Help! What can I use to keep my natural curly hair from reverting?

Misshairdiva

In the summer I do wash n go's. Sept thru May I get my hair roller set and blow dried out. I am sooo tired of having to wear hats in the morning or during the day if its humid because with just a little humidity my hair will revert. I use Wen 613 and Ojon and before my stylist blow dries my hair she puts on Sabino, but my hair STILL reverts! I love the fact that since 2008 that I have been natural so I dont want to start using relaxes. Any advice would be helpful to stop reversion!!

The most success I've had with keeping my hair from frizzing, was when I stayed away from serums and cones and applied a combo of humectant free products.

I used a leave in, and a mixture of gel and mousse, before drying. I also used a little bit of oil, but my hair doesn't get weighed down easily.

Gel keeps my wash n goes frizz free, so I thought it might work for straightening and it did! :yay: I decided to try nonhumectant gel because that is actually the exact opposite of what works best for my wash n goes, I like those to be big.:grin:

Misshairdiva, I think using a moisturizer on your hair before a serum is the reason you have reversion. I believe moisturizer prevent proper adhesion of serums to your hair so that your hair isn't properly sealed...and hence moisture can get in.

What I think you need to do is DC well during your wash to provide all the moisture your hair needs. Then airdry in plaits to stretch your hair. When hair is fully dry, spray it with John Frieda Frizz Ease Heat Defeat to get it moist. Why dry it first if you're going to get it wet again? Because you want to make sure that when you apply this heat protectant spray, it is coating every inch of your hair. If your hair was still wet, you would not be able to tell whether you've applied it to coat your hair well and hence whether your hair is well protected. Do not get your hair wet, get it moist but apply to narrow sections at a time so you can be sure you've coated it well. I would part a section. Apply Heat Defeat. Blow Dry. Then move on to another area and repeat.

When done, part narrow sections now and apply Sabino or whatever serum you like (I am a John Frieda Frizz Ease Thermal Protection Serum gal). Again aim to apply well, NOT A LOT. Just make sure you coat the strands well, and if you are parting narrow sections, it'll be easy to rub serum between fingers and smooth from base to ends, then blow dry.

I think you'll be surprised at how well your hair will hold the blow dried shape w/o reverting if you don't use anything that isn't a heat protectant during your blowdrying.

In the summer I do wash n go's. Sept thru May I get my hair roller set and blow dried out. I am sooo tired of having to wear hats in the morning or during the day if its humid because with just a little humidity my hair will revert. I use Wen 613 and Ojon and before my stylist blow dries my hair she puts on Sabino, but my hair STILL reverts! I love the fact that since 2008 that I have been natural so I dont want to start using relaxes. Any advice would be helpful to stop reversion!!

Try Carol's daughter Chocolat blow drying cream. Your hair will stay straight for days no matter the weather. I tried Sabino in the past too and it didn't work at all.

Back