Help with Regimen/ Considering a Relaxer

Momstar

Hello all,

I haven't been on here in a long time (which could explain some things). For a time I had some serious breakage the whole back of my head seem to break off (there were no bulbs so it wasn't a growth problem, it was definitely breakage) to a less serious breakage issue.. It seems to happen in cycles from a big spot to no spots to a small spot. My hair is very sensitive so it is imporant for me to pay close attention in order for it be healthy.During all the breakage I wanted to avoid my hair via wigs but now I'm ready to get back on the wagon and get it healthy and gain some swinging length.

I haven't been doing much for the past 8 months except weaves,braids and press and curls. The protective styles helped to let my hair rest and grow back for the most part. Unfortunately I have been careless about how I let stylists treat my hair as far as combing it roughly-from the scalp down and with a tiny comb to not blow drying it in sections as I have 4a hair. I have noticed breakage in the back again in the middle. So I need to get serious with my hair again.
My regimen basically consists of monthly or biweekly visits to a salon for either a press and curl w/tracks or cornrows. In between salon visits I apply sulfur and coconut oil to my edges and places where I have breakage. When I have a press and curl I don't do anything to moisturize my hair and when I have braids I spritz with infusium 23 and/or sta sof fro for moisture and protein.
I don't think I want to go back to press and curls because I can't work out with it or put water on it.
I am considering getting a mild relaxer so I can wash it more at home and do wash and go styles or even in the salon do a wrap and blow out kind of thing.I'm tempted to do it myself but then I don't want to mess anything up.

I'm concerned that if I do get the relaxer it may cause more breakage in the back but at the same time I would lose less hair during the comb-out and blow drying process.
Another reason I am tempted to do it myself is because I can add things and wash it off sooner than a stylist would, because I don't want it bone straight. Just straight enough to do a blow out or wrap, because I don 't want it to break off. If anyone has any tips or suggestions I would greatly appreciate it . Seeing the pictures of members here also makes me feel like I can be successful with a relaxer if I do the right thing.

I WOULDNT GET A RELAXER IF I WERE YOU. ID CONSIDER DOING THE BC:spinning:

WHEN I WAS 15 I HAD PROBLEMS WITH ONE SIDE BEING LONGER THEN THE OTHER, IT CAME BACK JUST RECENTLY BUT I CUTE THE LONGER SIDE, RELAXERS ARE TOO MUCH FOR ME :yawn:

I first noticed my breaking problems in high school too. What's a bc?

Oh the " big chop". I 've done that before I'm trying to go a little less drastic this time. Maybe a big cut.

It's important to wash, condition, moisturize, and seal your hair even when you are wearing protective styles. It sounds like you may not have been doing all of this, which would explain why you were having breakage problems. A relaxer will not solve your breakage problems if you continue your current routine.

Last edited:
Moisture, moisture, moisture. Give your hair a rest and just moisturize it lots. Ever since I started making my own stuff, no more breakage. Just be patient and consistent.

Thanks for the tips. I really don't want to cut off all my hair, so i'll try to make an effort to wash and condition more and keep my protective styles and see how it goes. It'll be mainly a matter of making time for my hair

Back