Help!!!! Whenever I detangle, I ALWAYS lose wayyyy toooo much hair...!!!

Try oiling your scalp with a little castor oil mixed with other oils. Use an applicator for this. Oiling my scalp gets to the new growth and is very effective at making it easier to detangle. I detangle under the shower stream with A LOT of conditioner and do it in sections using the water pressure for slippage also. I'm only 4 months post right now but my hair is prone to tangling and grows quite fast.

How about laying off the hair mayo for a while. Just use it once in a while.

I agree with this! Let me tell you about some protein conditioners like hair mayo, they don't have alot of slip and when I use them I find that I have to detangle again after or there is going to be some issues and I need a super moisturizing conditioner after. Not every conditioner is going to work for your hair and if tangles are the issue you are going to need stuff with slip. I am not saying to bypass protein but just keep in mind that you may need an extra detangling step after using them. Have you ever tried Alter Ego Garlic Treatment (that's my boo). It has alot of slip and is one of the best conditioners I have ever tried.

I ALSO ADD OIL LIKE MYRONNIE WROTE. ALSO I AGREE WITH TAMIN ANF MONTEGO BAY BABY WHEN I STARTED USING LESS PROTEIN AND MORE MOISTURE MY HAIR IMPROVED
YOU HAVE A GREAT REGIMEN MAYBE TWEAK THE PROTEIN MOISTURE BALANCE

Try oiling your scalp with a little castor oil mixed with other oils. Use an applicator for this. Oiling my scalp gets to the new growth and is very effective at making it easier to detangle. I detangle under the shower stream with A LOT of conditioner and do it in sections using the water pressure for slippage also. I'm only 4 months post right now but my hair is prone to tangling and grows quite fast.

:look: Do you deep condition with heat? Also, are you adding more conditioner before detangling in the shower? Your hair is gorgeous....!!! That's where I want to be. Right now I'm a very thin BSL.

Last edited:
I agree with this! Let me tell you about some protein conditioners like hair mayo, they don't have alot of slip and when I use them I find that I have to detangle again after or there is going to be some issues and I need a super moisturizing conditioner after. Not every conditioner is going to work for your hair and if tangles are the issue you are going to need stuff with slip. I am not saying to bypass protein but just keep in mind that you may need an extra detangling step after using them. Have you ever tried Alter Ego Garlic Treatment (that's my boo). It has alot of slip and is one of the best conditioners I have ever tried.

I will try the garlic treatment. I'll do anything right now to avoid losing hair. :ohwell:

I have detangling issues as well. I have found that Taliah Wajiid (sp?) Black Shampoo and conditioner helps me out tremendously. It makes my hair super soft and easier to deal with. I think it would be worth giving it a shot.

I get breakage too. So I decided even less manipulation is best for me. Then I learned that my comb was also a culprit. It wasnt seamless. Instead of my usual DC's and CW's all week, I only DC once a week (for now) braid it up for the week and put on my half wig. I know what you mean about alot of breakage, since I can't seem to avoid it i've resorted to not touching my hair until it time to detangle.

This is exactly what I do. Manuapulation was causing me to thin out. So when I have a fresh perm, I wash once or twice a week. Moisturize my hair, put on my half wig and forget about it. I may take off the half wig once or twice to moisturize again. When I have more new growth. I wash twice a week.

I also loose less her when I comb my hair before I put the water in it. My hair was growing but I was not retaining lenght because of breakage (and other stuff I do to my hair). Now, I don't even worry about growth, I only care about reducing breaking. I can't put stuff on my scalp every night for growth cause that's manupulation that causes my hair to break. I hate popping pills. So reducing breaking is my friend.

I have fine hair and when I feel like I am going to have "detangling" issues, I will use the Joico K-Pak Leave In Reconstructor. I find that protein leave ins really help with the breakage issues while strengthening at the same time...The other ones I use is Kerastase (HG) and Paul Mitchell Super Strong Liquid Leave In....

HTH

I was thinking the same thing yesterday when I read this post. I experince the same thing when I was protein overloading. Too much protein will cause a lot of tangling. It just sounds like you need to find the right moisturize/protein balance. Hope things work out!

I have fine hair and when I feel like I am going to have "detangling" issues, I will use the Joico K-Pak Leave In Reconstructor. I find that protein leave ins really help with the breakage issues while strengthening at the same time...The other ones I use is Kerastase (HG) and Paul Mitchell Super Strong Liquid Leave In....

HTH

Thank you soooo much! I have the following protein leave-ins:
Lacio Lacio
HE LTR
Motions

Looks like I'll be using them while stretching...!!!

I was thinking the same thing yesterday when I read this post. I experince the same thing when I was protein overloading. Too much protein will cause a lot of tangling. It just sounds like you need to find the right moisturize/protein balance. Hope things work out!

:ohwell: That is so true but hard to find out...

SherylTresses...

Forgive me if someone else said this to you and I missed a post, but if you are having breakage issues, a conditioner with ceramides in it is a great way to stop the breakage in its tracks (or at least by the 2md wash to slow it down significantly).

