help with transition

Glamorous_chic

hi ladies. i've been transitioning for 5 months now, while trying to make bsl as well. the transition was going smooth, but now, its getting a little tough. i've tried bunning my hair, and wet bunning, but my hair just ends up looking unkempt. i've tried rollersetting, but it turns out being a disaster, and i end up loosing alot of hair in my failed attempt. i've tried airdrying in a ponytail but my hair hates hairdrying and ends up breaking off horribly. i'm at my wits end now, and am considering getting braids for the next few months. i looked at myself in the mirror, and my reaction was :nono:. i'm getting :wallbash: i'm hoping to be a longterm transitioner, any words of advice??

When I was 5 months into my transition I think that's when I started doing twistouts. I did those with Fantasia IC gel. I don't remember what leave-in I used - I think I was using Nexxus.

Maybe you can try a twistout or braidout?

When I was 5 months into my transition I think that's when I started doing twistouts. I did those with Fantasia IC gel. I don't remember what leave-in I used - I think I was using Nexxus.

Maybe you can try a twistout or braidout?

possibly, only thing is i dont know how to braid. :perplexed ugh, i understand what other posters stated about how hard it gets at this stage. i've tried watching youtube videos, and it just doesnt come out right at all. :nono:

Please keep trying braidouts and twistouts, as you can see in my siggy, they are a huge part of my transition. I'm 9 months post and I still do them. A braidout a week ago:

Checkout Mook's cornrow tutorial here: http://video.fotki.com/Mooks-hair/
A flat twist tutorial on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYKugFF04jI

For now, why don't you bun using the scarf method? After applying your leave in to damp hair, put your hair in a ponytail (or not) and lay down your hair with a scarf, when your hair's dry, your edges are laid down nicely. Or try headbands and scarves, in my siggy you see I have scarves for my twistout and braidout. This was my hair @ 29.5 weeks post with a headband:

HTH
Goodluck!!! Keep us posted.

keep practicing! i am very style impaired but as the months have gone by i have been practicing the heck out of flat twisting and cornrowing and even though i may think they look very less than perfect quite a few people do comment and say oooooo and i feel like if only you knew what this style was meant to look like lol
for now i would stick to simple styles like mummysgirl suggested but keep practicing the other styles :)

thanks ladies for your words of advice. i was considering maybe just geting kinky twist or singalese twist. i've tried the scarf method as well, and i've tried using aloe vera gel and the ic olive gel. i feel like my hair has finally started rebelling. the problem is i have eye level cut bangs that are now half relaxed half natural, so it's a buff ball. i've tried flat ironing just the bang, and the ends are straight, but again the firsthalf is a poofball. so i ended up just wearing it all the way back in a wet pony with a scarf (i do this to protect my hair anyways). and the top of my head just poofs up. (b/c my bangs are still short. and what i saw this morning) i've worn a headband to keep the puff down, but the hard one's give me headaches, and the elastic ones slide off my head, i cant continue going to work like that or being seen in public. lol. i bought a wig, and had it thinned out, so it would look more natural, but my friends looked at me like i was nuts, like why are you wearing a wig, and when i showed them the alternative, they even looked horrified. lolol. so since i do work in a professional environment, i dont want to walk around looking like that. sorry for the vent, i feel like i've been through alot with this hair. anyways, i was going to get my hair braided today, but i'm gonna try my curlformers again, and hope they turn out okay. we'll see. if not, i'll try the braid outs i really dont know what else to do and may resort to braiding next week. it seems like my hairstyles never turn out the way they're supposed to look, and i end up loosing soo much hair in the process that im scared to keep trying.

Last edited:
I'm 5 months into my transition and I'm thinking about getting kinky twists, as well. I need a style where I can get up and go.

I would suggest the scarf method for getting your hair smooth when wearing buns or ponytails. That involves putting a scarf over your hair while it's wet (after you put in your bun/ponytail) to help lay down the edges of your hair. A little gel, like IC Fantasia, can help.

Why don't u try a braid out bun. It should last at least 5 days if you use the right products. Also a textured bun; blowdrying your hair and then then puttin it in a high, textured bun.

I'm 5 months into my transition and I haven't used direct heat the entire time. My suggestions are:
twisted bantu knot outs: For the first ~3 months of my transition, my staple style was twisted bantu knot outs. I used shea butter on the ends and alternated bw a setting spray/mousse, IC gel and no product (aside from my leave in). pic 1- my first twisted bantu knot out, pic 2 - updo with hairpins

half wigs: For the last 2 months or so, I've been wearing a half wig. I felt like I always had my hands in my hair and was tiring of doing it 2x a week, so this has been a great option for me. When I first got it, I was slightly taken aback by its volume, but it's been tamed. :lol: Between head bands and clips, I can wear it in various styles. I wear it like it's my real hair (pony tails, buns) so it doesn't look wiggy (at least, no one's told me it does) and it's suitable for more conservative occasions. pic below and attached pic 3 - first days of wearing half wig

Attachments

• bantu knot twist out.jpg
    bantu knot twist out.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMAG0422.jpg
    IMAG0422.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMAGE_432.jpg
    IMAGE_432.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the suggestions however I've realized my hair just hates being air dried. I was trying not to use heat but this morning I blowdried and my hair looked amazing. Not like this mess I've been rocking all week.

Rosa, I have a wig similar to yours, and had it cit to fit my face, but I don't wear it to work. I decided to just get some braids for a while, bc I need a break from my hair.

Back