Help with Relaxer strand test.

s_terry

Hey ladies, please help me determine what's the best way to do a strand test on a relaxer. I plan on relaxing with a Salerm Normal. Maybe I should go mild? I have used S curl mild and my hair still looks very kinky so I was thinking I needed something a little stronger? I keep asking about this relaxer and apparently no one has tried it. I spoke with a lady at ibeautyny and she informed me that this is similar to affirm and mizani. I am still trying to make up my mind as to whether I will use this relaxer or the orgininal Vitale Life and Body with Aloe due to to reviews on this boad. If I go with the Salerm, which I am strongly leaning towards, I promise to post a review and get pics.

So here is my dilemma, I am currently very lightly text with S-Curl lye texturizer. My hair is still nappy, but due to several months of new growth (3-4) I can tell the difference in kinkness between the currently texted hair and my new growth. I need to do a strand test to determine how long to process.
How do I do this? Do I have to cut some hair out to do it?

Also, how can I tell with the relaxer in if it's straightened enough with the relaxer still in it? I do not plan on going bone straight at all. Salerm has some vials that I plan on protecting the already texted hair with. I am hoping this will prevent over processing. I will be doing a corrective on this area to get it more straight

I HAVE to do this on my own ya''ll. I will attempt to relax in four sections to prevent over processing like shared here on the boards. I am sooo over trusting stylist since I have had to cut all my hair off twice in 4 years time due to them jacking up my hair! I just can't take that risk anymore. If I ruin my hair at least it will be on me. :(

Please share your tecniques on how to do a proper and correct results strand test.

Thanks so much for your help.

Last edited:
Use a small section of hair in an inconspicuous area for your strand test. It should be an area that is easy to isolate but also easy to view results, perhaps behind your ear. You should be able to tell the general level of texturization with the relaxer on the test hair, but if unsure, try wiping or rinsing it off. Keep in mind that different areas may require different processing times.

Back