Henna gave me dreadlocks

That's interesting. My first henna was left on forever and a day over 5 hours. I did not have any tangling at all. I use body art quality henna and I am sure to detangle before I put the henna in and then once it is in I put my hair in big twists or braids and secure it (messy I know) then I cover with the plastic cap. I refuse to leave my hair out under a plastic cap it will just matt up and give me problems.

Hey ladies,

Thanks so much for the support everyone.

I used fresh Hesh Mehandi henna, it smelled strongly of fresh-cut grass. I used 100g of henna, juice of 1 lime, a cup of coconut milk, and 4 oz. of warm water. I did notice that the dye released immediately. My hands were stained during the application. I didn't wash my hair first, I applied dry and put on a plastic cap for 3.5-4 hours.

When I rinsed, I shampooed with ORS Creamy Aloe shampoo and conditioned with Phyto. I felt through my hair and that is when I noticed the dreads.

My hair is tightly coiled, dry 4b. I had hoped for straightening and shine.
My water is normal.
My hair is not protein-sensitive.
I used doo grow conditioner to mix.
The lime juice was the acid.
Use a light protein cowash everyday.
My hair strands are thick and coarse, but breaks easily.

If I ever do it again, I will use oil in my mix. I combed a few more locks out today and I am still at a loss as to what is holding them together. Perhaps, it is shed hair.

sunshinelady said:
:confused: I decided to do a henna straigthener from Mahaliee's review today. I used Hesh Mehandi henna, lime, coconut milk, and water and left it on for 4 hours. I have no idea what went wrong, but when I rinsed it out my hair was super hard. I knew that was normal, so I put Phyto Vital Force creme bath in my hair and let it stay for 15 minutes.

As I was rinsing out my hair, I started to feel where my hair had matted together in the crown and in the back. It took me two hours to get the dreads out. I think I still have a few, but my water started to get cold. I have no idea what I did wrong, but it was terrible. I lost a lot of hair. I guess no henna for me.

My hair is natural 4a/4b, tightly coiled.

Did you shower it out or did you rinse in the sink up side down. It could make a difference.

Tsipy

turnergirl said:
That's interesting. My first henna was left on forever and a day over 5 hours. I did not have any tangling at all. I use body art quality henna and I am sure to detangle before I put the henna in and then once it is in I put my hair in big twists or braids and secure it (messy I know) then I cover with the plastic cap. I refuse to leave my hair out under a plastic cap it will just matt up and give me problems.

OT: Turnergirl, I love your hair! Such beautiful curls...just lovely!;)

Important to remember:First, hair should be tangle free when you put the henna on.
In those recipes posted: From the different experiences of people who posted and what they used, when it was done for relaxing or loosening the curl...the primary recipe was henna, aloe vera, conditioner. It was based on the Herbal Tame (Gold Medal Products) which also included cornsilk and grapeseed oil. Personally, I have just gone back to using henna after deciding the Bigen and ppd were questionable and natural was safer.
I do know that a lot of experimenting was going on in that thread and some were just grabbing and adding whatever they wanted to try. My point: When a BASIC recipe is given initially, we ladies love to ADD and throw in ingredients and sometimes it is too much. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. In India and Africa they do not doctor up the pot like that( with the kitchen sink!) We love to experiment. But less is more. Be sure to cover hair with plastic bag so the henna does not harden on your head!
When I use my henna now, I make sure there are no knots or tangles, and I use hot not boiling water, plus the henna and that is it. Afterward, I do a deep condition of moisturising conditioner and my hair turns out beautifully. I am doing it for the color. I do not try to comb out my hair between the rinsing out of the henna and the conditioning. My hair as always remains tangle free. If I want a strengthening conditioner then I add a conditioner and oil to the henna and leave it in for hours. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Hey ladies.
I had similiar results yesterday. I used Cassia Obovata mixed with water, lemon juice as directed by the lady that I work with on the phone @ Medandi. My hair was/is a hot mess!!! I followed up with a deep condition with a ORS Pack. The texture of my hair was so bad that I washed my hair to today with a clarifying shampoo and deep conditioned with Keracare Humecto Tub. My hair is a litte better BUT not great. It took me 1 hour to get the "dreads" out. I lost a lot of hair.:eek: I am not a happy camper.............

