Help!

lookingforkeona

My small 4a coils are constantly getting tangled and knotting into each other which is causing breakage and shedding and idk what to do about it anymore!

My question is should I start cowashing and detangling everyday? I'm still in the TWA stage so it wouldn't be too much of a hassle.
Would this cause more harm than good? Anyone know any good moisturizing/detangling products besides conditioner? I tried detangling with conditioner once and it was impossible.

I'm at my wits end and don't want anymore damage caused my these little knots!

Sorry to hear of your trouble. I an sure you wi get some dreat advice.

My advice would be to stretch your hair and manipulate as little as possbile.

My hair does this in the back, so I feel your pain. I've found that the only way to handle is to leave it to coil (wash and go or puff/bun) or stretch it out while wet and leave it to dry (braid, band or flat twist). Fighting the coils leads to breakage.

I usually only style on wash day, then leave it alone the rest of the week. I detangle in the shower with a herbal essence totally twisted conditioner or trader joes tea tree tingle. First I use my fingers, then I use a long wide tooth comb if more detangling is necessary. I don't detangle to get it straight, just to get the shed hairs out and avoid it locking up.

For leave-ins, curl junkie smoothing lotion is awesome at detangling, but high in glycerin. Oyin hair dew is my other fav, but it is not much of a detangler. Then I style with a styler.

ETA - Make sure you detangle in smaller sections. I usually divide my hair in 4, then divide each of the two back sections in 2-4 smaller sections.

The 4a is actually the most difficult texture on my head imo. The 4b on my edges is easy to detangle and molds to any braided or twisted style. The 3c in my front is easy to detangle and hangs well. The 4a in the back fights me every step of the way.

Last edited:
My hair does this in the back, so I feel your pain. I've found that the only way to handle is to leave it to coil (wash and go or puff/bun) or stretch it out while wet and leave it to dry (braid, band or flat twist). Fighting the coils leads to breakage.

I usually only style on wash day, then leave it alone the rest of the week. I detangle in the shower with a herbal essence totally twisted conditioner or trader joes tea tree tingle. First I use my fingers, then I use a long wide tooth comb if more detangling is necessary. I don't detangle to get it straight, just to get the shed hairs out and avoid it locking up.

For leave-ins, curl junkie smoothing lotion is awesome at detangling, but high in glycerin. Oyin hair dew is my other fav, but it is not much of a detangler. Then I style with a styler.

ETA - Make sure you detangle in smaller sections. I usually divide my hair in 4, then divide each of the two back sections in 2-4 smaller sections.

The 4a is actually the most difficult texture on my head imo. The 4b on my edges is easy to detangle and molds to any braided or twisted style. The 3c in my front is easy to detangle and hangs well. The 4a in the back fights me every step of the way.

This is great advice! My 4a hair is becoming so difficult as it grows. My hair is very thick but it sheds a lot so the shed hair gets tangled in and knots. Otherwise I wouldn't care too much about detangling. I so wish I had 4b hair sometimes. Coils are rough.

Back