Henna for color - RECIPES

Neith

Ok... I may be a henna idiot, but I find that I really need someone to walk me through this :lol: I've had a lot of questions that I haven't found the answers to in other threads.

My first henna treatment I don't think I got good dye release... it stained my hair weakly. I'm not sure if it's because my hair is dark and it the first treatment or if it was something I did.

Anyways, I thought it'd be cool just to have one place where everyone could list what they actually do to their henna :)

Type of henna used:
I mix it with:
I let it sit for:
I leave it in my hair for:
Other tips:

Type of henna used: Rajastani or Yemeni from henna sooq

I mix it with: water, a little grape juice and pectin

I let it sit for: 6 - 12 hours or until the color releases

I leave it in my hair for: 2 hours

Other tips: Pectin makes the henna mixed smooth. it also helps to prevent henna dryness and it makes rinsing out easy. my hair is soft after the initial rinse. I love pectin.

most of the time i use indigo after henna for jet black hair. if you ever decide to use indigo DO NOT mix indigo with pectin. i tried it once and it was like trying to get epoxy out of my hair.

try to keep your henna mix simple, too many additives inhibit dye uptake

Brilliant!

Type of henna used: Um, whatever kind FNWL sells. I think I might upgrade, if I can find a good bulk source for a not H4H price.
I mix it with: Equal amounts of water to mix, and then equal amounts of conditioner to apply (1/4 cup henna + 1/4 cup water, let color release, add 1/2 cup of conditioner)
I let it sit for: Usually no more than an hour.
I leave it in my hair for: Usually a minimum of 12 hours.
Other tips: If you put the henna on your hair as SOON as the color releases, the heat from your head will encourage the rest of the color to release, and it's releasing (and depositing) on your hair, rather than in the bowl. Henna is as easy as DC'ing, to me. :look:

OK, this is hopefully not a dumb question. Is there anyway to get black hair without having using indigo? I have this strip of white hair in my crown that is resistant to hair color.:blush: I need help with this because I'm going natural and need all the information on this I can get! :rolleyes: Thank you Neith for starting this thread!:notworthy

OK, this is hopefully not a dumb question. Is there anyway to get black hair without having using indigo? I have this strip of white hair in my crown that is resistant to hair color.:blush: I need help with this because I'm going natural and need all the information on this I can get! :rolleyes: Thank you Neith for starting this thread!:notworthy

No, you need the indigo for black. Henna only stains red.

You can't use the indigo without the henna because it leaves your hair looking very blue.

Henna = red
Henna+indigo = brows
Henna then indigo = black

8 tbsp Neutral Henna
250 ml Water
1 tgsp oil (olive, jojoba)
1 tbsp Lemon Juice
1 Egg

Source:
Book: Mixed Up
By: Ayesha Fleary/NajahFace
www.lulu.com

Last edited:
No, you need the indigo for black. Henna only stains red.

You can't use the indigo without the henna because it leaves your hair looking very blue.

Henna = red
Henna+indigo = brows
Henna then indigo = black

Is it hard to do the henna /indigo?:ohwell: Looks like I have no choice.:violin:

HEAT...you get better dye uptake. Sit under a hooded dryer, or use a heat cap, to get stronger color in less time. try 1-2 hours using heat.

8 tbsp Neutral Henna
250 ml Water
1 tgsp oil (olive, jojoba)
1 tbsp Lemon Juice
1 Egg

Source:
Book: Mixed Up
By: Ayesha Fleary/NajahFace
www.lulu.com

Neutral Henna as in cassia?

NajahFace as in you tube? I didn't know she writes books.

Is it hard to do the henna /indigo?:ohwell: Looks like I have no choice.:violin:

If you're ready to do henna, then doing indigo after is easy. After you rinse your henna out, you apply the indigo. Simple. :)

http://www.hennaforhair.com/freebooks/

I can't answer all the questions successfully because I haven't had too many successful hennas. I want to try Lush's Caca Rouge (since I work there I am always itching to buy), but I believe the red won't show up like I want it to. I am seriously tempted to add some beet juice to my mix or just give in to some Manic Panic Vampire Red. I'm digging the red so bad I can taste it

NajahFace as in you tube? I didn't know she writes books.

Yeah, she has a book and it's really good with simple recipes. I have purchsed indian powders recommended in her book; it's a good and simple source of natural hair care.

Neutral Henna as in cassia? Yes, but you can alter the recipe with a colored Henna. Just adjust the measurements for your personal needs:)

Last edited:
Back