Help! Shorter pieces of hair all over my head

Endlesslegs

Hello ladies

I've got a full head of natural hair currently about 5 1/2 inches long all over. However, some of my strands are only half an inch long. Its really bizzare. I dont really get breakage that often so I dont know why they are that short. Is my hair breaking and Im not noticing? I watch my hair like a hawk so Im so confused.

Please what do I do ladies? Its starting to bother me now:ohwell::sad:

Does anyone else have this problem?

My regime is dead simple
I cowash everyday
I currently have my hair in tiny plaits (think micro braids) with my own hair
and moisturize with shea butter...
oil my plaits with moegro or virgin hair fertilizer.

Maybe your overmoisturizing? When I was CWing everyday I started to get that and it was because I was on moisture overload and needed protein treatments badly.

Thanks ladies

Vivez, I make sure I alternate between moisturizing and protein conditioners and I even bought the Aphogee 2 minute reconstructor yesterday.

Ive tried not cowashing everyday but I cant help not touching my hair! terrible...I may be over manipulating it without knowing

Thank you

I would say over moisturizing too. I use to co wash daily alot like vives. I went almost a year without trimming my hair and still had blunt ends until I was co washing daily to every other day. I decreased the CWing, decreased the amount of olive oil and the times i oil my hair. my hair i doing better now. I see less breakage and shedding

I have the same problem - for me, I think it was just breakage that I never noticed before. Since I've been taking care of my hair, I've noticed that the short pieces are getting longer too.

What you're describing sounds totally normal. We're constantly shedding some hairs and growing new ones in their place, so everyone should have a few shorter hairs on their head as part of the natural hair cycle.

Oh gosh! Thank you so much for responding ladies. Everyone on here seems to have such perfect hair so I as just worried about my progress. I'll take ur advice on board..cheers x

How are you manipulating your hair when you wash, are you using a brush like a denman. Some have noticed breakage with it. I only use it after detangling NOT to detangle, and very rarely...just a thought. Also everyone keeps mentioning over moisturizing but you need to check and see how dry your hair is and the elasticity. The aphogee doesn't work for me and causes breakages so I avoid it like the plague. You need to find out if your hair needs more moisture, or more protein. Do a strand test to check, so that you can see which info to follow (moisture? or protein)? I'm natural too btw

Last edited:
How are you manipulating your hair when you wash, are you using a brush like a denman. Some have noticed breakage with it. I only use it after detangling NOT to detangle, and very rarely...just a thought. Also everyone keeps mentioning over moisturizing but you need to check and see how dry your hair is and the elasticity. The aphogee doesn't work for me and causes breakages so I avoid it like the plague. You need to find out if your hair needs more moisture, or more protein. Do a strand test to check, so that you can see which info to follow (moisture? or protein)? I'm natural too btw

Thanks for your response

I manipulate my hair with a large comb once a month when I take down my plaits. This time Im leavin my plaits in for a while at least 2 months. I use my denman very rarely and when I do its after detangling as well.

This is how I wear my hair everyday under my lacefront

122yuck.jpg

m97lgi.jpg

I always feel my hair is dry but everyone that touches my hair says otherwise. I find it hard to determine what I need so I just alternate between protein and moisture.

My staples are
vo5 strawberries and cream:lick:
Mane and Tale deep moisturising con
Silicon mix
ORS
I tend to mix them all together for my deep con on weekends
and use the first two alternatively on weekdays:look:

I don't know much about lacefronts - do you have to pin it down to your hair in places to make sure it doesn't move, like with a wig?
I know that some have experienced breakage with wigs because of this 'pinning down'.
How is a lacefront attached?

I always feel my hair is dry but everyone that touches my hair says otherwise. I find it hard to determine what I need so I just alternate between protein and moisture.

My staples are
vo5 strawberries and cream:lick:
Mane and Tale deep moisturising con
Silicon mix
ORS
I tend to mix them all together for my deep con on weekends
and use the first two alternatively on weekdays:look:

I think it's moisture oversaturation. Try the Silicon Mix or Ors alone for the deep con on weekends. You might want to switch to a shampoo like Creme of Nature for washing and dilute that and manipulate the scalp only. To keep a balance of moisture and oil in the hair, after washing, try the shea butter (maybe mix that with avocado butter, mango or olive oil and blend into it) when it's wet. Use a silk or satin scarf at nights. You might also want to consider changing the type of style you're wearing. Some people can successfully wear micros and others can't. I found they damaged my hair after 2 months. Bigger braids?? I hope it resolves because seeing all those breaking hairs is frustrating, I know.

I don't know much about lacefronts - do you have to pin it down to your hair in places to make sure it doesn't move, like with a wig?
I know that some have experienced breakage with wigs because of this 'pinning down'.
How is a lacefront attached?

Hello, I pin it or glue the front down but I dont experience any breakage in the areas where it is pinned. thank you for your advise hwiseman. when I take this out my braids will be bigger!

Hiii...take a look at the ends of these short hairs you have...are the ends blunt or tapered? Blunt ends would mean that's where it broke...tapered would mean that's a hair that's been growing in to replace a shed hair. hth

Does anyone else have this problem?

Yes I do. And I'm a 4a/b natural. I noticed it especially @ the crown area, I wanted to start a similar thread&post pics. I do moisturize my hair A LOT, but I've already done two protein treatments in the last two months. I really hope more people chime in and give advice, cause it's really bothering me too.

What you're describing sounds totally normal. We're constantly shedding some hairs and growing new ones in their place, so everyone should have a few shorter hairs on their head as part of the natural hair cycle.

Exactly :yep:

You know that not every hair is as long as the longest hair. We shed HUNDREDS of hairs a week.

Those hairs eventually start growing back, so you will have MANY shorter hairs of all lengths in your head. Thousands and thousands. It's going to happen regardless if you shed a lot, have shed recently or if you only shed a little. It's how your hair is supposed to be.

I would only worry if your hair is thinning noticeably... that's how you would know it's abnormal.

Last edited:
Back