Henna and Mega tek What I did wrong , Help me

Hello Everyone

Please check picture my damage hair in fotki and I edit my post Thanks.

On Saturday of last week, I did a henna treatment with Jamilla I got from an Indian store in ATL . After my treatment my hair was thick, shine and strong, very pretty. The next day I put my Mega Tek and Alma oil on the length of my hair on Sunday and Monday, without washing it out. Today I notice my right side of my head from the middle of my ear to nape my hair was gone. This is strange , My hair is damage really bad over night, I may have over protein my hair , how can this happen. Please help me any suggestion . :wallbash:

Please read

Top of this information came from Internet and then I add information at the bottom.

Hair that is suffering from a protein overload will be brittle and often dry despite conditioning efforts. It may be wise to hit that jam packed beauty cabinet and check the bottles of your favorite products so see what you're putting on your hair every day. Look for ingredients like silk protein, soy protein, silk amino acids, hydrolyzed collagen protein, wheat protein, or wheat amino acids. The general rule of thumb is that the closer to the top of list these items are the more of it there is inside the product. When you are looking for a new conditioner, check your products for strengthening, fortifying, anti-breakage, or repairing because these products are going to contain protein, and that what I was doing wrong. Also every product don’t work on your hair, educate yourself on how to care for your hair by reading Long hair Forum as well , internet , books, no one knows the right answer. Learned your hair type , I have thin fine hair and I learned too much protein will damage my hair, and if you have a medical diagnose ( diabetes ) as I do, educate your self on what is best for your hair.

I am stress out and blessed .

hair type thin fine short hair 4a/4b

Last edited:
I Also use Henna, Indigo and Mega-Tek, All on a Regular Basis. However, I just apply MT on the Scalp Only.

Even though I know my hair is seriously lacking Protein on every level, I know my Hair would never Tolerate Mega-Tek applied to the Length due to the weakened condition it is in.:nono:

I would recommend, Clarifying to get rid of any buildup from the MT. Then I would Deep Condition with Moisture. And you may want to try Baggying with something creamy as well.:yep:

I have found with Mega-Tek, I always have to Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize.

:bighug:Aww mama it seems as though you have a protein overload. Henna and Megatek are both strong proteins and shouldn't be used in combination. I believe that applying Megatek to the length of your hair and allowing it to saturate caused further damage. I would take the advice of IDareT'sHair.

Last edited:
I Also use Henna, Indigo and Mega-Tek, All on a Regular Basis. However, I just apply MT on the Scalp Only.

Even though I know my hair is seriously lacking Protein on every level, I know my Hair would never Tolerate Mega-Tek applied to the Length due to the weakened condition it is in.:nono:

I would recommend, Clarifying to get rid of any buildup from the MT. Then I would Deep Condition with Moisture. And you may want to try Baggying with something creamy as well.:yep:

I have found with Mega-Tek, I always have to Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize.

You are so right , I never did this befoe, Iwas so happy to see my hair growing , and forgot about how strong is the Mega Tek, thank for answering

Ypour are right Thanks

:bighug:Aww mama it seems as though you have a protein overload. Henna and Megatek are both strong proteins and shouldn't be used in combination. I believe that applying Megatek to the length of your hair and allowing it to saturate caused further damage.

You shouldn't have put the MT on the length of your hair, only on your scalp. Especially when using henna

Do a couple of overnight dc's with a moisturizing conditioner, that should help :yep:

You are so right , I never did this befoe, Iwas so happy to see my hair growing , and forgot about how strong is the Mega Tek, thank for answering

And you know Henna is pretty strong too! Even though it is not "technically" a protein, it acts like a protein.

So now you are in serious need of Moisture. I would definitely up my DC Treatments.:yep:

You shouldn't have put the MT on the length of your hair, only on your scalp. Especially when using henna

Do a couple of overnight dc's with a moisturizing conditioner, that should help :yep:

I doing one at this time , I will never put Mega Tek on length ever again, thank you

If you haven't already - you will probably end up having porosity issues as well, you may want to incorporate some porosity control before using moisturizing conditioner. When using henna it is better to wait a couple of weeks (IMO) before incorporating Mega Tek on the lengths of your hair.