While we were in Britain, I used a L'Oreal conditioner that saved my hair. It's a leave-in. In the end...while it was growing out again and the breakage was slowing, I still BC.

By the 2nd time I washed, I had only 5-10 hairs in the shower and I used roller sets to keep hair on my head.

I hope this is helpful...

cj

Hair Mayo + egg = tangly hair for me... all the time :nono:
I'd pre-poo with a cholesterol product + oils instead... great slip guaranteed. :yep:

:look: Do you deep condition with heat? Also, are you adding more conditioner before detangling in the shower? Your hair is gorgeous....!!! That's where I want to be. Right now I'm a very thin BSL.

No I've never deep conditioned with heat before. This is what I do on a wash day:
Oil scalp with ayurvedic oil mix (castor, avocado, with a lil' shikakai, brahmi, amla, and mustard seed oils)
Overnight deep condition with deep conditioners mixed with kalpi tone, amla/brahmi powders.
Wash with heenara hair wash powder+conditioner mix.
Tea rinse with Kalpi tone tea (with essential oils)
Add VO5 Free Me Freesia to my hair and detangle under the shower stream.

I use henna a lot maybe like bimonthly. If you add a teaspoon to your deep conditoiner mix and DC overnight it'll do wonders too.

I do a garlic prepoo sometimes to prevent shedding. I also detangle before I wash and put my hair in 6-9 plaits and wahs it like that. I have to use some type of moisture whether its conditioner or water to comb through. I have been using a concoction of juices and berries, water, silk peptide powder and msm ( just threw that in there lol) When first I used it, I hadn't combed my hair for a while. I expected to lose a lot of hair. I lost some but not nearly as much as usual.

I detangle in the shower which tons of cheapie conditioner like VO5 on a regular basis... and if I'm really washing my hair, like using shampoo and the matching condish, I will use that conditioner. I use a Wide tooth shower comb with rounded ends of the teeth b/c I have another comb whose teeth scratch my scalp and break me hair off... so rounded teeth is the key. I start from the bottom and work my way up my hair whilst under running water...

The amount of hair I lose depends on when was the last time I detangled... if I haven't washed in a week, I lose a small dogs worth of hair... (J/k, but when rolled into a ball my lost hair is about the size of a quarter (coin))... If I co wash every couple of days I lose a few hairs here and there (all shed, non broken)

This is my after shower detanging method http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmtRjIgg_lE
this is the time I apply leave ins... I found apply some hair oil then combing makes detangling ssooo much easier b/c the combs glides through...

In this video I am like 5 months post or so. I dont really keep track of when I get relaxers.

HTH

I detangle in the shower which tons of cheapie conditioner like VO5 on a regular basis... and if I'm really washing my hair, like using shampoo and the matching condish, I will use that conditioner. I use a Wide tooth shower comb with rounded ends of the teeth b/c I have another comb whose teeth scratch my scalp and break me hair off... so rounded teeth is the key. I start from the bottom and work my way up my hair whilst under running water...

The amount of hair I lose depends on when was the last time I detangled... if I haven't washed in a week, I lose a small dogs worth of hair... (J/k, but when rolled into a ball my lost hair is about the size of a quarter (coin))... If I co wash every couple of days I lose a few hairs here and there (all shed, non broken)

This is my after shower detanging method http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmtRjIgg_lE
this is the time I apply leave ins... I found apply some hair oil then combing makes detangling ssooo much easier b/c the combs glides through...

In this video I am like 5 months post or so. I dont really keep track of when I get relaxers.

HTH

I just saw your youtube vid. It amazing how little hair you lost while detangling...!!! That's only a dream for me. Hey maybe that dream will come true.... :yep:

Hair Mayo + egg = tangly hair for me... all the time :nono:
I'd pre-poo with a cholesterol product + oils instead... great slip guaranteed. :yep:

:ohwell: Thanks! It seems I'm having the hardest time find a healthy regimen for my hair. All this work may not be worth it. :sad:

To ensure great slip and easy detangling, I prefer products made for African American hair. These are my favs, in order of preference:

Elasta QP Creme Conditioning Shampoo-This is so mild that it's more like a cowash. VERY hydrating with no sulfates and great slip. I use this a lot, following with ORS Replenishing Conditioner under a warm dryer for 20 minutes. This leaves my hair the softest. The ORS Olive Oil Aloe Shampoo is also excellent with the Replenishing Conditioner.

Motions CPR Treatment Shampoo followed by either the Protein Reconstructor or CPR Treatment Conditioner under the dryer for 20 minutes. Motions Lavish Conditioning Shampoo followed by Motions Moisture Rich Conditioner also works well if you sit under a warm dryer for 15-20 minutes while the conditioner is in your hair.

Creme of Nature Kiwi & Citrus Moisture Active Shampoo--The new formulation in the orange bottle has sulfates: it's not quite as good as the old stuff in the green and white bottle, but it's still mild and works well. I follow this with the Moisture Active Deep Conditioning Treatment.

I dislike all of the expensive "salon" Kenra, Mizani, Keracare type products. My hair hates them as well as any product not geared specifically for AA hair.

