturizing next time. I might try my Nature's Gate Herbal conditioner in the next mix.

So you don't add water? Does that make it harder to rinse?

Do you gloss on dry or wet hair?

Divine Inspiration said:
So you don't add water? Does that make it harder to rinse?

Do you gloss on dry or wet hair?

I think I added a little warm water the first time around, and I used a small container of yogurt as the rest of the mix. I didn't have a hard time rinsing at all. I mean, it's a lot of "stuff" to rinse out, but it rinsed completely. I used some V05 to help rinse it out, then followed up with a lathering of moisturizing shampoo. I deep conditioned afterwards.

I've tried the gloss on damp, clarified hair (1st time) and dry hair. I noticed the color more on the clarified damp hair, but that might just be because it was my first time using the henna. I think I'll try it again on damp clarified hair this time around. It helps if you wash your hair in braids, because then you can just undo each dampened section and apply the gloss. Less manipulation that way.

My last henna gloss was with henna (after it color released), indigo, amla and honey. The honey conditioned and moisturized my hair. It also stretched out the henna/indigo/amla mixture and was very easy to apply and rinse out. The henna gloss colored my hair very well also.

Next time, I'll do the same but with Nexxus Humectin (Phyto Organics line) to make a gloss. From now on, all of my henna treatments will be glosses--it's so much easier to work with and rinse out. ;)

ETA: I believe it's good to have the very first henna treatment full strength (not a gloss) and following treatments as glosses. IMO, it isn't necessary to redo the full henna treatment. I did my gloss on dry hair and it worked well that way. I've been washing my hair in braids now so I agree with Preciousjewel76 that doing glosses this way works very well. :yep:

Last edited:
Divine Inspiration said:
Yes. I'm thinking if I do a henna then follow with indigo, then I can do a henna gloss + indigo 1x/month for 3-4 months, then do another henna + indigo and repeat. I think this will keep the richness of the indigo in tact longer and keep me from losing the luster of the indigo.

I've been researching henna/indigo for at least 6 months now. I have everything I need so I'm just trying to nail down some kind of pattern before I start. I think I may give it a go this month. :)

Divine, are you going for a raven black or a warm brown? I'm curious as to whether your technique will produce the raven black color I love so much!

Back