Help with Moisture

thehairmaverick

Hey Ladies!

Newbie here, coming out of lurkdom :drunk:. I'm a 4a natural and I was wondering what moisturizers you guys are using. I really wanted some suggestions before I buy anything else that doesn't work. I hate not having a regimen after being natural for a year:sad:. i've tried water and glycerin, but I heard that its not good for the winter months. Right now I'm using KBB Hair milk. It makes my hair feel so soft as first, but later its really dry. I've tried coconut oil and shea butter (and I do love them:yep:), but those are only good for sealing:ohwell:. My hair just feel greasy. Other than water, do you ladies have any suggestions?

I don't want to be a product junkie, and I know what works for some may not work for others, but there are thousands of products out there and I don't even know where to start:spinning:

Have you tried using a deep conditioner as a moisturiser? Such as aussie 3 minute miracle.
It might make your hair over moistrised if you use it too much but you can fix that with regular washing and maybe some protien.

Have you tried using a deep conditioner as a moisturiser? Such as aussie 3 minute miracle.
It might make your hair over moistrised if you use it too much but you can fix that with regular washing and maybe some protien.
Well i have tried aussie moist conditioner and it was decent...so maybe the 3 minute miracle would work a little better:yep:

i'm having the SAME problem.
i bc'd a few days ago & i have a TWA now. i'm in desperate need of long lasting moisture. i didnt know about the glycerin not working during the winter until after i bought it & tried it yesterday but atleast i'll already have a bottle for the spring.

:ohwell:

I like Kinky Curly Knot Today and Qhemet Biologics Burdock Root Butter Cream. Both keep my hair moisturized. I'm a 4a natural too.

There's sooooo many threads on this. Did you do a search?
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=373567

Of course I have to recommend Qhemet Biologics. I like the Burdock Root Butter Cream the best in conjunction with the hydrating balm. :lick: Elasta QP Mango Butter. Giovanni Direct Leave In (not a really heavy moisturizer, but it is nice). There are tons more!! Right now I'm trying to rely more on my deep conditioning for moisture rather than leave-in products, but those are the ones I have used (and I have tried many) and I like them the most currently.

i bc'd a few days ago & i have a TWA now. i'm in desperate need of long lasting moisture. i didnt know about the glycerin not working during the winter until after i bought it & tried it yesterday but atleast i'll already have a bottle for the spring.

Exactly! Everything I have tried only lasts a few hours...and then I'm dry again.

Hey Ladies!

Newbie here, coming out of lurkdom :drunk:. I'm a 4a natural and I was wondering what moisturizers you guys are using. I really wanted some suggestions before I buy anything else that doesn't work. I hate not having a regimen after being natural for a year:sad:. i've tried water and glycerin, but I heard that its not good for the winter months. Right now I'm using KBB Hair milk. It makes my hair feel so soft as first, but later its really dry. I've tried coconut oil and shea butter (and I do love them:yep:), but those are only good for sealing:ohwell:. My hair just feel greasy. Other than water, do you ladies have any suggestions?

I don't want to be a product junkie, and I know what works for some may not work for others, but there are thousands of products out there and I don't even know where to start:spinning:

What's your current regimen? Do you do lots of wash and gos?

I suggest making your own spritz (it could be as simple as using some cheapy condish or leave in with water) and a hair butter. I suggest spritzing your hair, getting in between the roots, and evenly distributing throughout. Section your hair throughout and seal with a lighter butter ( I can only suggest Karen Body Beautiful butters and Darcy's Botanicals Madagascar Creme which are great for the winter months. I also love Qhemet butters. You can even use Elasta QP Mango Butter.

The leave in alone will not add moisture to your hair. It will help with keeping it soft and detangled, but you will need to add a lighter butter to your routine for moisture. If you still lack moisture, add an oil like grapeseed or jojoba oil. But remember, adding moisture must be done on slightly dampened hair, especially for us naturals. So make sure to spritz before you use the butters/oils. :)

Last edited:
How to Soften 4a/b hair

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=360678

Best Deep Conditioners for 4a/b hair

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=325457

List of Cone free Conditioners

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=196051

These are some of the MOST usefull threads I have come across! In these threads I discovered how to moisturize my hair without it being greasy or oily to the touch like shea butter did :(

I use a lot of spritz like aphogee pro vit and aphogee green tea mist and S-curl. I seal that with argan oil or coconut oil. And I learned less is more I use very lil of the products I listed.

