Henna glossers: what conditioner do you use?

HERicane10 said:
Divine, are you going for a raven black or a warm brown? I'm curious as to whether your technique will produce the raven black color I love so much!

Raven black!!! I want the drama of black hair for the summer. :lol: I'll definitely take pics and report back.

I don't like red and I am tired of black:confused: I want to get a light brown or plain brown color...Who has a good recipe for it?

To my understanding, mixing henna and indigo will give you a rich brown/light(er) black depending on the proportions. You may want to PM Sareca or VW about that.

Divine Inspiration said:
To my understanding, mixing henna and indigo will give you a rich brown/light(er) black depending on the proportions. You may want to PM Sareca or VW about that.

:) Thanks DI, I am chasing everybody in here:lol:

la flaca said:
I don't like red and I am tired of black:confused: I want to get a light brown or plain brown color...Who has a good recipe for it?

DI is correct; to get a brown color you should mix either 1/2 henna and 1/2 indigo or 2/3 henna and 1/3 indigo. That will tone down the red and give more of a brown color. The more indigo the darker the color. It can't lift color only darken. HTH :)

Finally jumped onboard with the henna gloss-

WOW!!! Great results!

1 part henna + acv/H2O= color release
1 part indigo + hot H2O
1 part Flex condish

mix all together; heat in microwave for 1 min; apply

3 1/2 hrs later= fantastic!! Covered everything incl. ALL grays!

I'll be doing this more often.

AKA-Tude said:
Finally jumped onboard with the henna gloss-

WOW!!! Great results!

1 part henna + acv/H2O= color release
1 part indigo + hot H2O
1 part Flex condish

mix all together; heat in microwave for 1 min; apply

3 1/2 hrs later= fantastic!! Covered everything incl. ALL grays!

I'll be doing this more often.

Have you done henna/indigo in the past?

Divine Inspiration said:
From what I've read, conditioners with cones aren't good for mixing with henna.

So, I'm wondering which cone-free conditioners you guys are using with good results.

{DI}

I have to check the labels of the conditioners that I've used b/c I don't recall whether or not they have cones in them.

HERicane10 said:
How often are you ladies doing the henna gloss? Do you like the results better this way than the full application?
I've done a henna gloss on my hair a few times or more. The results were good, but I prefer doing full henna treatments b/c my hair looks and feels better.

Divine Inspiration said:
Have you done henna/indigo in the past?

Yes I have, but this time it just turned out BETTER.

I dunno if it was the fact that I used acv/H20 instead of just acv,
or if zapping it in the microwave made a difference,
or just the adding of the condish,

but I had better coverage of grays & my hair feels so soft and is very shiny.

I did my first henna gloss today using Shikha Mehendi henna (for the first time and seems really nice since it's so finely milled and is cheap for a large bag), a bit of Lustrasilk Shea Butter Cholesterol, some of my new Cantu Leave in/ Conditioner in the large tub ( to see how it performs since I hadn't used it in a long time), and some porosity control ( I mix this with any conditioner to make it work better). It's definately not necessary to use several different conditioners, but I was mostly experimenting to see how the Cantu performed.
It was kinda pasty but spread really nicely and detangled on contact after shampooing with ORS neutralizing. It rinsed out really easilly and left my hair feeling really moisturized and a bit stronger it seemed. I left it on for only a half hour but I'll probably do it longer next time to see if the henna does it's job better.
BTW, I didn't let the color in the henna develop since I didn't want any color pay off, just the conditioning.

I did my best henna ever (last week)! I used jamila henna, indigo (50/50 mix), 1 cup plain yogurt, 3 tsp honey, and a few squirts of vatika oil; I added a little water to get it the consistency of pancake batter. My hair was soo strong and shiny :love: .....I will be using this recipe from now on! I did not let my henna release. I added the indigo to the henna mix after mixing it with warm water and letting it sit for 5-10 minutes.

When are you gonna try henna DI? You're gonna love it! :yep: :)

amr501 said:
I did my best henna ever (last week)! I used jamila henna, indigo (50/50 mix), 1 cup plain yogurt, 3 tsp honey, and a few squirts of vatika oil; I added a little water to get it the consistency of pancake batter. My hair was soo strong and shiny :love: .....I will be using this recipe from now on! I did not let my henna release. I added the indigo to the henna mix after mixing it with warm water and letting it sit for 5-10 minutes.

When are you gonna try henna DI? You're gonna love it! :yep: :)

That sounds fabulous.

I'm going to do it on Sunday after church. I'll have plenty of time to let it sit and so forth.

I'm planning to henna for an hour then indigo for an hour. I'll follow that with a 30-40 minute DC.

I'll report back when I'm done. :D

Divine Inspiration said:
That sounds fabulous.

I'm going to do it on Sunday after church. I'll have plenty of time to let it sit and so forth.

I'm planning to henna for an hour then indigo for an hour. I'll follow that with a 30-40 minute DC.

Great! That should turn out nice :yep:
I'll be looking for your report :D

Divine Inspiration said:
That sounds fabulous.

I can hardly wait! I'm sure you won't be disappointed!;)

I used VO5 Moisture Milks Creamy Fresh Peaches Conditioner and Rx Professional Prescription Enforce Conditioner (not together, though). BTW, I did not add water to the mix. I did use ACV and oil and allowed the dye to release.

Back