IMO, the key to halting breakage and maintaining length for our hair is keeping it detangled, using products with slip, slip and MORE slip and finding products with a correct water/oil ratio for moisturizing hair. If you're stretching, doing this becomes even more critical. I LOVE Cathy Howse' Ultra Black Hair Lotion moisturizer for my daily moisture regimen. It is fragrance free and seems to have a little more water than oil. Many of us prefer oilier moisturizers like ORS olive oil moisturizer and Keracare. It's a personal preference.

Last edited:
The ORS Hair Mayo + Egg is a lot of protein.

I discovered the last time I tried to stretch that my hair HATES hard proteins. It caused a lot of breakage when I tried to detangle my new growth. I ended my stretch early and went back on MN to try to regain my lost hair.

What I have figured out is that I am better off using a light protein (like Nexxus Keraphix or Motions CPR) once a week followed by DC twice a week than I am using a hard protein like Aphogee once every 6 to 8 weeks. Hard proteins are just too much for my hair.

Does anyone else have a problem with tangly ends? The salt method works pretty well but Im tired of my ends tangling up very badly, I lose a lot of hair that way. Are there any good conditioners that will give me slip and detangle very easily? It's becoming increasingly hard to detangle even when Im loaded up with product in the shower.

Thank you soooo much! I have the following protein leave-ins:
Lacio Lacio
HE LTR
Motions

Looks like I'll be using them while stretching...!!!

You're Welcome - I don't know about the last two but the Lacio Lacio is great for slip and definitely known for its shine....

How do you detangle your post relaxed hair? I was in sections, then use Stabilizer Plus by itself or after conditioning
  1. Do you detangle AFTER deep conditioning with heat? NO
  2. Do you normally lose a lot of hair? Sometimes
  3. Is it normal to lose a big ball of hair everytime you detangle? Yes

Hi, I am almost six months post. I don't detangle on dry hair. I wash my hair in sections, then I use my hello hydration conditioner to detangle b/c I find that it has good slip and is cheap so I can use alot of it. I apply the conditioner and then place my head under the shower head and then detangle with my shower comb while the shower stream is running through my hair. Between the conditioner and the shower stream there is lots of slip and is easy to detangle. Then I deep condition my hair. I don't have to fight with my hair too much here b/c I have already detangled. But b/c I already detangled my hair I am able to get my conditioner all the way through my hair meaning every strand. I then steam my hair which I find helps to soak the conditioner in even further. Then I rinse and maybe run my comb through my hair again while under the shower stream washing the dc out. The I apply a leave in with lots of slip. I currently like Elucence moisture balancing conditioner. With all these steps I don't really lose any hair. Hope this helps.

Again, exactly what I need....more details on how to detangle with lots of conditioner under running water. :yep: Thanks!

I use aubrey organics Island naturals detangling conditioner and that really helps with the tangles and also giovanni direct leave in weightless moisture helps ease out the tangles too :)

sheryls tresses thanks soooo much for this thread
I'm having the same problem, with the detangling and the thinning
I haven't tried these products yet but people on here have recommended

L'anza detangler

for tangles
I'm considering trying it out.

Yes, I thank you for posting this as well. I always lose TONS of hair when I rollerset (1-2 giant balls). I get inpatient and rake through may hair, figuring nothing will work. I get frustrated, tired, and begin to resent this beautiful hair God blessed me with :sad: I too have experiences decent growth but my hair is thin. Each time I rollerset I feel like I am setting myself up for baldness in a couple years.....

Poor SO has to convince me each week that I am not losing a ton of hair and it is normal...... detangling has become a nightmare!!!! :wallbash:

All these methods are great. It seems like a lot of work to detangle under the shower with conditioner, but that may have to do the trick. I think my protein/moisture balance maybe off as well. Nonetheless, it is comforting to know that other people are experiencing this problem as well.

Thank you ladies for all your help!!!!!

For shampooing, I like to use a natural, sulfate-free shampoo for my scalp and a super slippy sulfate shampoo for the length of my hair (I just scrunch the shampoo into my hair and rinse).

I have a couple of condishes that give me super slip but I was trying to also use the other ones too that I don't like too much. I think I will be just getting rid of them now b/c it isn't worth it.

Thanks!

This used to happen to me. I used to do the same thing you do, prepoo w/ protein (ORS Mayo) then shampoo, then use a moisturizing DC, then detangle under running water. I'm a type 4a/b relaxed.

Now, I only loose a very few hairs when I detangle.

What I do differently:

Prepoo with oil, not conditioner (and I only ocassionally pre-poo)

Shampoo w/moisturizing poo
Protein Reconstructor (Aphogee 2 minute weekly, but the 4th week Nexxus Emergencee)
Moisturizing DC
I detangle enough to get the conditioner through my hair, then finish detangling when I come from under the dryer with the DC still in my hair, but not under running water.

I lose VERY little hair during detangling now.

ETA: I used to lose way too much hair when I detangled with Nexxus Humectress. Now I only use it as a leave-in.

If you must DC with Humectress, perhaps you should try detangling after you've already rinsed the Humectress out and put in your leave-in.

Last edited:
Back