For the winter I do the same just mid week I may drench my hair in oil (let the oil sit for an hour or 2) then do a cowash and let my hair air dry in plaits overnight. Gurl let me tell you my hair is sooooo soft.

But read the above thread and see what works for your hair. It is gonna take a lil trial and error as im sure you know.

HTH!

There's sooooo many threads on this. Did you do a search?
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=373567

Of course I have to recommend Qhemet Biologics. I like the Burdock Root Butter Cream the best in conjunction with the hydrating balm. :lick: Elasta QP Mango Butter. Giovanni Direct Leave In (not a really heavy moisturizer, but it is nice). There are tons more!! Right now I'm trying to rely more on my deep conditioning for moisture rather than leave-in products, but those are the ones I have used (and I have tried many) and I like them the most currently.

...:rolleyes: why didn't I think of that before...I didn't even think about doing a search! I forget about the search box all the time:wallbash:

That's sooo weird. I'm a natural 3c/4a and used glycerin with shea butter below my KCCC this morning and my curls are SUPER DUPER defined. I did a wash and go.

Are you all sure it can't be used in winter months? Or does that rule only apply if used on dry hair?

What's your current regimen? Do you do lots of wash and gos?

I suggest making your own spritz (it could be as simple as using some cheapy condish or leave in with water) and a hair butter. I suggest spritzing your hair, getting in between the roots, and evenly distributing throughout. Section your hair throughout and seal with a lighter butter ( I can only suggest Karen Body Beautiful butters and Darcy's Botanicals Madagascar Creme which are great for the winter months. I also love Qhemet butters. You can even use Elasta QP Mango Butter.

The leave in alone will not add moisture to your hair. It will help with keeping it soft and detangled, but you will need to add a lighter butter to your routine for moisture. If you still lack moisture, add an oil like grapeseed or jojoba oil. But remember, adding moisture must be done on slightly dampened hair, especially for us naturals. So sure to spritz before you use the butters/oils. :)

Well, right now I'm trying to build a regimen. This past week I co-washed with a cheap V05 conditioner. I have removed all sulfate shampoos and everything with silicones. I only co-wash once a week (or twice if my scalp is itchy). I would then use the KBB hair milk first, then apply the coconut oil, and then seal the ends with shea butter....I will def try the water and conditioner for a spritz, and the Elasta QP mango butter. I have the KBB hair butter, but it left a white residue :ohwell:

pre-poo with heat on dry hair then shampoo and condtion. I use palm oil, mayo/oil/mollasses, or condish/molasses then I detangle with a kbb milk or nectar as a leave-in and put afroveda shea alma on my ends and plait it up cause I'm wigging it. I let it air-dry or the next day if its a little damp I quickly run an dryer all over before stepping out into the cold.

How to Soften 4a/b hair

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=360678

Best Deep Conditioners for 4a/b hair

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=325457

List of Cone free Conditioners

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=196051

These are some of the MOST usefull threads I have come across! In these threads I discovered how to moisturize my hair without it being greasy or oily to the touch like shea butter did :(

I use a lot of spritz like aphogee pro vit and aphogee green tea mist and S-curl. I seal that with argan oil or coconut oil. And I learned less is more I use very lil of the products I listed.

For the winter I do the same just mid week I may drench my hair in oil (let the oil sit for an hour or 2) then do a cowash and let my hair air dry in plaits overnight. Gurl let me tell you my hair is sooooo soft.

But read the above thread and see what works for your hair. It is gonna take a lil trial and error as im sure you know.

HTH!

Thanks for the thread links...I've tried using oils for pre-poo's before...I will try this when I co-wash instead :yep:

Well, right now I'm trying to build a regimen. This past week I co-washed with a cheap V05 conditioner. I have removed all sulfate shampoos and everything with silicones. I only co-wash once a week (or twice if my scalp is itchy). I would then use the KBB hair milk first, then apply the coconut oil, and then seal the ends with shea butter....I will def try the water and conditioner for a spritz, and the Elasta QP mango butter. I have the KBB hair butter, but it left a white residue :ohwell:

Try her hair cream. But if you're not interested, try either Qhemet, Afroveda or Darcy's Botanical butters. I know each business has an extensive line of products but its all about trial and error in finding what works for you and your napps. :)

That's sooo weird. I'm a natural 3c/4a and used glycerin with shea butter below my KCCC this morning and my curls are SUPER DUPER defined. I did a wash and go.

Are you all sure it can't be used in winter months? Or does that rule only apply if used on dry hair?

