Help wanted (desperately!)

longr

Hi ladies,

In 2004 I began lurking on this website and following your tips. I had always had very thick, coarse hair, but my hair grew from just above shoulder length (layered) to blunt BSL in a 1.5 years. In June 2006, I received a relaxer from a Dominican stylist, whom I believe was too obsessed with getting my hair super-straight, and even though I insisted she wash it out, took her time, resulting in bad chemical burns on my scalp. About 8-10 weeks later, my I lost at least 25-33% of my hair volume, maybe even more. :sad:

then I have done all I can to grow back in the thickness by letting it grow and trimming the new growth, etc. Nothing seems to be working. Any suggestions? I am desperate! I am used to thick hair and now when I run my hand through my hair, I feel like nothing's there even though my friends insist I still have alot.

I am very depressed about this and have considered, just radically cutting most of my length... I don't really want to though...:wallbash:

Please, I am open to any suggestions...

Don't be depressed. You'll have help from all the ladies in here soon.
I'll start with a few questions.
Do you still relax your hair?
If you do, Maybe you should try stretching your relaxers apart. I suggest 16 weeks. This should help thicken the new growth.
Also have you done an aggressive trim? Usually cutting off 2 or 3 inches, kinda blunt will make your hair feel and appear thicker.

Do you ever wear braid extensions or cornrows? (but not too tight) especially around the hairline. These are a wonderful tool for protecting your hair while it grows.

You may also want to look around in here to learn about baggying your ends. Some ladies have regained thinckness that way.

I'd really like to see a photo if you have one.

Eesh! Girly don't stress it too much... If you could reach BSL once believe me you can do it again. Your hair went through a lot of trauma and is now getting back into the habit of being healthy. It's as if you just gave birth to sextoplets and are now just returning to the gym to get back to your normal body weight. Give it time girl, you'll get there once again.:perplexed

Sorry this happened to you. Castor oil has worked to thicken my hair up.

Best of luck. Dont cut, baby it.

ITA with ChocolateDiva. I would consider a nice trim and then slowly trim away the damaged hair over time. I think it would be traumatizing to you to just cut it super short. In time it will thicken up again. I'm so sorry this happened to you. Try to stay positive, although I know it's hard right now.

I've tried waiting 10-12 weeks between relaxers but, when I do, results in more breakage due to (I think) the difference in textures....

(sigh!) I am at my wit's end...

Don't be depressed. You'll have help from all the ladies in here soon.
I'll start with a few questions.
Do you still relax your hair?
If you do, Maybe you should try stretching your relaxers apart. I suggest 16 weeks. This should help thicken the new growth.
Also have you done an aggressive trim? Usually cutting off 2 or 3 inches, kinda blunt will make your hair feel and appear thicker.

Do you ever wear braid extensions or cornrows? (but not too tight) especially around the hairline. These are a wonderful tool for protecting your hair while it grows.

You may also want to look around in here to learn about baggying your ends. Some ladies have regained thinckness that way.

I'd really like to see a photo if you have one.

Forgive me, ladies... I am just learning how to post (been a lurker too long!)

1. I do still relax my hair...I've tried waiting 10-12 weeks between relaxers but, when I do, results in more breakage due to (I think) the difference in textures....

2. I cut about 4 inches off in September, but the ends of my hair still look thin (my mom noted she could see thru my hair at the bottom)... I guess my hair is a little past APL now & I've been thinking of cutting another 3-4, but I kinda want to show it some love for 3 months. (I usually trim every 6 mo or so).

3. I used to wear braids all the time until 2003, but stopped after noticing thinning around the hairline, which corrected itself somewhat when I stopped.

4. I've been thinking of using some of the MN recipes I saw on LHCF before the holidays, but I have to get my hands on some coconut oil...

(sigh!) I am at my wit's end...

Do you ever do protein treatments?

I used aphogee for a while right after suffering the extreme breakage. I got away from it, but just re-started last week.

I trying to remember to take my daily msm and Omega 3 oil supplement, but I have a hard time remembering to take any pills/vitamins... but I'm gonna try harder.

Have you tried using MN or BT?

I've ordered sulfur from my drugstore after seeing the MN recipes last month. But where can I find the coconut oil? Has the MN worked for you?

Also I just received a bottle of BT in the mail. Would it be overkill to use both?

Have you tried using MN or BT?

I've ordered sulfur from my drugstore after seeing the MN recipes last month. But where can I find the coconut oil? Has the MN worked for you?