Definitely up your moisturizing DCs and you may want to do some overnight as well. With regard to Mega-Tek - the only way I use it is as a deep conditioner after I shampoo. It can be applied to the lengths and throughout your hair as long as it used in moderation and follow up with a moisturizing dc...I do it and have not had any problems.

HTH

NEVER USE PROTEIN DIRECTLY BEFORE OR AFTER A HENNA TREATMENT! Can't stess that enough. Bad things happen when they are combined. One should separate the treatments by atleast a week. I've used rinse out conditioners that have a bit of protein in it to co-wash after henna treatments with no problem, but anything that is designed to restructure or rebuild your hair definitely contains a great deal of protein and shouldn't be used that closely with a henna treatment. Henna isn't a protein, but it enhances proteins strengthening affects, making them more potent, and that's potentially damaging to hair.

If you haven't already - you will probably end up having porosity issues as well, you may want to incorporate some porosity control before using moisturizing conditioner. When using henna it is better to wait a couple of weeks (IMO) before incorporating Mega Tek on the lengths of your hair.

Definitely up your moisturizing DCs and you may want to do some overnight as well. With regard to Mega-Tek - the only way I use it is as a deep conditioner after I shampoo. It can be applied to the lengths and throughout your hair as long as it used in moderation and follow up with a moisturizing dc...I do it and have not had any problems.

HTH

Thank for responding to my question, I am y following up with conditioning and moisturzing , and over night as well. We learn from our on mistake , I know better now thanksI guess

Last edited:

Balancedgoals I think just did too much too soon together.

Balancedg' :bighug: Sad, but this is how we learn.
It took me 2 and 1/2 years of horrible setbacks before I learned what my hair can take and not take.

Hang in there.

I am so sorry this happened to you. Maybe you can also try one of the steam treatments that have been posted. I don't know how to post the link, but if you search, you should be able to find info on the homemade steam treatments. Hope this helps!

I am so sorry this happened to you. Maybe you can also try one of the steam treatments that have been posted. I don't know how to post the link, but if you search, you should be able to find info on the homemade steam treatments. Hope this helps!

Yes I will check out In home treatment for hair.

NEVER USE PROTEIN DIRECTLY BEFORE OR AFTER A HENNA TREATMENT! Can't stess that enough. Bad things happen when they are combined. One should separate the treatments by atleast a week. I've used rinse out conditioners that have a bit of protein in it to co-wash after henna treatments with no problem, but anything that is designed to restructure or rebuild your hair definitely contains a great deal of protein and shouldn't be used that closely with a henna treatment. Henna isn't a protein, but it enhances proteins strengthening affects, making them more potent, and that's potentially damaging to hair.

Well said.:clapping:

I thought Megatek was supposed to be used on the length of the hair? Also, I learned that protien would help with porosity issues.

Can someone please explain?

Hi Everyone
Last night I did an over night paste on my hair with Amla, Shikakai, BHRINGRA , along with conditioner , and oils. I just wash it out and my hair feel soft. I purchased 2 minute reconstrution and balancing moisturizer from BS, I using them at this time. Please let me know , that I am on the right track repairing my damage hair, or suggest what product I should be using . Thanks

Last edited:
I thought Megatek was supposed to be used on the length of the hair? Also, I learned that protien would help with porosity issues.

Can someone please explain?

Yes, it is to be used on the length of the hair. I use Cell Therapy and sometime Mega-Tek and I haven't had a problem. I have been using Cell Therapy for more than a year. I apply the product like a conditioner and leave it on for an hour or more and then rinse it out.

In my opinion, most people who have setbacks are doing too much, too soon to their hair which WILL cause setbacks.

Yes, it is to be used on the length of the hair. I use Cell Therapy and sometime Mega-Tek and I haven't had a problem. I have been using Cell Therapy for more than a year. I apply the product like a conditioner and leave it on for an hour or more and then rinse it out.