Oh wow!! I didn't even THINK of that - ya'll aren't letting the henna DRY on your head, are you? You have to keep the henna moist - otherwise - ick, yeah. Sorry if this is a silly/obvious comment, but..... just in case.

I kept the Henna Moist but I guess we all won't have great results, I am still trying to get my hair back on track, I even cut almost 2 inches off my already short Twa, But O well it will grow out.LOL!!!

I kept it moist with a plastic cap and left it on for only 2 hours. My hair feels soooooo unlike itself, if that makes any sense!! O well, I bought 40.00 worth of the stuff so, I will probally mix it with my Keracare Humecto next and see how that works out. I had pizza and beer a lil while ago so- I am a happier camper now.:)

I am sorry to hear about the problems that the other ladies are having. I did not let it dry on my head.

I did notice that my hair seems to not respond to my normal conditioners, but it does respond to white girl conditioners, Garnier Fructis. What's up with that?

sunshinelady said:
:confused: I decided to do a henna straigthener from Mahaliee's review today. I used Hesh Mehandi henna, lime, coconut milk, and water and left it on for 4 hours. I have no idea what went wrong, but when I rinsed it out my hair was super hard. I knew that was normal, so I put Phyto Vital Force creme bath in my hair and let it stay for 15 minutes.

As I was rinsing out my hair, I started to feel where my hair had matted together in the crown and in the back. It took me two hours to get the dreads out. I think I still have a few, but my water started to get cold. I have no idea what I did wrong, but it was terrible. I lost a lot of hair. I guess no henna for me.

My hair is natural 4a/4b, tightly coiled.

I am not sure if this is your usual conditioner, but this very same conditioner made gave me dreadlocks when I was natural. (I am a true 4b with a sprinkling of 4a in the nape area). I had to wash my hair again after its first usage. To make matters worse, I had to throw away a brand new tub of conditioner that was $$$$.

Sorry this happened to you. Same thing happened to me. My hair was matted in some areas and it was also shedding more than normal.

I started panicking over here, thinking I had made a HUGE mistake.
I live by Scurl no drip moisturizer. This was the only thing that made my hair soft again. I DC'd four times after I henna'd and still it wasn't soft and I continued to have episodes of matted hair.

If all else fails, wash your hair, twist or braid it while it's wet and just spritz it with Scurl no drip moisturizer. (Maybe you can just pull it back in a pony tail or just lounge around the house on the weekend.) Your hair should return to normal after this.

Oh... I had to do a trim after I henna'd too. My hair is back to normal now, so the effects will definitely wear off.

Try the Scurl.

Last edited:
raeshan said:
If all else fails, wash your hair, twist or braid it while it's wet and just spritz it with Scurl no drip moisturizer. (Maybe you can just pull it back in a pony tail or just lounge around the house on the weekend.) Your hair should return to normal after this.

When I had my Aprhogee "dreadlocking incident", I could not comb my hair AT ALL. I put any and every moisturizer I could find in it, including a HUGE amount of shea butter body cream, and scraped it back into a braided bun as best I could. The next day I washed it lightly in the shower with shampoo (which I never use) and added conditioner and miraculously was able to comb it through. I think the shea butter softened it up. I still had to cut out a couple of dreads but thankfully I got to keep most :perplexed of my hair.

sunshinelady said:
Chocolate, try a cheapie conditioner marketed to white people. It's so weird that it works now.

Those Conditioners have been working, that is all alot of us use, Like suave,Aussie, VO5,White Rain, I never looked at them like that, I just used what works and smell good:D

Ima try the cheapie conditioners and see what happens. I washed and deep conditioned again today with Keracare Humecto, sit under the hooded dryer for drying and flat ironed with my Chi. My hair seems to be "back" to normal.

Thanks for the advice.

Lavonda

Back