Also I just received a bottle of BT in the mail. Would it be overkill to use both?

Longr.....What is your regime?

What do you use and how often?

I have a theory of what is really going on but I need to know what you use now.

Longr.....What is your regime?

What do you use and how often?

I have a theory of what is really going on but I need to know what you use now.

I can't say I have one... been trying to decide exactly what to do. I wash & deep condition my hair every 7-10 days. If I do it, I let it air dry and wear it in a bun. If I go to the salon, they roller set and the blow it out w/ a curling brush. I purchased the BT before leaving for the holidays. It arrived a few days ago...

I'm ready to start something (anything, really!) but need some guidance.

Getting the length to grow out a few years ago was easy...I just had to learn to leave my hair alone (ie: no heat, deep conditioning), but I'm not at all sure how to get it to re-thicken. I've never had this problem before...

Last edited:
I can't say I have one... been trying to decide exactly what to do. I wash & deep condition my hair every 7-10 days. If I do it, I let it air dry and wear it in a bun. If I go to the salon, they roller set and the blow it out w/ a curling brush. I purchased the BT before leaving for the holidays. It arrived a few days ago...

I'm ready to start something (anything, really!) but need some guidance.

Getting the length to grow out a few years ago was easy...I just had to learn to leave my hair alone (ie: no heat, deep conditioning), but I'm not at all sure how to get it to re-thicken. I've never had this problem before...

My theory is that the relaxer you had last year caused low grade scalp damage because it wasn't properly neutralized. That would explain the drastic amount of hair loss and the weakness you are experiencing with your other strands. From this point I would recommend you acess your protein moisture balance first. This will help restore and maintain your elasticity to keep hair on your head. Try using products with silk and wheat protein to help gently strengthen and help your hair retain moisture. Also look for conditioners with marine protein for extra elasticity. Keep manipulation at a minimum. Make sure the salon is using a heat protectant serum on your hair before they blow it out. If they don't consider bringing one with you.

Also, you may want to try using Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) rinses after rinsing out your deep conditioners to help with potential porosity issues. This will give your cuticles more support while you are working on repairing the damage.

In addition, check out the thread on Ceramides, which will also give you support and help to repair some of the damage. I am sure that there are sites on the shaft that are going to be more vulnerable to damage than other sections of the hair due to your relaxer experience. Look for deep conditioners that contain ceramides and you should feel and see a difference after a few sessions.

At what times and how did you use it to achieve this result?

Castor oil gives my hair volume and softness; so try it! It is definitely a staple for me. I use it in three ways.

• I add it to my DC.
  • I add it to my leave in conditioner
  • I use it as a sealant after I have moisturized, every other day.

It’s very thick so use sparingly except in the DC. Remember, you can always add more but you cant take it out unless you want to rewash your hair.

HTH

My theory is that the relaxer you had last year caused low grade scalp damage because it wasn't properly neutralized. That would explain the drastic amount of hair loss and the weakness you are experiencing with your other strands. From this point I would recommend you acess your protein moisture balance first. This will help restore and maintain your elasticity to keep hair on your head. Try using products with silk and wheat protein to help gently strengthen and help your hair retain moisture. Also look for conditioners with marine protein for extra elasticity. Keep manipulation at a minimum. Make sure the salon is using a heat protectant serum on your hair before they blow it out. If they don't consider bringing one with you.

Thank you for the information. Can you suggest any products with these ingredients?

Also... you suggested I suffered low grade scalp damage. Should I expect to ever regain my thickness...or will any new hair that grows in be weakened as well...:nono:

Last edited:
Also, you may want to try using Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) rinses after rinsing out your deep conditioners to help with potential porosity issues. This will give your cuticles more support while you are working on repairing the damage.

In addition, check out the thread on Ceramides, which will also give you support and help to repair some of the damage. I am sure that there are sites on the shaft that are going to be more vulnerable to damage than other sections of the hair due to your relaxer experience. Look for deep conditioners that contain ceramides and you should feel and see a difference after a few sessions.

Thank you. I will definitely check out that thread...

Thank you for the information. I will look for products with these ingredients.

But... you suggested I suffered low grade scalp damage. Should I expect to ever regain my thickness...or will any new hair that grows in be weakened as well...:nono:

I think you can get the thickness back. Low grade scalp damage usually doesn't cause permanent problems. Keep working at it. Be gentle to your hair and scalp. Using a topical product that is rich in nutrients will help. I read you bought BT, That should help too since sulfur is very nourishing to damaged skin tissues.

Back