In my opinion, most people who have setbacks are doing too much, too soon to their hair which WILL cause setbacks.

Agreed:yep:

Hi Everyone
Last night I did an over night paste on my hair with Amla, Shikakai, BHRINGRA , along with conditioner , and oils. I just wash it out and my hair feel soft. I purchased 2 minute reconstrution and balancing moisturizer from BS, I using them at this time. Please let me know , that I am on the right track repairing my damage hair, or suggest what product I should be using . Thanks

I'm not sure, but maybe someone will chime in.

My thought is that you may be over manipulating and over-treating your hair with natural product (Amla, Shikakai, etc) that can be very drying over time which will cause breakage.

I henna and indigo, and have been for over 2 years now, but I have to be careful to space these treatments out even though they are good for the hair. Before I learned how to properly henna/indigo, I had SERIOUS breakage as a result of overdoing it and my hairstylist suggested I stop.

I had been doing the treatments too often and using acids and too many additives to my mix (trying to do what everyone else was doing).

Only when I learned that I only needed water to mix and apply natural treatments to damp, freshly conditioned hair did I learn to do it right.

These treatments are good for the hair, but they yield better results when used less vigorously understanding that these products act as protein and can be detrimental.

I am not trying squash your enthusiasm, but please be careful.

I'm not sure, but maybe someone will chime in.

My thought is that you may be over manipulating and over-treating your hair with natural product (Amla, Shikakai, etc) that can be very drying over time which will cause breakage.

I henna and indigo, and have been for over 2 years now, but I have to be careful to space these treatments out even though they are good for the hair. Before I learned how to properly henna/indigo, I had SERIOUS breakage as a result of overdoing it and my hairstylist suggested I stop.

I had been doing the treatments too often and using acids and too many additives to my mix (trying to do what everyone else was doing).

Only when I learned that I only needed water to mix and apply natural treatments to damp, freshly conditioned hair did I learn to do it right.

These treatments are good for the hair, but they yield better results when used less vigorously understanding that these products act as protein and can be detrimental.

I am not trying squash your enthusiasm, but please be careful.

You are not squashing my enthusiasm , just helping, I will go back to just washing and conditioning my hair and stop natural for about a month, and see how this work. Thanks so much

Hi Everyone

That maybe a little too much going on...I think deep conditioning with moisturizing conditioners should be the objective - maybe incorporating the protein back in after about a couple of weeks or when you feel your hair is at its optimal moisture level (lack of a better word)

If nothing else - you want to keep it simple...

HTH

Balance-- Can I be a little forthcoming and say I think you are doing wayyy to much (sorry boo)... As others had suggested earlier in the thread, you should have just upped your moisture and DC game after this event. I do realize some people dont know as much about ayurvedic powders as they should before using them.

These powders, even ones that are moisturizing, are often very strong. Brahmi, bhringraj, shikaikai, amla, I use all of them. I also have Ovation Cell Therapy and Mega-Tek which I have always applied only to my scalp. When I wanted a protein treatment, rather I should say needed one, I would use either or, but NEVER both because you can really tell--if you are doing the ayurvedic rinses properly--that after a rinse, the hair feels very strong, like you can pull a truck, but also squeeky, needing moisture... That is a protein-like product, and after using these products, henna as well--which I have used--I do some serious deep conditioning, like overnight and with heat.

The 2 minute reconstructor is also protein, and even though you tried to balance it with the balancing conditioner, you still just added more protein to your hair which was not needed. It is possible you could have potentially made the problem even worse by doing these treatments after the fact that your hair was most likely seriously overloaded with protein. So IMHO, I would like echo what the other ladies have said, and that is to focus on moisture, moisture, moisture! It can't be said enough... And doing this weekly for awhile until your hair is restored is highly suggested... I hope this helps you a lot because I hate to see your setback, I definitely know what that feels like!

Happy hair growing!

Back