Glycerin and other humectants can be used in winter months, depending on the dew point or humidity level in your environment. If it's very dry and there is a lot of dry heat used, the humectants may draw moisture from your hair if they can't get it from the air. I believe all humectants behave this way, honey, castor oil, molasses, panthenol, ect.

I still use my humectants with great results. (by the way KCCC contains agave nectar, which is a humectant) HTH

Last edited:
I use and :love: Qhemet Biologics’s Olive & Honey Hydrating Balm & Qhemet Biologics’s Burdock Root Butter Cream; The moisturising combination of the Qhemet Biologics product’s works wonderfully for my hair; it feel’s soo soft and hydrated all day. I seal with Black Jamaican castor thinned with a little avocado oil; this Seals in moisture and makes my hair feel so soft!

Lastly I use ACV as a final rinse (75ml of ACV to 1 Litre of spring water); After incorporating this as my final step, honestly, my hair was soo soft, smooth, locked-in more moisture and was virtually tangle free. This is amongst some of the most important steps in my regimen that I've learned on this forum :cloud9:.

Last edited:

Perhaps you're not getting enough moisture when you DC? Using Vo5 just once a week may not be enough for you...It certainly isn't for me. Even though i'm relaxed, I DC once a week with something that penetrates the hair shaft. I rotate Evco, Evoo, Macademia nut oil, etc. Up your DC game :)

Sometimes more consistent deep conditioning can help with moisture levels. What deep conditioner do you use? Also, you may need to clarify...maybe you have build up on your hair? If nothing is working, maybe you need to clarify?

Sometimes more consistent deep conditioning can help with moisture levels. What deep conditioner do you use? Also, you may need to clarify...maybe you have build up on your hair? If nothing is working, maybe you need to clarify?

:look:I don't have a deep conditioner(I know that's not good). BUT I have added olive oil to my VO5 Conditioner before, I guess it wasn't enough. I'm going to use my mother heating cap now that I am home for the winter break. If a DC won't work, I will definitely get a clarifying shampoo.

:look:I don't have a deep conditioner(I know that's not good). BUT I have added olive oil to my VO5 Conditioner before, I guess it wasn't enough. I'm going to use my mother heating cap now that I am home for the winter break. If a DC won't work, I will definitely get a clarifying shampoo.

Ok, invest in a deep conditioner!! And deep condition. There are just soo many options for deep conditioners. Aubreys organics honeysuckle rose or white camelia may be a good place to start. These have rave reviews across the board. Remember, with DCing, you may not notice more moisture after the DC, but if you are consistent with it, the state of your hair will get better.

I've got coarse 4a hair, and a crapload of it :grin:. When I first started my journey, I did a good clarifying treatment, and I now deep condition every week under a steamer. My hair craves protein, so I alternate a DC one week with a protein treatment and DC the next week. I finish with an acv rinse as well, then use KBB Hair Milk and follow with QB Amla and Olive Heavy Cream mixed with the Hydrating Balm, and seal with an Afroveda oil. That gives me sustained moisture, but I also spritz my hair lightly every morning and night and seal with oil, usually a mix I made myself. I keep my hair in twists and just spray the twists, and gently scrunch oil in the ends.

I've got coarse 4a hair, and a crapload of it :grin:. When I first started my journey, I did a good clarifying treatment, and I now deep condition every week under a steamer. My hair craves protein, so I alternate a DC one week with a protein treatment and DC the next week. I finish with an acv rinse as well, then use KBB Hair Milk and follow with QB Amla and Olive Heavy Cream mixed with the Hydrating Balm, and seal with an Afroveda oil. That gives me sustained moisture, but I also spritz my hair lightly every morning and night and seal with oil, usually a mix I made myself. I keep my hair in twists and just spray the twists, and gently scrunch oil in the ends.

Hmmm thats a good idea! My hair loves protein! I think i will alternate too:yep:

Ok, invest in a deep conditioner!! And deep condition. There are just soo many options for deep conditioners. Aubreys organics honeysuckle rose or white camelia may be a good place to start. These have rave reviews across the board. Remember, with DCing, you may not notice more moisture after the DC, but if you are consistent with it, the state of your hair will get better.

Will do! I wanted to try the white camelia, but I didn't buy it while i was at Whole Foods..i will go back and get it!

kbb hair milk is a great leave in and then you should seal with the shea and coconut oil mix. thats great right there.

but if you want to buy something else then go with the qhemet heavy cream or oyin handmade whipped pudding. its not textured like a pudding at all, its a really thick cream.

Back